Objectivist Roundup

Jonathan

I'm starting to like Max Headroom.

I say we trade him to this site for some future draft picks, or perhaps that dude who used to draw dresses. Or maybe we could throw in a future de-flounced Phil Coates.

In fact--and I realize this isn't my call-- the only posters off limits for this trade would be Jonathan, Daunce, and perhaps Brant. And Greg and Adam. And Ghs, obviously. And Tony.

It seems pretty obvious to me now that LP started that thread to bait MM into making the kind of remarks he has been making to let him hang himself as payback to an earlier thread that MM wasted him on. He let Moeller Moeller himself ("He got Moellered" was LP's chortle when he let MM roll over someone else), not necessarily factually, but in terms of the how to of addressing and engaging people who object to his position(s).

--Brant

silly stuff, regardless

David,

And all of us.

(Everyone is free to do their own will instead of being traded by another.)

:smile:

Besides, MM doesn't like me (Headroom MM, not our own Michael Marotta MM).

Fancy that.

(Besides, he's so KASSSSSSSSSSS... :) )

Michael

Somehow I would have guessed that you were too squishy for Max. Oh hell, let's play the team we have. Trades are overrated.

David,

To be fair, Headroom sounds like a good lawyer. Over time, I have read some things about intellectual property (and some other things dealing with other legal matters) that he wrote. From doing years of legal translations in Brazil, I know he is solidly grounded. He doesn't just regurgitate this stuff. He owns it in his arguments. He understands it down to the core, much more than the people he generally discusses these issues with.

I part ways when it comes to MM Headroom's Virtue of Obnoxiousness Doctrine. :)

After all, why just argue a fact when you can also include a kindergarten taunt while you're at it? Or hell, why stop at one? And why not do this every single time? If feels so good! :)

In MMH's VOO Doctrine, passion for ideas does not exist without budding alpha male competitiveness. Truth is not truth unless you trounce someone, spit in their face, bear your chest and declare victory to the adoring onlookers. :)

And if you mess up and get something wrong (which happens more often than comfortable), never admit it. Never ever ever ever. Don't just declare you won. Shout victory! Tarzan yell and all. Don't just spit. Piss on the person!

:)

Be Randish! (She pissed on people, right?) Be a WINNER! Be KASSSSSSSS!

:)

Michael

What you say is so true. The understated argument is quite powerful. The Tarzan yells are not. I applaud his willingness to call LP on the carpet in the thread over there, however. Were he to dial down the rhetoric about 2 notches, his arguments would sing. My suspicion is that he has learned his JFK assassination arguments at the knee of Vincent Bugliosi, who wrote a masive tome on the subject, and tends toward the belittling style of argumentation.

David,

They're all silly.

Everybody who knows anything knows Jackie blew the head off that philandering lowlife. And it ties neatly into the Jewish plot to take over the world. Jackie was secretly Jewish. Johnson was secretly Jewish. Hell, Zapruder himself was openly Jewish.

I, personally, think Zapruder had a secret gun attached to his camera as backup in case Jackie got cold feet.

Michael

EDIT: Just joking. I know you, the reader, knows that. But I gotta say it because I'm not so sure the search engines do. So that's a joke joke joke. Get it, bots? The keyword is joke! :)

I recently discovered two (2) new pieces of testimony amidst all the interviews on C-SPAN and radio interviews.

First, Jack Ruby "appeared" at the steps of an "NBC" [?] on location truck that was trying to get a tight shot on the doorway of the building wherein Oswals was to be transfered to death!

He asked the reporter what he was trying to set up and then said come with me I will get you in...

And, a long interview with Oswald's young, 19 year old, co-worker, who drove Oswald into work at the Book Depository that morning.

He stated, with absolute certainty, that the "package" that Oswald carried with the "curtain rods" was to short to have carried the Italian Carcano rifle by some twelve (12) to fifteen (15) inches.

Therefore, he did not bring the alleged assassination weapon with him the morning of November 22nd 1963.

A...

• 4 weeks later...

Pigero Pulls the Plug:

"Please note that as from Jan 1, 2014, SOLOPassion.com will cease to be active; it will be accessible, but inert (in this latter respect it will be hard to notice a difference from recent times, but the salient point is that it will no longer be possible to post anything new here). I thank all those, friends and adversaries alike, who made SOLO, in its heyday, such a lively and in some ways seminal forum. I accept that those days are past and I can no longer justify the expense to myself of keeping it going. I also know that I must make the effort to lay out my own differences with Objectivism systematically, and use them as the springboard for a new personal Credo—currently a series of mere sketches—which I shall bring to fruition on a reactivated SOLO (thenceforth meaning small 'o' objectivists) or entirely new site in due course. There are many things I want to say, but I shall save them for that occasion."

Jonathan,

It might sound petty, but the first thought in my mind on reading your post was now that Barbara has passed, this creepy little soul has no reason for keeping his site going. He thrives on hatred and he defined himself in O-Land by the one person he hated more than anyone else--the mother figure who rejected him.

But now she's gone and, thus, the motor of his ambition evaporated.

I saw something interesting the other day on that site, though. Perigo teamed up with Jeff Rense (a conspiracy dude who makes Alex Jones look like the soul of objectivity) to worship at the altar of Mario Lanza. I listened to a little of the radio interview (see here) and I thought this is what that creep should be doing. He's pure true believer material, he does that schtick well, and at least Lanza worship is positive.

I feel sorry for the O-Land true believers around him who thought he was doing something important. Their god is walking off and leaving them in the lurch. It was hatred and bluster, not important matters, moving his heart and now they are going to have to face a different reality. Even though I should feel schadenfreude after all the crap they've thrown at OL (and at lots of good people), and I even want to, I actually feel pity for them.

Michael

I am intrigued by the faint praise phrase "in some ways seminal." In which ways, by what measure? What hath it wrought?

Like PDS I do not feel happy to hear of life-support being pulled from the living, no matter how corpse-like they appear. I also agree with Jonathan that a less heavy hand on the red button would have better served Lindsay's goals.

Now he has semi-retired, we can look back all the way to him atop the original SOLO, before the series of 'breaks' took their toll, a much more fecund time for online O and for Lindsay.

To be filed under 'Passings' ...

Jonathan,

It might sound petty, but the first thought in my mind on reading your post was now that Barbara has passed, this creepy little soul has no reason for keeping his site going. He thrives on hatred and he defined himself in O-Land by the one person he hated more than anyone else--the mother figure who rejected him.

Linz was talking of feeling like closing SOLO some months ago.

Ellen

After eight years of it he ran out of steam. KASS was a dubious idea; a cultural fob off he repaired to with little substance. "The total passion for the total height" is straight out of The Fountainhead begging the questions of who, what, when, where and why? These invite evaluation in the context of that novel and Rand's own attitudes, but this guy just ripped them out without any examination so to say except a few ad hocs.

--Brant

that was mindless, frankly

Jonathan,

Linz was talking of feeling like closing SOLO some months ago.

Ellen

Still, I wouldn't dismiss Barbara's passing as possibly playing a part. I think that MSK is right about how important hating Barbara was to Pigero. His entire view of reality was distorted by that hatred. It seemed to have affected his every thought. So many times I saw him, out of the blue, go off on a rant about something being Barbara's fault that had nothing to do with her.

J

Still, I wouldn't dismiss Barbara's passing as possibly playing a part.

I wouldn't dismiss it as possibly playing a part, but it isn't what put the thought in his head, as he was already indicating that he was feeling like just closing SOLO some months back. The threads where I noticed him saying this were during the arguments about Doug Bandler. (One of the threads ended up being taken down by its originator, Brian Wright, if I remember the name correctly.) Among the sources of depression about SOLO which Linz mentioned was the discovery that Doug was using a false name. Plus, he'd become generally disaffected by "Objectivism" and was talking of working out his own modified philosophy.

Ellen

Another person I know has another theory. (I won't mention this person's name as I'm not sure the person wants me to within this context.)

This person believes Perigo has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he stopped getting his worship fix on SLOP. The person also believes if the people start falling all over Perigo during his swan song, he will have a change of heart and decide it is worth the "sacrifice" after all.

Here is what I wrote to this person:

Earlier this morning, I had listened to about 20 minutes of the interview between Jeff Rense and Perigo. But it is a 2 hour interview and that was too much for me.

Just now, after reflecting on your prism of Perigo, as I was upstairs doing something else, it suddenly occurred to me that he is getting the worship he craves from Rense himself. You should hear how Rense fawns all over him in the interview. It's suck-up city.

Nobody on SLOP comes close to that these days. And Rense is famous, albeit a goofball. But famous with an audience.

I still think Perigo, himself, is true believer material, but I can't help notice that the gods he worships are always dead. Rand was dead. Lanza is dead. When he was a communist, Marx was dead.

The kind of worship he wants for himself is not that due to the prime mover. He is the second-hander disciple who steps into prepared territory and starts laying down the rules in the name of the "true master."

In his brand of narcissism and martyrdom, he is not Jesus. He is Paul.

I bet he had some righteous plans to discredit Peikoff and ARI brewing if he had been taken seriously. In fact, my memory is nagging me on this from the time I was close to him...

Heh. I should have said he was no L. Ron Hubbard, but instead a David Miscavige. :smile: (But I didn't want to establish an insinuation between Rand and Hubbard.)

This was an insight I had not considered before when I kept calling this creep a "guru-wannabe."

I have since studied works on the psychology of gurus, including a wonderful book called Feet Of Clay by Anthony Storr. Perigo doesn't resemble a true guru in the slightest. But he does resemble Peikoff, especially the petty side.

I will now start looking for works on those who crave to be The Heir of the Guru, or The Guru's Top Disciple and Defender. I think their psychology is quite different, but still fascinating.

But I'm still holding to my guns about Barbara being in the mix--and strongly so--with Perigo. I don't believe in a coincidence of this magnitude with him. Not after all that hatred he spewed over years.

Michael

No one else has suggested it yet, so how about this theory: the time has rolled around to pay an annual fee for the forum software, and that's the straw breaking the Hutt's back. How does Jabba pay his bills anyway? Does he have a job? I doubt his new volume on Mario Lanza is any sub-breed of cash cow.

I recently discovered two (2) new pieces of testimony amidst all the interviews on C-SPAN and radio interviews.

First, Jack Ruby "appeared" at the steps of an "NBC" [?] on location truck that was trying to get a tight shot on the doorway of the building wherein Oswals was to be transfered to death!

He asked the reporter what he was trying to set up and then said come with me I will get you in...

And, a long interview with Oswald's young, 19 year old, co-worker, who drove Oswald into work at the Book Depository that morning.

He stated, with absolute certainty, that the "package" that Oswald carried with the "curtain rods" was to short to have carried the Italian Carcano rifle by some twelve (12) to fifteen (15) inches.

Therefore, he did not bring the alleged assassination weapon with him the morning of November 22nd 1963.

A...

Interesting, Adam.

I have a hard time believing Oswald could fire off, with such accuracy, in such a short period of time & with his target moving and below him (bullet drop is an issue when shooting below eye-level).