Best TV sitcom, ever.

anthony

Back in "Cheers!" days I remember thinking this is as good as it gets. Then much later "Two and a Half Men" - which I still fancy (Sheen's replacement has just made an entrance here), and a I'm quite

charmed by that quirky family in Ohio or somewhere - "The Middle". Then theres a British

show "My Family" that is tops. Hmm.

But all my votes are in, and the all-time winner is - Cliff Huxtable and family:

"The Cosby Show."

(Been seeing ancient re-runs, and it is evergreen - intelligent and warm. The man's a genius!)

Strange about my take on Seinfeld, cos I enjoy witty intelligent shows with off-beat humour.

Can it be it's too "cerebral" and astute for my taste? I can't figure why.

The Office, I've only seen in the original Brit version, and cracked up at the time - but somehow

it didn't have 'legs' for me much later on.

Strange about my take on Seinfeld, cos I enjoy witty intelligent shows with off-beat humour.

Can it be it's too "cerebral" and astute for my taste? I can't figure why.

The Office, I've only seen in the original Brit version, and cracked up at the time - but somehow

it didn't have 'legs' for me much later on.

No, Seinfeld is not too astute and cerebral for anybody. It is just not so much a sitcom as a fleshed-out standup routine, "a show about nothing" as self-billed; definitely not one of the greats. Certainly, one of the most successful.

I gather we are only talking about American sitcoms here. There is an Australian one from the 70s or 80s that we got here, about a middle-aged man living with his mother who is getting progressively demented. It was wonderful, funny, wrenching, and the actress playing the mother was Oscar worthy in every episode. I wish I could remember the name! Did you happen to get it in SA?

I gather we are only talking about American sitcoms here. There is an Australian one from the 70s or 80s that we got here, about a middle-aged man living with his mother who is getting progressively demented. It was wonderful, funny, wrenching, and the actress playing the mother was Oscar worthy in every episode. I wish I could remember the name! Did you happen to get it in SA?

Don't think so, no. The fare is nearly all from the UK and the US, here.

And yeah, anything goes - no criteria. Subj...um - *personal* tastes in sitcoms invited.

Don't think so, no. The fare is nearly all from the UK and the US, here.

And yeah, anything goes - no criteria. Subj...um - *personal* tastes in sitcoms invited.

All from UK and US! You never got Due South? (it was shown in US and quite successful) Best Cdn export ever.

Or those great Aussie series, Brides of Christ and Caged Women? About the adventures of novice nuns and female inmates respectively. We called them both "Imprisoned Ladies".

What use is the Commonwealth anyway?