O'Reilly on OWS and anti-capitalism

where are the broads?

I have always wanted know what exactly the term 'broad' refers to. Is it used because women have broader hips than men?

\

Yes, that is the reason.

The slang "broad" was in common use when I was a kid, and you find it in a lot of old movies. It later was construed as offensive or as a put down, but that's not how it was normally understood at the time. To be called "a good-looking broad" was an unadulterated compliment, if not a very sophisticated one.

Ghs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Occupy Wall Street Shrugs" - a great article by Robert Tracinski, puts it all in perspective.

I received it from a friend, but cannot provide a link.

Would someone be so kind as to go to his blog "TIA Daily" and link it here?

thanks

The slang "broad" was in common use when I was a kid, and you find it in a lot of old movies. It later was construed as offensive or as a put down, but that's not how it was normally understood at the time. To be called "a good-looking broad" was an unadulterated compliment, if not a very sophisticated one.

The offensive connotation "broad" has nowadays, led to changing the term "broad jump" to "long jump". :smile:

From the Online Etymology Dictionary: http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump

What's nice about Internet forums is a multitude of alpha males can occupy the same space and metaphorically tear each other to pieces while maintaining their own inviolable contexts.

--Brant

where are the broads?

Females tend to choose other 'battlefields' ...

The offensive connotation "broad" has nowadays, led to changing the term "broad jump" to "long jump". :smile:

From the Online Etymology Dictionary: http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump

Okay, but this still leaves expressions like "broad sense of humor," "broad tastes," "broad-minded," "broadtail," "Broadway," "broad-brush" -- the list goes on and on. The PC police still have a lot of work to do. ^_^

Ghs

• 2 months later...

Found this hilarious letter in our local paper:

-----------------------------------------------------------

"

Occupy protest is not realistic

I am a member of the .001 percent. I play golf, but have not made it to the professional level.

I have played the "game" for over 40 years, but have not put in the time or study to be the best.

However, I now feel that I should be paid by the successful professionals for trying.

It isn't fair that those players who have worked harder, have studied the game, have better equipment and are stronger should make all the money.

Oh sure, they have their charities that they give millions of dollars to, but I am sure that they write that all off on their taxes. Is that fair?

They should pay for my golf and buy me new equipment. The whole system should be changed to accommodate me!

Occupy a golf course and demand that those who are better at what they do pay for us who aren't as good.

Whining should be worth something!

Fill in your own analogy.

Robert M. Whalen

Pleasant Hill

"