Prohibition starts Sunday

After this series, Ken is working on The Dust Bowl (no kidding!). That should be interesting.

Ba'al Chatzaf

To judge from this clip, it looks like another attempt (at least on Olbermann's part) to blame conservatives for a Progressive-era, statist failure. In that case it would be well worth missing.

I thought the first episode was really good. Here’s Ken Burns in mid-season form. It went through the passage of the 18th amendment, so expect Al Capone etc. to star in the next episode (tonight). There were so many parallels to today, just too many to go into quickly. One data point that came out near the end was the fact that the 5th largest sector of the economy and a huge source of tax revenues was outlawed in one fell swoop. None of the talking heads drew a comparison to socialized medicine, but that’s what I thought of.

To judge from this clip, it looks like another attempt (at least on Olbermann's part) to blame conservatives for a Progressive-era, statist failure. In that case it would be well worth missing.

That's just Olbermann's spin. He didn't make the program.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

One data point that came out near the end was the fact that 1/5th of the economy and a huge source of tax revenues was outlawed in one fell swoop.

As I recall, the show said taxes from alcohol were 20% of federal revenues at some time and 75% at another time.

I also heard support for the income tax and prohibition went together, due to tax effect of the latter.

That's just Olbermann's spin. He didn't make the program.

As I recall, the show said Progressives were big supporters of prohibition. (Burns says so in the post #1 video.) Typical Olbermann; he distorts/ignores facts to fit his propaganda.

Edited by Merlin Jetton

As I watched, I hoped that someone would pull out a gun an blow Carry Nations head f*cking off. But, the past cannot be changed.

Ba'al Chatzaf