What is the rational way to prepare for a hurricane?

Selene

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts!" Richard Feynman

NOAA claims the winds are 85 MPH, but none of the Weather Underground stations in the area report higher than 33 MPH winds. By definition, this is not a hurricane – and is just barely a tropical storm.

Real Science Website

NEW YORK (AP) — The nation's largest subway system and arriving flights at the five main New York City-area airports were to be halted at noon Saturday as Hurricane Irene spun its way up the Eastern Seaboard, forcing more than 300,000 evacuations and dimming lights at Citi Field and on Broadway.

By deciding to shut down the transit system, millions of carless New Yorkers from the Bronx's most distant reaches down through Manhattan and out to the beaches of Brooklyn and Queens will be faced with the question of where to go and how to get there.

Among them are 82-year-old Abe Feinstein, who has lived since the early 1960s on the eighth floor of a building that overlooks the famed boardwalk of Coney Island, which is in the evacuation zone and was alive with residents and visitors Friday.

"How can I get out of Coney Island? What am I going to do? Run with this walker?" he said.

Nanny Bloomberg should just mind his own business. So, let me get this straight Mr. Mayor, I should leave my home in the Rockaways, where there are areas of complete lawlessness run by gangs because of a rainstorm? And you are not going to have police protection in the Rockaways? I have a better idea, mobilize the National Guard and protect the citizens which is your first responsibility. While you are at it, protect their property also.

Adam

just say no to thuggery!

I picked up and packed away all the loose stuff in my yard. Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow.

Ba'al Chatzaf

We won't go: Entire Atlantic City seniors home refuse evacuation orders

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — The manager of one Atlantic City senior citizens home says all 80 residents there are defying evacuation orders.Dorothea Arlotta says the residents of the 13-story Best of Life Park have worries about losing power or having some broken windows.

But they would rather wait out Hurricane Irene with their friends and caretakers than to go to an unfamiliar high school or college gym.

It would be traumatic for them to leave, she says — and more traumatic if something bad happens away from home.

She says residents feel a bit protected from wind by other nearby high-rise buildings.

Irene164918--520x350.jpg

AP

Dorothea Arlotta, right, manager of Best of Life Park, and Elaine Condo, left, wait for Hurricane Irene in Atlantic City. All 80 residents of the 13-story seniors home are refusing orders to leave.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/evacuate_won_go_entire_atlantic_OB0xaQ0DKTum7gyn3RS3WK#ixzz1WHCU2zpf

Here is definitely one way NOT to prepare for the hurricane--for reporters. Ignore the goo.

This dude is covered in a green foam that is probably the leftovers of raw sewage.

But he carried on, knee deep in the glop, talking about the taste and smell.

(For some reason, the word "dumbass" keeps echoing in my mind. :) )

Get prepared to get grossed out.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" width="640" height="520" data="http://www.myfoxny.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=11266"><param'>http://www.myfoxny.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=11266"><param value="http://www.myfoxny.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=11266" name="movie"/><param value="&skin=MP1ExternalAll-MFL.swf&embed=true&adSizeArray=300x240&adSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fadx%2Ftsg%2Ewnyw%2Fnews%2Fdetail%3Bdcmt%3Dtext%2Fxml%3Bpos%3D%3Btile%3D2%3Bfname%3Dfox%2Dreporter%2Dgives%2Dupdate%2Dcovered%2Din%2Dsea%2Dfoam%2D20110827%3Bloc%3Dsite%3Bsz%3D320x240%3Bord%3D3863875020455959%3Frand%3D0%2E7364301778075343&flv=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyfoxny%2Ecom%2Ffeeds%2FoutboundFeed%3FobfType%3DVIDEO%5FPLAYER%5FSMIL%5FFEED%26componentId%3D135737006&img=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia2%2Emyfoxny%2Ecom%2F%2Fphoto%2F2011%2F08%2F27%2F20110827stormfoamreporter8pmDPP%5Ftmb0004%5F20110827212838%5F640%5F480%2EJPG&story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyfoxny%2Ecom%2Fdpp%2Fnews%2Ffox%2Dreporter%2Dgives%2Dupdate%2Dcovered%2Din%2Dsea%2Dfoam%2D20110827&category=&title=20110827stormfoamreporter8pm%2Emov&oacct=foximfoximwnyw,foximglobal&ovns=foxinteractivemedia&headline=Reporter%20Gives%20Update%20Covered%20In%20Sea%20Foam" name="FlashVars"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object><p style="width:640px"><a href="http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/fox-reporter-gives-update-covered-in-sea-foam-20110827">Reporter Gives Update Covered In Sea Foam: MyFoxNY.com</a></p>

Michael

LOL

Michael, I bookmarked this late last night, and was going to post it this morning. You have to love the Drudge Report!

Adam

It is a shame that OL folks were not privy to Nanny Bloomberg's press conferences over the last few days because at the end of each one, after speaking for twenty (20) minutes or so, he then actually says:

Now, let me speak to my Spanish listeners! Wherein, he speaks "Spanish," for about four (4) or five (5) minutes in a voice that can only be described as ridiculous, condescending and insulting to Latinos.

A Jewish Gringo gone bad! This is soooo pitiful.

Thank God for YouTube:

Here is one from the snow storm:

Does his staff not have the integrity to tell him to stop this insulting behavior?

Adam

Edited by Selene

My parents' preacher quoted Mayor Bloomberg this morning. Something about having ample time. Just a random tidbit for everyone.

In what context?

Ample time to repent? Ample time to prepare?

??

My parents' preacher quoted Mayor Bloomberg this morning. Something about having ample time. Just a random tidbit for everyone.

In what context?

Ample time to repent? Ample time to prepare?

??

yes, that's it! ample time to prepare... I guess he was saying we have ample time to prepare for judgement. This preacher is unusual to church of christ preachers with this mode of thinking. The typical conservative church of christ preacher is going to say you could die in your sleep or in a car accident on a way home.

Here's the rational way to prepare for a hurricane if you are an insider.

First you get on the inside lane of the Cap and Trade scam where you stand to make gazillions if the law ever passes. But you downplay this so, hopefully, nobody notices.

You know that law will now never pass unless people in general accept man-made global warming. You also know that public skepticism of man-made global warming is widespread and growing, so if you try to plug it, you will get tarnished as a fanatic or kook, like Al Gore is increasingly being seen.

But you really really really really really really really really really really want those gazillions.

Then, along comes a hurricane on the heels of an earthquake to attack major USA cities.

Yay!!!!

Your irises turn into dollar signs. If the hurricane does enough destruction, you can start preaching Gore's line again--and who knows, get back to the Cap and Trade business. It's time for some action.

You decide to help it along a little. You hype the shit out of the impending destruction. Since you are among the rich and powerful, you are--or own--politicians, media outlets, and the whole public relations machinery. Time to get back to the roots and use this machine like it was originally designed: propaganda.

You hype, and shut down services, and hype, and engage "experts," and hype, and set the President up in a special hurricane command center, and hype, and devote entire cable TV and radio channels to the upcoming disaster, and hype.

Imagine what people will accept once the disaster hits? Hell, they'll agree to anything.

(End of suppose time...)

===================

I guess these insiders didn't figure on a fizzle.

They're now saying it was a close one and trying to not look like idiots.

I'll say.

It was a close one, but for the scam to hit...

Michael

• 9 years later...

It’s 90 degrees here just before 1 pm. Tropical Storm Ida could reach 120 mph or more before it makes landfall as a category 3 hurricane in the gulf, then it swings north and east into the continental United States. The storm surge around Louisiana could be 7 to 11 feet and Mandatory evacuations are being called for. At this very moment, the Weather Channel is showing a steady stream of cars and trucks heading north out of the Gulf. I hope the storm misses Delmarva entirely though a bit of rain is needed.   

12 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

"What is the rational way to prepare for a hurricane?"

Stay in place with extra water and food, including jugs and buckets of water to flush the toilets (10 or 12) long lasting battery lights, and a Generac Generator ( We decided against one) but I do have a 5000 watt generator for lights, microwave, etc., which is not much but we don't get as many power outages as before. If I was in Louisiana I would RUN! Or drive north to a motel I had already booked. With extra staples and cash. And our big fat cat, Precious.   

A currently live feed from the National Weather Service New Orleans. 

So far from Hurricane Ida, more people have died in New York City than in Louisiana. Most lived in “basement apartments.”

From CNN. Four days after Hurricane Ida blasted through New Orleans, stunned New York officials fielded tough questions about why at least 13 New Yorkers died when the remnants of the storm hit the Big Apple, more than 1,300 miles from where it first made landfall. The fatalities in New York City -- which exceed the number of deaths reported in all of Louisiana so far -- are a grim reminder that climate change is scrambling all of our assumptions about weather, resiliency and emergency preparedness. Most of the victims in New York drowned in basement apartments that suddenly filled with water. More than 7 inches of rain fell in Central Park over a period of 12 hours, with 3.15 inches of it pouring down in a single hour, setting a new record that was only just broken during Hurricane Henri last month.

• 1 year later...