Amy Winehouse

caroljane

I'm close to your sons age you know. I actually thought Amy Winehouse was in her early 30s. I was surprised to learn she was so young. It makes it that much more tragic. Something else I don't understand is how people can make jokes over her death or ridicule her for having demons.

I'm close to your sons age you know. I actually thought Amy Winehouse was in her early 30s. I was surprised to learn she was so young. It makes it that much more tragic. Something else I don't understand is how people can make jokes over her death or ridicule her for having demons.

Nor can I, really. It seems to diminish their own humanity, and I say that as someone whose own reaction to almost everything is usually jokes. But not to the ending of life, any life, or the evil of demons.

I liked your graceful and funny mea culpa which I found out about on WSS's blog. Like everyone I audited J Neil Schulman God thread 101, but had not followed it recently. Also enjoyed the cameo by Bart. Being able to admit you are in the wrong is rare everywhere - I won't say it's rarer on OL than anywhere else.

You got off pretty easy - I have been knucklewrapped by WSS with reason (for not posting links), but by others when I first joined here I was nearly slain in battle - and I was in the right!

As a hockey and Winehouse fan you qualify for the much-coveted associate membership in the Fraternal Order of theSacred Igloo (we need fresh blood). See you at ArctiCon!

• 4 weeks later...

So there was alcohol but no drugs.Yet if alcohol killed her there would be signs of poisoning or liver failure --maybe a reaction with legal, prescribed drugs? How grotesque, for a young woman, for anyone,

It reminds me of what some friend of Jim Morrison's said, before his cause of death was medically determined. "His soul was tired and his body was old."

So there was alcohol but no drugs.Yet if alcohol killed her there would be signs of poisoning or liver failure --maybe a reaction with legal, prescribed drugs? How grotesque, for a young woman, for anyone,

It reminds me of what some friend of Jim Morrison's said, before his cause of death was medically determined. "His soul was tired and his body was old."

We may never know the cause. The family thought abrupt alcohol withdrawal may have been a factor, but since alcohol was found in her system, that is unlikely. It’s still possible illicit drugs were involved, as some designer drugs can apparently escape detection. Some are blaming her “lifestyle” and the residual effects of drug abuse.

Maybe it was ink poisoning from all her tattoos.

Life is fragile. Handle with care.

• 1 year later...

I thought she was beautiful too. My son's (non-tattooed, non-beehived) ex girlfriend looks astonishingly like her, even has a similar name. What a great though portentous name -- if you're a Winehouse who enters the House of Soul, you're tempting fate for sure.

Speaking of portentous names, how about Lady Gaga? She got the name from the Queen hit, Radio Ga Ga, which was originally titled Radio Ca Ca. (No, I didn’t make that up.)

So, essentially, she named herself after shit. I will leave it to others to ponder how that became portentous.

She’s also tempting fate. She's 25 with (surprise, surprise!) drug and alcohol problems. She’s got two years to mend her ways or risk becoming a member of that exclusive club nobody wants to join

Don't know when her birthday is, but Lady Uck now seems to have made it most of the way to the age of peril.

Her music is not much but she's a great showman in the tradition and seems to be a fairly interesting person. Moreso than Madonna ever was anyway.