Davy

Hi Guys,

I'm a relative newcomer to objectivism, where I live (UK) Ayn Rand isn't well known and I discovered her through David Kelley's excellent logic text "The Art of Reasoning". I've read most of the non-fiction literature, but not Atlas Shrugged - that's next on my list. Many years ago, when considering what to study at University, I read a fair bit of philosophy but came to the conclusion that much of it was absurd and merely 'words about words'. Ayn Rand changed that; reading her work had a profound effect on me and I find it difficult to comprehend why it's largely ignored or attacked (although thankfully, it appears that things are beginning to change).

Anyway, looking forward to participating here and learning more about Objectivism.

By the way, I'm aware of the schisms in the movement, in particular the Kelly/Peikoff split, but haven't yet read enough to have decided which camp I'm in. Am I right in assuming that this forum sides more with Kelley than Peikoff? Like I said, I don't yet have a firm opinion one way or the other, I hope it won't be an issue.

Edited by Davy

Hi! Welcome to OL.

I'm also a newbie; to the site and to Ayn.

"I read a fair bit of philosophy but came to the conclusion that much of it was absurd and merely 'words about words'."

As I was saying in my original post to this thread (which obviously didn't stick), Ayn brings sanity to philosophy. By the time the average philosopher decides whether furry animals have rights, whether his mind is a brain in a vat, and whether or not he exists, millions of vegetarian animals will have been devoured by carnivores, people in comas will be experiencing life through virtual reality and the philosopher himself will cease to exist.

Edited by Jared Warren

I like your picture of Isaac Newton. He was the smartest man who ever lived.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Hi, and welcome!

David's work is very, very striking.

We don't do opposing camps here. There are simply excellent folks from all walks of life. If one of us doesn't have it, usually someone else will.

I think we've talked about the lack of impact that Rand's work had in the U.K. It's kind of an interesting topic and if you look around here you might find some good discussions about it.

Looking forward to your posts! Mike K. is a really great site host and I can't imagine you would have anything but enjoyment here. Oh, we get into some bitter sparring matches, but don't all families?

Best

rde

Hi Davy! Welcome to OL.

As I was saying in my original post to this thread (which obviously didn't stick), Ayn brings sanity to philosophy. By the time the average philosopher decides whether furry animals have rights, whether his mind is a brain in a vat, and whether or not he exists, millions of vegetarian animals will have been devoured by carnivores, people in comas will be experiencing life through virtual reality and the philosopher himself will cease to exist.

Well, "furry animals" have been given rights in several highly developed countries. And the fact that animals have been given rights (to e. g. a treatment by humans not causing undue suffering) is an indicator that the ethical development of mankind is expanding.

Edited by Xray

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think we've talked about the lack of impact that Rand's work had in the U.K. It's kind of an interesting topic and if you look around here you might find some good discussions about it.

I've only been able to find one UK site on Objectivism - here. There are some interesting blogs and useful links, but it isn't updated very often. It's worth signing up because they let you know about related events; there was a lecture at the Adam Smith Institute in London given by Tara Smith back in May, but sadly I wasn't able to make it.

Recently there was a fascinating documentary series on the BBC about the rise and impact of computers on society: "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace". Ayn Rand got quite a bit of coverage, although she wasn't exactly painted in a positive light so I don't suppose it's done much to bolster the Objectivist cause. Very interesting interviews of Nathaniel and Barbara Branden though.

Recently there was a fascinating documentary series on the BBC about the rise and impact of computers on society: "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace". Ayn Rand got quite a bit of coverage, although she wasn't exactly painted in a positive light so I don't suppose it's done much to bolster the Objectivist cause. Very interesting interviews of Nathaniel and Barbara Branden though.

It was discussed here:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10701&view=findpost&p=135925

also here (another forum):

http://forum.objectivismonline.net/index.php?showtopic=21848&view=findpost&p=275894

"Fascinating" isn't the word that comes to mind to describe these programs.

Thanks for the links Doc. Fascinating? well, you admitted that you "loved the polyphony of ideas", and the fragility of the connections not withstanding, I found the series held my attention quite well, and any publicity is good publicity, isn't it?

As I've said, I'm pretty new to Objectivism, but I get the feeling it appeals to geeks and nerds. After all, I'm one. :D