Worst Contemporary Songs Ever Contest.

Rich Engle

How could I have forgotten?

When we think of the 60s in terms of war, riots and drugs we risk downplaying the era's significance as the golden age of saccharine, schlocky bad taste.

But, but, but--this is one of the all-time greats!

--Brant

sob! what's my country coming to?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could I have forgotten?

When we think of the 60s in terms of war, riots and drugs we risk downplaying the era's significance as the golden age of saccharine, schlocky bad taste.

But, but, but--this is one of the all-time greats!

--Brant

sob! what's my country coming to?

Aahh, I'm getting really sentimental now as I walk down memory lane!

True, the San Francisco song is quite kitschy, but still, there was such a magic to it back then.

Although I was a mere twelve years old when listening to the song for the first time in 1967, I sensed a new era was about to begin. The vibrations of a 'Love and Peace' movement were already being felt here in Europe too; the Beatles chimed in with "All You Need is Love". Thing were brewing everywhere, with old structures beginning to crumble. It was all so exciting!

Oh, how I yearned to be there too, in San Francisco with flowers in my hair!!

Instead I was in a Catholic school where the nuns (quite unsuccessfully) tried to shield us from the world 'out there'.

Edited by Xray

Aahh, I'm getting really sentimental now as I walk down memory lane!

True, the San Francisco song is quite kitschy, but still, there was such a magic to it back then.

Although I was a mere twelve years old when listening to the song for the first time in 1967, I sensed a new era was about to begin. The vibrations of a 'Love and Peace' movement were already being felt here in Europe too; the Beatles chimed in with "All You Need is Love". Thing were brewing everywhere, with old structures beginning to crumble. It was all so exciting!

Oh, how I yearned to be there too, in San Francisco with flowers in my hair!!

Instead I was in a Catholic school where the nuns (quite unsuccessfully) tried to shield us from the world 'out there'.

I was always a sort of middle-aged kid and teenager, wanting to as intellectually sophisticated as the oldies over 30, or at least over 25. I didn't much like dope and I was terrified of hallucinogens and never went near them, knowing too well what kind of trips the mind can take even without chemical help. Still, I had a pretty great time in that era.

I was always a sort of middle-aged kid and teenager, wanting to as intellectually sophisticated as the oldies over 30, or at least over 25. I didn't much like dope and I was terrified of hallucinogens and never went near them, knowing too well what kind of trips the mind can take even without chemical help. Still, I had a pretty great time in that era.

What you have written here comes close to my own experience, Carol.

If there existed a 'Golden Raspberry Award' for the most idiotic song text, the 2010 winning song of the European Song Contest would be a hot candidate: :rolleyes:

Edited by Xray

Macarena was a huge summer hit in 1996.

I have nothing against summer hits as such, but just can't stand this song. Uninspiring rhythm, boring melody, and the silly dance that went with it matched the whole thing perfectly.

I loathed this. The destruction it caused was formidable. One thing that happens if you are a working musician is that you know you are about to get stuck doing the turd. It causes anxiety.

Now, as to the suggestion of the Pat Boone/Crazy Train thing, I think that is a breach because it is Pat Boone that ruined it. As far as rockers go, Crazy Train is as good as any of them. BUT, here's one that might be suspect. I started thinking of it after I got done watching a documentary on Aleister Crowley. On the other hand, you can think of it as a novelty song. Jury out.

If there existed a 'Golden Raspberry Award' for the most idiotic song text, the 2010 winning song of the European Song Contest would be a hot candidate: :rolleyes:

Nasty, foul.

Really! My best friend in high school and after "went to the convent"-i.e., attended the local Catholic school which was actually held in the convent. It went up to Grade 9. One hot summer day we were in the post office and the head nun, the dread Sister Majella, came in. She marched up to us and told my friend to go home and "change out of those indecent shorts". She gave me the fish eye but did not address me; she probably wanted to remark on the unwisdom of anyone, even an Anglican, with legs which could most charitably be described as short and sturdy, choosing to wear such short shorts.

Anyway, my friend meekly went home. I was amazed - Carol was the spunkiest girl I knew. (There were a lot of Carols in town- in our own group she and I were known as Carol 1 and Carol 2. I often remember that when I'm calling on Mohammed or Maria 1, 2 or 3 in class, and smile).

Edited by daunce lynam

I loathed this. The destruction it caused was formidable. One thing that happens if you are a working musician is that you know you are about to get stuck doing the turd. It causes anxiety.

I have a feeling you enjoyed the Wedding Singer movie, Rich.

Really! My best friend in high school and after "went to the convent"-i.e., attended the local Catholic school which was actually held in the convent. It went up to Grade 9. One hot summer day we were in the post office and the head nun, the dread Sister Majella, came in. She marched up to us and told my friend to go home and "change out of those indecent shorts". She gave me the fish eye but did not address me; she probably wanted to remark on the unwisdom of anyone, even an Anglican, with legs which could most charitably be described as short and sturdy, choosing to wear such short shorts.

Anyway, my friend meekly went home. I was amazed - Carol was the spunkiest girl I knew. (There were a lot of Carols in town- in our own group she and I were known as Carol 1 and Carol 2. I often remember that when I'm calling on Mohammed or Maria 1, 2 or 3 in class, and smile).

Well since I like a lot of the songs on this "worst songs" thread, I will leave this one up to the judges...

Real nice white T-bird and, of course, a Robert McNamara Oldsmobile sucking a lemon vehicle, the Edsel, yep, same scumbag who brought you the Vietnam War!

Wiki the Edsel

Adam

Well since I like a lot of the songs on this "worst songs" thread, I will leave this one up to the judges...

Real nice white T-bird and, of course, a Robert McNamara Oldsmobile sucking a lemon vehicle, the Edsel, yep, same scumbag who brought you the Vietnam War!

Wiki the Edsel

Adam

Adam,

Humm - thanks, I think.

I thought I'd managed to successfully eradicate this one forever.

(Silver lining - first car, lovely clean-cut girls, and innocent times.)

And long legs, and not so long legs, in short-shorts.

Dayamm.

Tony

The black and white picture at the beginning - is that from the movie American Graffiti?

The black and white picture at the beginning - is that from the movie American Graffiti?

Either from the movie or it's a production still.

--Brant

Either from the movie or it's a production still.

--Brant

I love everything about that movie!! Excellent cast and acting, and it so brilliantly captures the atmosphere of those bygone days.

1. Volare. This song is annoying, horrible crap, especially if you have ever had to do a club gig with, say, a Frank Sinatra wannabe. It is a pure death blow.

The German equivalent of American Idol is "Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar".

In that show in 2003, a 17-year-old greenhorn actually thought he was able to do a confincing performance of Frank Sinatra's My Way. Terrible! :angry:

Edited by Xray

X and Jonathan, thank you. I don't know about its musical qualities if any, but the words "my humps, my lovely lady lumps" are an affront to women and camels alike.

Hmmm women and camels...

I wonder how Angela's PETA persona will be reconcilable with the carbon credit climate change hoax, err scam, err ...oh yes, now I remember, the only way to save the earth from the evils of industrial capitalism program being considered in Australia?

'Kill a camel' to cut pollution concept in Australia

is considering awarding
carbon credits
for killing feral camels as a way to tackle
climate change.
The suggestion is included in
Canberra's
"Carbon Farming Initiative", a consultation paper by the
Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency,
seen Thursday.

Adelaide-based
Northwest
Carbon, a commercial company, proposed culling some 1.2 million wild camels that roam the Outback, the legacy of herds introduced to help early settlers in the 19th century.

Considered a pest due to the damage they do to vegetation, a camel produces, on average, a methane equivalent to one tonne of
carbon dioxide
a year, making them collectively one of
Australia's
major emitters of
greenhouse gases.

What a joke these people are!

Adam

Fuel, fire:

Worst Country Song Titles

* If You Don't Believe I Love You Just Ask My Wife

* Timber, I'm Falling in Love

* You're the First Time I Thought About Leaving

* Love Will Beat Your Brains Out

* You Can Tell the Man Who Boozes (By the Company He Chooses)

* I Think I'll Drink Myself Into the Past

* I Got Tears in My Ears From Lying on My Back Crying on My Pillow Over You

* Sleeping Single in a Double Bed

* The Pint of No Return

* Your Negligee Has Turned to Flannel Nightgowns

* Guess My Eyes Were Bigger Than My Heart

* It Ain't Love but It Ain't Bad

* Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone

* I'd Rather have a Bottle in Front of Me Than a Frontal Lobotomy

* Don't Let That Doorknob Hit You (on the Way Out)

* You're Out Doing What I'm Here Doing Without

* This Time I'm Gonna Beat You to the Truck

* You Blacked My Blue Eyes Once Too Often

* Walk Out Backwards Slowly So I'll Think You're Walking In

* I Forgot How Bad My Good Woman Could Be

* You Done Stomped on My Heart (and Smashed That Sucker Flat)

* Let Me Love the Leavin' from Your Mind

* Somebody Shoot Out the Jukebox

* My Legs Won't Walk Away From You

* What's a Fool Like Me Doing In a Love Like This

* I've Been Roped and Throwed by Jesus in the Holy Ghost Corral

* If You Can Live With It (I Can Live Without It)

* She Got the Gold Mine (I Got the Shaft)

* Hell Stays Open All Night

* I'd Be Better Off in a Pine Box

* I've Got You on My Conscience But At Least You're Off My Back

* Bridge Washed Out, I Can't Swim and My Baby's on the Other Side

* The Worst You Ever Gave Me Was the Best I Ever Had

* If the Phone Doesn't Ring It's Me

* I've Got a Funny Feeling (I Won't Be Feeling Funny Very Long)

* Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger (When You Go Out at Night)

* How Can a Whiskey Six Years Old Whip a Man That's 32?

* I Knew I'd Lean (But I Never Thought I'd Fall)

* She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye

* We Used to Just Kiss on the Lips But Now It's All Over

* You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly

* If You Keep Checking Up on Me (I'm Checking Out on You)

* It Don't Hurt Half as Bad as Holding You Feels Good

* I Don't Know Whether to Kill Myself or Go Bowling

* I'm Gettin' Gray From Being Blue

* I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You

* Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)

* Heaven's Just A Sin Away

* She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart

* If Fingerprints Showed Up On Skin, Wonder Whose I'd Find On You

* I've Been Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart

* She Feels Like A New Man Tonight

* Velcro Arms, Teflon Heart

* The Last Word In Lonesome Is "me"

* When We Get Back To the Farm (That's When We Really Go To Town)

* You Stuck My Heart In a Old Tin Can and Shot It Off a Log

* He's Been Drunk Since His Wife's Gone Punk

* I Bought the Boots That Just Walked Out On Me

* Ever Since I Said "I Do," There's a Lot of Things You Don't

* The Next Time You Throw That Fryin' Pan, My Face Ain't Gonna Be There

• 2 weeks later...

Last autumn, no one in Europe who turned the radio on could "escape" being confronted with this nerve-racking hit topping the European charts: "Barbra Streisand".

Edited by Xray