The Movie Should Be Seen a Second Time

PDS

I went to the Atlas Shrugged movie a second time, yesterday afternoon, with my 10 year-old daughter. I highly recommend that others do the same. The second viewing allows for a closer look "inside" the film, as opposed a natural tendency to view the film from the outside, in comparison to the book. I now understand why many people I respect considered the film so well done.

Knowing where the film is going and where it stops allowed me to relax and enjoy the ride. Unlike the first time I went, knowing the role of the "John Galt raincoat-factor" actually made those parts of the movie touching, extremely touching, especially in relation to the soundtrack. During the first viewing, I felt the nervousness I experience when my 10 year old is doing her piano recitals, i.e., the main mental energy is directed to thoughts such as, "I just hope she makes it through without tripping over the bar." No such issues with the movie this time--I knew the producers had at least cleared the bar, and now I see that they did it with space to spare. I still have two small quibbles with the movie, but frankly, who cares? This is an achievement to be celebrated. Period.

If it is convenient, and affordable, you owe to yourself to go a second time.

[My daughter's reaction: she loved the movie, even though I put my hands over her eyes in two places (I could feel her eye lashes trying to peek, however...). Her first question as we were walking out: when is Part 2 coming out? Driving home from the matinee, I explained to her the why John Galt was pulling people out of society, why and when Ayn Rand left Russia, and why Rand felt it so important to show why the producers in society matter. She listened quietly, absorbing what I said. An hour later, she advised me, with a copy of the book in her hand, of the following: the producers had clearly not read the book, because, "Eddie Willers is definitely not African-American." How cool is that? We'll save a discussion of segregation circa 1957 for another day...]

Edited by PDS

I went to the Atlas Shrugged movie a second time, yesterday afternoon, with my 10 year-old daughter. I highly recommend that others do the same. The second viewing allows for a closer look "inside" the film, as opposed a natural tendency to view the film from the outside, in comparison to the book. I now understand why many people I respect considered the film so well done.

Knowing where the film is going and where it stops allowed me to relax and enjoy the ride. Unlike the first time I went, knowing the role of the "John Galt raincoat-factor" actually made those parts of the movie touching, extremely touching, especially in relation to the soundtrack. During the first viewing, I felt the nervousness I experience when my 10 year old is doing her piano recitals, i.e., the main mental energy is directed to thoughts such as, "I just hope she makes it through without tripping over the bar." No such issues with the movie this time--I knew the producers had at least cleared the bar, and now I see that they did it with space to spare. I still have two small quibbles with the movie, but frankly, who cares? This is an achievement to be celebrated. Period.

[My daughter's reaction: she loved the movie, even though I put my hands over her eyes in two places (I could feel her eye lashes trying to peek, however...). Her first question as we were walking out: when is Part 2 coming out? Driving home from the matinee, I explained to her the why John Galt was pulling people out of society, why and when Ayn Rand left Russia, and why Rand felt it so important to show why the producers in society matter. She listened quietly, absorbing what I said. An hour later, she advised me, with a copy of the book in her hand, of the following: the producers had clearly not read the book, because, "Eddie Willers is definitely not African-American." How cool is that? We'll save a discussion of segregation circa 1957 for another day...]

PDS:

Completely agree. I made that same decision as I walked towards Union Square [NY City Manhattan Chelsea District] last Friday after seeing the movie.

I also have a daughter and that was a perfectly amusing comment about the eyelashes. It brought back a beautiful memory for me. Thanks. She is now in her 3rd year at a mini Ivy in the mid west and on her way to a cum laude graduation, so things worked out very well!

"...I could feel her eye lashes trying to peek, however..." beautiful description.

I am seeing it again this weekend locally and then I hope to write a review. Thanks for that image.

Adam

PDS:

Completely agree. I made that same decision as I walked towards Union Square [NY City Manhattan Chelsea District] last Friday after seeing the movie.

I also have a daughter and that was a perfectly amusing comment about the eyelashes. It brought back a beautiful memory for me. Thanks. She is now in her 3rd year at a mini Ivy in the mid west and on her way to a cum laude graduation, so things worked out very well!

"...I could feel her eye lashes trying to peek, however..." beautiful description.

I am seeing it again this weekend locally and then I hope to write a review. Thanks for that image.

Adam

Adam: thanks. She really liked the Ellis Wyatt actor and was pretty bummed to hear his message at the end. I questioned whether taking a 10 year old to a PG-13 movie was the right call, but having seen the movie already, I figured the PG-13 stuff, even as relatively mild as it is, could be censored by her Old Man. My daughter is reasonably intelligent, and she followed the movie just fine, with a few whispers in the ear from me here and there. Let's hope the average American adult movie-goer has at least her intelligence and attention span.

Edited by PDS

I questioned whether taking a 10 year old to a PG-13 movie was the right call, but having seen the movie already, I figured the PG-13 stuff, even as relatively mild as it is, could be censored by her Old Man. My daughter is reasonably intelligent, and she followed the movie just fine, with a few whispers in the ear from me here and there. Let's hope the average American adult movie-goer has at least her intelligence and attention span.

My kids are grown, of course, but I always let them read or watch anything they wanted to - no exceptions. If I thought something was "age-inappropriate" for them, I offered them my advice on the matter. They didn't always take it. This is how young people learn. I am unable to detect that my advanced ideas did them any harm.

JR

I questioned whether taking a 10 year old to a PG-13 movie was the right call, but having seen the movie already, I figured the PG-13 stuff, even as relatively mild as it is, could be censored by her Old Man. My daughter is reasonably intelligent, and she followed the movie just fine, with a few whispers in the ear from me here and there. Let's hope the average American adult movie-goer has at least her intelligence and attention span.

My kids are grown, of course, but I always let them read or watch anything they wanted to - no exceptions. If I thought something was "age-inappropriate" for them, I offered them my advice on the matter. They didn't always take it. This is how young people learn. I am unable to detect that my advanced ideas did them any harm.

But they turned out just like you, Jeff, they turned out just like you.

--Brant

didn't they?

But they turned out just like you, Jeff, they turned out just like you.

--Brant

didn't they?

Not really, no.

JR

JR

When my nephew was 11, I took him to see American Pie. I'm glad he saw it with me. Of course, it's one of the most sex-charged movies you could ever watch. And it still has a moral message at the end. My nephew already knew everything anyway.

Edited by Chris Baker

Adam: thanks. She really liked the Ellis Wyatt actor and was pretty bummed to hear his message at the end. I questioned whether taking a 10 year old to a PG-13 movie was the right call, but having seen the movie already, I figured the PG-13 stuff, even as relatively mild as it is, could be censored by her Old Man. My daughter is reasonably intelligent, and she followed the movie just fine, with a few whispers in the ear from me here and there. Let's hope the average American adult movie-goer has at least her intelligence and attention span.

I am happy that she was able to get it. The only concern I would have had was all the booze and a scene involving a married man with another woman. I guess I would have said: "Well, sometimes people marry the wrong people."

We decided to take my son along at the last minute because he really wanted to go having seen the trailer. He's a teenager but his autism makes him seem a bit younger. He loved the movie and was at the edge of his seat for a good portion of the movie. The love scene is pretty tame compared to the book so I didn't even bother covering little eyes. He did want to see the little gold atlas from the ads and was disappointed that character was not featured in the movie. :mellow:

Kat

What did you guys think of the Train Ride and of the Colorado scenery? Ever since I lived out there, Aspen has a special place in my heart.

Ba'al Chatzaf

What did you guys think of the Train Ride and of the Colorado scenery? Ever since I lived out there, Aspen has a special place in my heart.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Baal:

I liked the train ride more than the Colorado scenery--that scenery had a little too much "Hallmark Card" feel for my tastes. I wish they had gone "off soundtrack" for the train ride, and played this music in the background [Roxy Music' "True to Life"]

My wife wanted to see it again as soon as we saw it the first time on the first weekend. Yesterday we did see it for the second time and there was only one other person in the theater way in the back. I amused myself by posting elsewhere that the entire audience applauded at the end which was true as all three of us did applaud. Next time I will overcome my inhibitions and give it a rousing standing ovation. There is a senior night where the tickets are only $4.50 for all shows.

We did enjoy it all the more the second time although we did pay attention the first time too.. It is difficult to understand why.

Another movie we have watched many times is Michael Clayton with Clooney and Wilkenson who are wonderful to watch. It was fun trying to figure out who knew what when.

I didn't mind that the actor who played D'Anconia didn't have an accent.

I thought that Eddie Willers had quite a few lines to say in the movie and the actor played it well.

The Owen Kellog meeting is among my favorites and this time the actor was okay despite not really appearing to be the right type for a superintendent of a railroad division. Still the scene was appealing and I'm glad it was included.

I didn't mind the Akston actor but wish more was said. He ended by saying that "he will find you!"

The encounters with Galt seemed hokie and unconvincing but I did enjoy the voice over of the conversation between Galt and Ellis Wyatt while Dagny emotes at the end.

Now it will be fun to read the book again to see what was left out and what was included.

I went to the earlybird matinee and saw Atlas for a second time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it seemed to flow better the second time. I kinda got used to little Jimmy Taggart but Owen Kellogg is still a major dweeb and that scene seemed totally forced, even Dagny's acting in that scene was off. I still think Joe the Plumber or a more blue collar type would be better for that part. That character has competence and confidence and that dweeb character made me want to cry. Anyone, even Hank's secretary would have made a better Owen Kellogg. Dweebman just didn't have the stuff.

There weren't as many people at the earlybird show, just a couple dozen or so who applauded at the end. If it is still playing here next weekend, maybe I'll go again. I've still got a couple tokens to play Simpsons pinball and they are burning a hole in me pocket.

There are some movies you can't see too many times. I've seen A Hard Days Night so many times, and when my daughter was younger, she thought I was Janet in the shadow cast of Rocky Horror. To her I was the coolest mom in the world... for like ten seconds.

Go see Atlas again on the big screen.

Kat

The movie gets better every time I see it!

The first time I did not catch Francisco calling Dagny "Slug" and she calling him "Frisco" in the scene where Dagny "begs" for money for the John Galt Line. I appreciate the acting more every time I see the scene where Francisco gives Hank the words he will need for the time when he'll need them.

For anyone who enjoyed the movie and enjoyed a walk through the architecture of The Getty Center, it might be interesting to know that Dagny probably recently read "The Fountainhead," because she fell asleep while reading "Meier" by Philip Jodidio. It was on the coffee table in her opening scene. Click Here to see the book cover.

The movie gets better every time I see it!

The first time I did not catch Francisco calling Dagny "Slug" and she calling him "Frisco" in the scene where Dagny "begs" for money for the John Galt Line. I appreciate the acting more every time I see the scene where Francisco gives Hank the words he will need for the time when he'll need them.

For anyone who enjoyed the movie and enjoyed a walk through the architecture of The Getty Center, it might be interesting to know that Dagny probably recently read "The Fountainhead," because she fell asleep while reading "Meier" by Philip Jodidio. It was on the coffee table in her opening scene. Click Here to see the book cover.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Francisco calling Dagny "Slug."

In Massachusetts Atlas was shown for a couple of weeks at several theaters in six cities or towns with no advertising and then they all stopped showing it. But it just started to be shown in two new places one of which is not too far from where I work. I plan to go to see it for the third time after work next week at a theater on the outskirts of New Bedford. Having seen it twice already I know that it moves along at a good clip with several scenes which evoke emotion in me. I am eager to see if seeing it one or two more times will be as moving.

I believe that Aglialoro has committed to making parts two and three already. For decades I have recommended the book on a daily basis and still do. I have lost count of how many times I have read the book myself.

I was certainly moved by the musical version of Les Miserables but I think that Atlas Shrugged would lend itself better in the form of an opera, preferably in Italian!

Enjoy!

On another board, someone made the excellent observation regarding the actor playing Hugh Akston. He is the same actor who played Danny Noonan in Caddyshack.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001574/

Of course, the actor who played Doctor Potter is Armin Shimerman. He was also Principal Snyder on Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001734/