Sidney Lumet Director Died at 86

Lumet Passes to that big screening room in the sky

"While the goal of all movies is to entertain," Mr. Lumet

once wrote, "the kind of film in which I believe goes one

step further. It compels the spectator to examine one facet

or another of his own conscience. It stimulates thought and

sets the mental juices flowing."

Amen brother!

I just went to his Wikipedia page, for some reason I thought he'd directed the Pacino movie with the "this whole court's out of order!" scene, but I wanted to check (I had it confused with Dog Day Afternoon). Anyway, the death wasn't reflected on his page, so I logged in, figuring I'd do the update myself, and in that much time the page was updated, reporting the death.

I just went to his Wikipedia page, for some reason I thought he'd directed the Pacino movie with the "this whole court's out of order!" scene, but I wanted to check (I had it confused with Dog Day Afternoon). Anyway, the death wasn't reflected on his page, so I logged in, figuring I'd do the update myself, and in that much time the page was updated, reporting the death.

Amazing director. 12 Angry Men had a tremendous impact on me. I actually used the underlying concept in the real world as the final class in a difficult semester when I was teaching.

Wow!

How did you get a clip of the new Glenn Beck show!

Wow!

How did you get a clip of the new Glenn Beck show!

LOLOL.You're really gunning for a Best award this week!

Didn't Lumet direct Norma Rae? I loved that movie. Well, I would, wouldn't I.

1950s 12 Angry Men (1957) • Stage Struck (1958) • That Kind of Woman (1959) • The Fugitive Kind (1959)

1960s A View from the Bridge (1961) • Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) • The Pawnbroker (1964) • Fail-Safe (1964) • The Hill (1965) • The Group (1966) • The Deadly Affair (1967) • Bye Bye Braverman (1968) • The Sea Gull (1968) • The Appointment (1969)

1970s King: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis (1970) • Last of the Mobile Hot Shots (1970) • The Anderson Tapes (1971) • Child's Play (1972) • The Offence (1972) • Serpico (1973) • Lovin' Molly (1974) • Murder on the Orient Express (1974) • Dog Day Afternoon (1975) • Network (1976) • Equus (1977) • The Wiz (1978)

1980s Just Tell Me What You Want (1980) • Prince of the City (1981) • Deathtrap (1982) • The Verdict (1982) • Daniel (1983) • Garbo Talks (1984) • Power (1986) • The Morning After (1986) • Running on Empty (1988) • Family Business (1989)

1990s Q & A (1990) • A Stranger Among Us (1992) • Guilty as Sin (1993) • Night Falls on Manhattan (1997) • Critical Care (1997) • Gloria (1999)

2000s Strip Search (2004) • Find Me Guilty (2006) • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of links, did you code them one by one or is there a shortcut?

Pure luck...I just copied and pasted from the bottom of a site and all the links transferred with it - believe me, I was not sure until I made the post that it would work...lol.

I wanted Carol to see that he did not do Norma Ray

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of links, did you code them one by one or is there a shortcut?

Pure luck...I just copied and pasted from the bottom of a site and all the links transferred with it - believe me, I was not sure until I made the post that it would work...lol.

I wanted Carol to see that he did not do Norma Ray

He could have though, seeing the other great movies he did. I'll never forget the Pawnbroker.

Yep, The Pawnbroker when Stieger does the Jesus spike shook me up when I saw it the first time.

Also, Fail Safe and The Verdict were excellent films to me.

Yep, The Pawnbroker when Stieger does the Jesus spike shook me up when I saw it the first time.

For me it wasn't the spike somehow, it was the whole movie,. I didn't see it when it first came out, I wasn't allowed to go to movies on school nights , and the serious or adult movies were all shown during the week in our town. On the weekends we had Cliff Richard and Hayley Mills and Jason and the Argonauts and so on, which I adored. Cliff especially.

I saw the Pawnbroker later at university, and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, it just made me see what I knew in a new different way. Hard to explain.

For me it wasn't the spike somehow, it was the whole movie,. I didn't see it when it first came out, I wasn't allowed to go to movies on school nights , and the serious or adult movies were all shown during the week in our town. On the weekends we had Cliff Richard and Hayley Mills and Jason and the Argonauts and so on, which I adored. Cliff especially.

I saw the Pawnbroker later at university, and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, it just made me see what I knew in a new different way. Hard to explain.

Interesting. What did the "new way" reveal?