Influential Movies

The good prospects for the Atlas Shrugged movie are raising the hopes of many that its release will cause noticeable changes in American culture, by causing many more to read the book, think about Ayn Rand's ideas, and move politically to implement them.

I am trying to think of a movie, whether based on a book or not, which has had a similar effect. I am not knowledgeable in cinema and its influence except on fads or trends in the general culture which are usually shortlived.

I am thinking of America but maybe this has happened in other countries. Have movies led the culture instead of following it?

Thoughts please.

The movie industry was supposedly instrumental in getting the US into WW2 - Mrs. Miniver among others. As this readership will know, some in the industry tried but failed during the 40s to make Americans sympathetic to communism.

China Syndrome, which agitated against nuclear energy, was another success.

Can't think of any others. The anti-Iraq-war movies of the Bush years were a notable flop in this respect.

In Germany the Leni Reifenstahl movies were very influential in getting the population to line up behind the Fuehrer.

Ba'al Chatzaf

In Germany the Leni Reifenstahl movies were very influential in getting the population to line up behind the Fuehrer.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Leni Riefenstahl (sp) weren't fictional movies, they were documentaries (chock full of propaganda) and yes they probably had an effect. The China Syndrome was released just as 3 Mile Island had its problems so which was more influential...the movie or the event? The Nazi propaganda movies wouldn't have been as influential (or influential at all) if the Nazi's weren't already in power.

In my mind movies are most influential on an individual. They can provide us with models of behavior and standards, and it would be hard to measure that influence but it is still there.

I thought of All Quiet on the Western Front and Paths of Glory [Kubrick's first] as being the foundation of anti-war sentiment in the US post World War I.

I know that Paths of Glory particularly the final scene was overwhelming to me.

Here is the translation of The Faithful Hussar:

"Once there was a faithful hussar

Who loved his maiden for a whole year

A whole year and even more

His love wont ever cease

And when he received the message

That his sweetheart dear was dying

All his goods and chattels he left behind

And hastened to his sweetheart dear.

I still think this was one of, if not, the most powerful anti-war film that I ever saw...and it was based on a true incident in World War i.

Adam

I thought of All Quiet on the Western Front and Paths of Glory [Kubrick's first] as being the foundation of anti-war sentiment in the US post World War I.

I know that Paths of Glory particularly the final scene was overwhelming to me.

Here is the translation of The Faithful Hussar:

"Once there was a faithful hussar

Who loved his maiden for a whole year

A whole year and even more

His love wont ever cease

And when he received the message

That his sweetheart dear was dying

All his goods and chattels he left behind

And hastened to his sweetheart dear.

I still think this was one of, if not, the most powerful anti-war film that I ever saw...and it was based on a true incident in World War i.

Adam

A great movie. Also, King and Country with Tom Courtenay was unforgettable.

In my mind movies are most influential on an individual. They can provide us with models of behavior and standards, and it would be hard to measure that influence but it is still there.

I agree. Mae West and Carmen Miranda have inspired generations of drag queens.

Daunce wrote:

I am trying to think of a movie, whether based on a book or not, which has had a similar effect.

End quote

Other film makers have greatly influenced “the next generation.” I am thinking about children and teen movies that have changed their perspectives of the world.

I remember one of my daughters fixated on Disney between the ages of 2 to 4, especially the animated “Robin Hood,” which was OK in my book but not a “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” She still knows the movie like the back of her hand.

The greatest affect of the movie, “Atlas Shrugged,” will be on children from perhaps 12 until 20.

“They can provide us with models of behavior and standards,”

Well said. There is always a conservative desire to urge children to see or read the classics but those rarely fire the minds of the next generation though, “Avatar,” might.

Peter

• 1 year later...

Well said. There is always a conservative desire to urge children to see or read the classics but those rarely fire the minds of the next generation though, "Avatar," might.

Peter

"Avatar" the movie? Pinko stinko eco-phreak dreck. White Man bad. Indian Good sh*t.; And it even includes worshipping trees and vines!

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 weeks later...

Ba'al Chatzaf wrote:

"Avatar" the movie? Pinko stinko eco-phreak dreck. White Man bad. Indian Good sh*t.;

end quote

I must confess, I was saying, “WOW!” from about the eighth row back when I saw it in stadium seating along with a vacation - beach crowd, begging to be thrilled. I was not commenting on the “worth” of the movie, only it’s youthful “following” garnered through advertising and word of mouth. Without the 3D affects, the cinematography is not enthralling and the message is less easy to ignore. I agree that it is “pinko stinko eco-phreako dreck . . . o?” Yet still influential.

I am sure Mitt and Bibi will be conferencing on “Avatar’s,” cultural impact on our mutual, American – Israeli, defense pact over a few beers . . . Stella Atois, in fact, not one of those German lagers.

Congratulations, Baal. You have won a free beer at the Peter Piper Pub.