Atlanta Objectivist Society conference (ATLOSCon 2011)

Aaron

The Atlanta Objectivist Society is thrilled to announce that it’s time to register for our second annual conference, ATLOSCon! The conference will be held on Memorial Day weekend, May 26-30, 2011. We have many different classes to choose from, ranging from Objectivist epistemology to swing dancing, including business, philosophy, art, exercise, sex, parenting, and science. We also have a large variety of social events planned, including hiking, eating, partying, and working out together. Many of the classes have limits on the number of attendees, so if you are coming (and we hope you are!), we recommend that you sign up as soon as possible.

We can house a limited number of out-of-towners, so if the cost of lodging would keep you from coming, please email Kelly Elmore for more information. If you are under the age of 25, we have a 20% discount available. Email Kelly Elmore for more details about how to get the young ‘uns discount (before you register).

For more information, see the conference schedule, class descriptions, and speakers at http://www.atlantaobjectivists.com/atloscon-schedule/. The registration page can be found at http://www.rsvpbook.com/event.php?403563.

I hope to see you there!

Aaron

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Atlanta Objectivist Society is thrilled to announce that it’s time to register for our second annual conference, ATLOSCon! The conference will be held on Memorial Day weekend, May 26-30, 2011. We have many different classes to choose from, ranging from Objectivist epistemology to swing dancing, including business, philosophy, art, exercise, sex, parenting, and science. We also have a large variety of social events planned, including hiking, eating, partying, and working out together. Many of the classes have limits on the number of attendees, so if you are coming (and we hope you are!), we recommend that you sign up as soon as possible.

We can house a limited number of out-of-towners, so if the cost of lodging would keep you from coming, please email Kelly Elmore for more information. If you are under the age of 25, we have a 20% discount available. Email Kelly Elmore for more details about how to get the young ‘uns discount (before you register).

For more information, see the conference schedule, class descriptions, and speakers at http://www.atlantaobjectivists.com/atloscon-schedule/. The registration page can be found at http://www.rsvpbook.com/event.php?403563.

I hope to see you there!

Aaron

I see that your group has made a statement by its choice for its keynote speaker. :huh:

Ms. Hsieh is speaking on the topic of "pride." :rolleyes:

Really. :blush:

I do not know Diana Hsieh well, having just met her recently at SnowCon, though I like what I've seen and like her work on projects like OLists. I understand that - like many Objectivists - she has been involved in various scuffles and has her opponents. I have no interest or time for arguing about anyone's personal values or faults, but do hope that if any potential attendees are not a fan of a particular speaker, they do not let it turn them off from the whole conference and all the other great sessions and events. (Sometimes I fear every Objectivist gathering will be empty otherwise)

They're going to exercise, work out and hike together.

Wonder what the marching song is.

Treating this sincerely, yes, many of us (locals and out-of-towners) are into working out and hiking, in addition to pursuing other values. Concerning music, there's not a formal session (other than 'Math of Music), though at the evening party there's likely to be some Objectivist-themed filking. It's a fun, eclectic group.

Aaron

Aaron,

Let's keep it real.

I don't like faking reality and I don't believe you do, either. "Scuffle" leans toward that faking reality category.

Your speaker list includes several people who have gratuitously and repeatedly said some very nasty things about me and about some of the people on this list--starting with the Brandens. Yes, we've given the crap back, too.

This goes way beyond a "scuffle." There is a serious difference of approach underpinning all this. (No need to elaborate here. Just read the different people's works and it becomes evident.)

I fully agree (if this is your purpose) that the nastiness doesn't have to continue. But it also doesn't have to go into Kumbaya-let's-pretend-nothing-is-wrong land either. You don't fix a problem by denying it.

Here's where I stand.

You guys are producing something and you are promoting it here on OL.

Twice.

Nobody bothered to ask Kat or me first if that would be OK, you just put it up. You knew the implications, too (c'mon, you might be many things, but stupid is not one of them). But I have no problem with it. I like producers. I hope some people from OL actually go and find value in your efforts.

I, personally, have some strong differences on the idea front with what I have read from some of your speakers. (Looking at your lineup, I probably would not have any issues with the intro to neuroscience or the Brazilian steakhouse.:) )

I don't expect my ideas or approach--or those of several OL regulars--ever to be welcome among your folks, but from my end, be happy. Do your thing. I wish you well in your efforts--all except for the explicitly stated bad wishes from some of your folks against me and the good people around here.

I don't wish you success at that--in fact that part is doomed to failure. In further fact, it brings me pleasure to know that it is doomed to failure. I even catch myself expending time and effort to make sure it is a failure when I bother to think about it (which is not very often).

But I do wish you success in the productive parts of your venture. Go for it and achieve great things.

Michael

I think we should lighten up and encourage Oist regional conferences and not worry whether they are overly represented by ARI-oriented or TAS-oriented speakers.

Lets not try to factionalize or politicize or choose sides on everything in the Objectivist movement.

Oist regional conferences and organizations are a -big- step forward in giving roots and prominence to Objectivism and Objectivist ideas.

OK, Phil.

That's noted.

You're on record.

Leave it right there and we'll be fine.

And for my own record, I said what I meant and I was extremely precise about what I meant (but I can get even more precise if need be).

btw - Will you be going there? We might be able to get together a kitty if you really wanted to go.

Michael

I think we should lighten up and encourage Oist regional conferences and not worry whether they are overly represented by ARI-oriented or TAS-oriented speakers.

Overly represented?!?! These things are an all or nothing affair. Besides the Philosophic Association meetings, where the “Dougs” may appear alongside a Gotthelf, where is it otherwise? It might be interesting to see, say, a 60-40 split of ARI and TAS speakers at the same conference.

pigfly.gif

FWIW, I hadn’t heard of this conference until now, but I guarantee you, if I were otherwise inclined to attend, Comrade Sonia’s presence, as the key note speaker no less, would assure that I would boycott it.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

I'm thinking about going. Probably about an eight hour drive. Neuroscience sounds good. I also like the way Shea Levy didn't sound like he was going to reveal the secrets of a Theory of Everything. I also hope regional conferences do well. More competition for the big guys is always good.

Jim

That's two conferences that Dr Mrs Dr has organized in the past six months. She sure is energetic. Does the ARI underwrite these shindigs?

Ha,ha, ha! Now that's a good one. No Daunce, I doubt ARI is funding this.

Jim

Overly represented?!?! These things are an all or nothing affair. Besides the Philosophic Association meetings, where the “Dougs” may appear alongside a Gotthelf, where is it otherwise? It might be interesting to see, say, a 60-40 split of ARI and TAS speakers at the same conference.

pigfly.gif

FWIW, I hadn’t heard of this conference until now, but I guarantee you, if I were otherwise inclined to attend, Comrade Sonia’s presence, as the key note speaker no less, would assure that I would boycott it.

ND,

I'm beginning to think the only way to get to 60-40 conferences is to ante up and be part of the initial members of the 40%.

Jim

Edited by James Heaps-Nelson

ND,

I'm beginning to think the only way to get to 60-40 conferences is to ante up and be part of the initial members of the 40%.

Jim

No, there needs to be ARIans willing to take the consequences for appearing on the same ticket with David Kelley etc. And there needs to be a lot of them all at the same time.

ND,

Jim

No, there needs to be ARIans willing to take the consequences for appearing on the same ticket with David Kelley etc. And there needs to be a lot of them all at the same time.

What consequences? At least in the fields I'm interested in, ARI isn't doing anything. I think for the people doing it, there would only be a net gain. In any case, I would think Objectivists would prefer to present to subject matter experts who could improve the final product.

Jim

Edited by James Heaps-Nelson

What consequences? At least in the fields I'm interested in, ARI isn't doing anything. I think for the people doing it, there would only be a net gain. In any case, I would think Objectivists would prefer to present to subject matter experts who could improve the final product.

The Harriman/McCaskey episode is a pretty good illustration of what can happen. In that case, though, it's clear that McCaskey never needed the ARI connection to butter his bread. If I knew of any ARI speakers who did, I wouldn't name them here, so we'll have to leave it at that.

The Harriman/McCaskey episode is a pretty good illustration of what can happen. In that case, though, it's clear that McCaskey never needed the ARI connection to butter his bread. If I knew of any ARI speakers who did, I wouldn't name them here, so we'll have to leave it at that.

Working for a small think tank outfit is never a guarantee of anything. Seeking your fortune that way is walking out on thin ice anyway. So you might as well ask for independence because you sure won't get very much money.

Jim

There are plenty of people who risked their buttered bread in that episode, so I think don't think consequences are the whole story.

Jim

James - I hope you do make it! I'd love to meet you. Shea's session is definitely on my list too.

Phil - Thanks for your comments and vote of confidence. I definitely am encouraged by more 'grassroots' regional organizations and conferences - Atlanta of course, but also more activity in Chicago, Denver, Baltimore, Kansas City, etc. (Think globally, act locally?)

For the record-

Atlanta Objectivist Society (AOS or ATLOS) may be distributing promotional flyers from various Objectivist organizations who send us materials, but is not ARI or TAS sponsored. ATLOSCon is organized by Kelly Elmore, and other ATLOS functions are organized either by her or by Jenn Casey, with many other local ATLOS members volunteering and assisting.

ATLOSCon is not OCON, nor is it intended to be. This is a labor of love by people who are passionate about Objectivism as well as other diverse interests, and want to meet and share these values with others.

btw - Will you be going there? We might be able to get together a kitty if you really wanted to go.

I just noticed that you are considering coming with Phil, so just wanted to say that whatever your concerns with certain speaker(s) you are definitely welcome to come, and I'd like to meet y'all.

Looking at the schedule, the content of the conference doesn't appear to be all that much about Objectivism so much as about those calling themselves Objectivists giving their opinions on their favorite subjects.

Lets not try to factionalize or politicize or choose sides on everything in the Objectivist movement.

Let's try not to be a nutjob schoolmarm on every thread.

Oist regional conferences and organizations are a -big- step forward in giving roots and prominence to Objectivism and Objectivist ideas.

The only thing they're a step toward is establishing a flock to be fleeced by certain people.

J

Atlanta Objectivist Society (AOS or ATLOS) may be distributing promotional flyers from various Objectivist organizations who send us materials, but is not ARI or TAS sponsored. ATLOSCon is organized by Kelly Elmore, and other ATLOS functions are organized either by her or by Jenn Casey, with many other local ATLOS members volunteering and assisting.

ATLOSCon is not OCON, nor is it intended to be. This is a labor of love by people who are passionate about Objectivism as well as other diverse interests, and want to meet and share these values with others.

Anyone can claim to be passionate about Objectivism and about sharing their values, but what I wonder is whether or not truth will be tolerated at the conference if it conflicts with speakers' opinions. If I were to attend the conference and politely question any of its speakers about blatantly false information that they had given in their presentations, as I have questioned some of them in online forums, and the speakers responded with the same type of evasiveness and rage as they have online, and demanded that I leave, would the organizers force me to leave?

J