Request Not to Ban Ted

I just got an email from Ted saying he'd been booted from the site.

Please don't ban Ted:

Yes, he can be insulting or can attack people from time to time, but there are many people on the site who do that far more regularly than he does.

Most of the time his posts are about ideas. And he's enormously well-read, amazingly knowledgeable in many areas, and is one of the people who adds a lot of value to many different threads: Quite brilliant, in fact(even when one disagrees with him, as I often do.)

If you want to build an intellectual community, Ted is exactly the kind of person you want to have around.

Edited by Philip Coates

I just got an email from Ted saying he'd been booted from the site.

Please don't ban Ted:

Yes, he can be insulting or can attack people from time to time, but there are many people on the site who do that far more regularly than he does.

Most of the time his posts are about ideas. And he's enormously well-read, amazingly knowledgeable in many areas, and is one of the people who adds a lot of value to many different threads: Quite brilliant, in fact(even when one disagrees with him, as I often do.)

If you want to build an intellectual community, Ted is exactly the kind of person you want to have around.

I got an email from him too (addressed "Dear Friends", probably the same you got), saying he’d been moderated, not “booted”, and that he would no longer be participating. I replied that I hadn’t seen the “name-calling” post that MSK deleted last night, but that I had seen one he did maybe a year ago, that was also deleted, and that I felt had been beyond the pale. Therefore I was suspending judgment. He replied that he’d called MSK a hypocrite, nothing more. I don’t see any use in trying to get in the middle of all this, besides, a cooling off period is probably all that’s needed. What's strange is that the Geert Wilders thread, where all this happened, hasn't been such a rough and tumble thread, I've seen much worse.

This is now in the Garbage Pile here it belongs.

Michael

Ted has been "restricted," not banned. I'm not sure what it means except a form of moderation. And I do believe it is temporary, which would mean a cooling down period. I didn't see the deleted name-calling post and I assume only Michael did. All Ted has to do is work it out with him with PM or make posts that indicate he's moved on from what has royally pissed Michael off. To go to others and ask for help(?) instead is insulting in itself. To wit, Michael is being unreasonable and will remain unreasonable but is open to--what else? Pressure?

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

To wit, Michael is being unreasonable and will remain unreasonable...

Brant,

That actually is a correct identification.

When reason gets abandoned, I can to that, too.

(My only concern in doing this stuff is for preserving the forum. All this other stuff about social dynamics, power games, injured vanity, and so on, is stuff time will take down the wormhole.)

Michael

To wit, Michael is being unreasonable and will remain unreasonable...

Brant,

That actually is a correct identification.

When reason gets abandoned, I can to that, too.

(My only concern in doing this stuff is for preserving the forum. All this other stuff about social dynamics, power games, injured vanity, and so on, is stuff time will take down the wormhole.)

Michael

Now you know you shouldn't. I don't think you have claimed you did in this case. After all, is your "only concern . . . " unreasonable?

--Brant