An Introduction

CJoy

I'm relatively new to Objectivism, having been actively religious until about two years ago, when I had a total turn-around almost overnight. Well, it felt like overnight! Probably it was more like a few weeks. I read OPAR and VOS, dallied around on the ARI site and an Objectivism forum, and have made new friends. I announced to my family that I'm atheist, left the church I belonged to, and put my children into school after having home schooled them all their lives. I love finally having a fully integrated philosophy that isn't riddled with contradictions. Now I'm looking to expand my Objectivist horizons a little and explore objective thinking from a less orthodox perspective.

Welcome to OL Carrie:

You have made some courageous choices.

I hope your extended family is open enough to support you through your journey.

I believe you will find a solid number of folks here who will support your quest.

Since you are separated, I would be cautious as to how specific you are on any public fora.

Again, kick off your shoes and relax, OL is a very nice place to learn and laugh.

Adam

Hi Carrie,

OL is great. A lot of the philosophical conversations here are mind-blowing. And there's plenty of room for other good stuff like sports and hobbies.

"Less orthodox" is good. I started off with an 'orthodox' outlook on Objectivism, and I didn't make any progress in understanding and applying it. Now that I think about it, I'd say that some of the most beneficial experiences I've had here on OL were those which didn't involve philosophy directly. Discussing my hobbies and non-philosophical interests has done the most for my intellectual development, ironically!

Mike

Carrie,

Welcome to OL.

I don't know about expanding Objectivist horizons, but people do think for themselves around here using Objectivism as a starting point.

Lots of good people.

And it's OK to disagree with folks--the more honest thinking and challenging premises, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you have a good time.

Michael

Since you are separated, I would be cautious as to how specific you are on any public fora.

I have been called innocent before. . . please connect the dots for me. Specific about what?

And why "Selene" and "Adam"?

Now that I think about it, I'd say that some of the most beneficial experiences I've had here on OL were those which didn't involve philosophy directly. Discussing my hobbies and non-philosophical interests has done the most for my intellectual development, ironically!

Good point. I'll have to come back later and add my interests to my profile.

And it's OK to disagree with folks--the more honest thinking and challenging premises, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Cool. I love to paddle upstream in search of new species of flowers on the shore.

You guys were fast on the welcomes!

Welcome to Objectivism, Carrie.

You say you've read OPAR and VOS. What about Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead?

Having had experience with ARI, you may find OL somewhat disorienting at first. You will hear some views that are not only quite contrary to Objectivism but openly attack Objectivism as a corrupt philosophy. There are quite a few libertarians here who pay lip service to Objectivism but understand almost nothing about it. That may well be a positive thing because it will help you clarify your own independent thinking. Just remember to ignore the invective and consider the source.

Kipling's advice may prove useful here:

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

Welcome to Objectivism, Carrie.

You say you've read OPAR and VOS. What about Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead?

Having had experience with ARI, you may find OL somewhat disorienting at first. You will hear some views that are not only quite contrary to Objectivism but openly attack Objectivism as a corrupt philosophy. There are quite a few libertarians here who pay lip service to Objectivism but understand almost nothing about it. That may well be a positive thing because it will help you clarify your own independent thinking. Just remember to ignore the invective and consider the source.

Kipling's advice may prove useful here:

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

I have read Atlas Shrugged, parts of it twice, but haven't gotten to Fountainhead yet.

I like the poem, up to a point. I'm not sure how to define it, but there is a wide area where I can keep my head, and a point where being unjustly blamed becomes intolerable. But I'm a glass-half-full person, because it's what's in the glass that has the power to quench my thirst. The world is full of people who are contentious for contention's sake, but I am looking for people who enjoy exploring ideas honestly. I'll just ignore the rest. There isn't time in life to fix all the others, even if I could figure out how.

I have read Atlas Shrugged, parts of it twice, but haven't gotten to The Fountainhead yet.

I envy you, in a way. Reading The Fountainhead for the first time. Although Atlas Shrugged is Ayn Rand's magnum opus, some consider The Fountainhead her pièce de résistance. It is just as powerful, just as life-changing, and it will take you to a world you will not want to leave.

I like the poem, up to a point. I'm not sure how to define it, but there is a wide area where I can keep my head, and a point where being unjustly blamed becomes intolerable. But I'm a glass-half-full person, because it's what's in the glass that has the power to quench my thirst. The world is full of people who are contentious for contention's sake, but I am looking for people who enjoy exploring ideas honestly. I'll just ignore the rest. There isn't time in life to fix all the others, even if I could figure out how.

You may not be able to fix all the others, but when you notice that certain posters are obviously petulant children whose parents do not monitor them closely enough--you know, when their ill-smelling posts consist of yelling childish epithets--there is an "ignore" function on your profile which will enable you to block them out.

You will get a sense of what it must have been like when they invented the flush toilet.

I'm relatively new to Objectivism, having been actively religious until about two years ago, when I had a total turn-around almost overnight. Well, it felt like overnight! Probably it was more like a few weeks. I read OPAR and VOS, dallied around on the ARI site and an Objectivism forum, and have made new friends. I announced to my family that I'm atheist, left the church I belonged to, and put my children into school after having home schooled them all their lives. I love finally having a fully integrated philosophy that isn't riddled with contradictions. Now I'm looking to expand my Objectivist horizons a little and explore objective thinking from a less orthodox perspective.

you home schooled your youngsters. Well done! One must toughen up the kids so they can maintain their intellectual integrity, even against the assaults and insults that well be applied to them in the Public Schools. After a certain degree of toughness is achieved the youngsters will be intellectually safe, even in the Public Schools and may ever get some benefits their.

Ba'al Chatzaf