View the Atlas Shrugged Movie Trailer Today!

Ed Hudgins

[...] Des Moines, Iowa is not likely to be on anybody's list of qualifying cities.

Former denizen of Des Moines (suburban Urbandale, actually) here, M.L., who says:

Too bad that, assuming it would open in Des Moines at all, they don't have the vast River Hills (formerly) Cinerama screen to show it on any more. Wasn't that torn down to provide parking for the Iowa Events Center? (I haven't been there in a decade.)

Des Moines actually would be an interesting crossover town — it's an overgrown small town, not a smaller city — in which to screen "Atlas Part I." Everybody thinks they're Midwestern farmer-virtuous individualistic stock, and they believe in it so deeply that they can't wait to get the ethanol subsidy checks from Washington.

It might either energize them toward virtue, or embarrass them out of their vices.

Edited by Greybird

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It's effective.

It makes the alienation of Rearden from his family apparent and, just as the novel does, begins to lay the groundwork, to motivate the deeper philosophical gulf.

(If I had a minor quibble, I would have used somewhat more of Rand's actual dialogue in this scene: I just reread it, and its quite effective. One hopes the scriptwriters have not replaced Rand's dialogue wholesale throughout the movie.)

Edited by Philip Coates

[...] Des Moines, Iowa is not likely to be on anybody's list of qualifying cities.

Former denizen of Des Moines (suburban Urbandale, actually) here, M.L., who says:

Too bad that, assuming it would open in Des Moines at all, they don't have the vast River Hills (formerly) Cinerama screen to show it on any more. Wasn't that torn down to provide parking for the Iowa Events Center? (I haven't been there in a decade.)

Des Moines actually would be an interesting crossover town — it's an overgrown small town, not a smaller city — in which to screen "Atlas Part I." Everybody thinks they're Midwestern farmer-virtuous individualistic stock, and they believe in it so deeply that they can't wait to get the ethanol subsidy checks from Washington.

It might either energize them toward virtue, or embarrass them out of their vices.

Believe it or not there are several - maybe a dozen or more - Ayn Rand fans here. The Barnes and Noble keeps selling her books. My little library in Newton, IA carries her books as do the libraries in Des Moines. The subsidies have become a way of life. Look at Archer Daniels Midland who makes the bio fuel.

Actually, you're right - this is the perfect location for opening AS the movie along with carrying on a conversation about proper government.

Believe it or not there are several - maybe a dozen or more - Ayn Rand fans here. The Barnes and Noble keeps selling her books. My little library in Newton, IA carries her books as do the libraries in Des Moines. The subsidies have become a way of life. Look at Archer Daniels Midland who makes the bio fuel.

Actually, you're right - this is the perfect location for opening AS the movie along with carrying on a conversation about proper government.

Small world. I spent 8-12th grade in Des Moines and my mother still lives there. Great town!

Jim

Small world. I spent 8-12th grade in Des Moines and my mother still lives there. Great town!

Jim

The capitol of the great state of Iowa! I went there many times as a child, and had a number of dates and music gigs there later on.

And Newton -- one of my two favorite uncles lived there. He was a musician, painter, and all-around nice guy.

Now, lookee here (if it hasn't inspired a new thread already), you've gotta see this newly posted scene from Atlas: "Henry Rearden Comes Home." http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/atlas-shrugged-movie-scene-henry-rearden-comes-home Can there still be any doubt, after seeing this scene, that the movie is going to be terrific?

REB

Re: the newly posted "Rearden comes home scene:"

Well, I guess that we all have different images in our minds as to how the characters in the novel looked, and also other details. So, I guess I can't complain that Rearden's mansion did not look as imposing in the film clip, nor the interior living room scene. The furniture looked baroque, not Henry Rearden's style...but maybe Lillian's, who I suppose would have done the interior decorating. Also, the people gathered when Hank walks in,...one of them is supposed to be his mother. The actress apparently portraying his mother does not look any older than her son (but maybe she does in a close-up).

It is hard to judge the dialogue in this scene. As I remember from the novel, Rand preceded that scene with a description of how much struggle Rearden had put in to make Rearden Metal, and what it meant to him. Whether the movie portrays that, we don't know since it wasn't included in the excerpt. But IF they don't capture the intensity of his struggle up to the pouring of Rearden Metal which occurred earlier that day, then the audience will be missing the full meaning and significance of the scene that is in this clip

I thought Lillian's appearance (not physically attractive, which is not how Rand portrayed her) was mildly disappointing. But the delivery of her lines did not (to me) capture the flippant insult that she delivered to her husband after he presented the bracelet to her. I think Rand portrayed it in the novel as if she had delivered a psychological slap to his face. But in the clip, he just smiles slightly, turns around, and walks away.

Then there's the Rearden Metal bracelet. On the screen, it looks like something he picked up at a local "Arts and Craft Show." In the novel, the bracelet is described as crude chain links, which is not what was shown.

This may seem a minor point, but readers of the novel will notice this. Can't they get that sort of detail right?

This probably sounds like I am putting the movie's scene down, but I am not. Those who have not read the novel, will obviously not miss these nuances. Overall, I thought the scene was not really bad, but was mildly disappointing. When we finally see the scenes before and after what was in the clip, it may look better.

Sorry, but comparison with the novel is inevitable. Oh, wait,... someone is going to say that you can't show the whole novel in this movie (or trilogy), that the director must be selective. Yes, but there are points in the novel that should not be missed, otherwise, the whole meaning and significance of what Rand is trying to convey will be lost!

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Kat and I are thinking of moving to Iowa. Tina is going there for college.

When we visited Iowa State, I really liked the people. And I really liked what I saw in general.

(Back to the movie...)

Michael

We are having fun in Iowa, too. Tomorrow at noon I'm going to the big protest at the state Capital in Des Moines to show support for the Governor's plan to fight back against unions for government employees - we are being driven by the AFL/CIO plan to hold a protest in support of the Wisconsin unions at our Capital. My only complaint about these protests is that it is illegal to put your sign on a stick, so you have to hold your arms above your head to get your sign high enough to be seen. I've done a few of these rallies over the last couple of years. It usually is pretty interesting. We will have Tea Partiers, Glenn Beck 912ers, Objectivists, and many others.

Any suggestions for short pithy sign content?

Marry:

It would depend on what you want to accomplish with the sign. Also, is the prohibition on only a wooden stick?

How about:

"Support civility or I will kill you! "

Just kidding.

In the 60's we had "F _ _ _ the State" buttons with the letters filled in, but I argued that that was much too nice an act to do to the state.

"Atlas Shrugged opens on April 15th 2011"------ would at least be positive advertising and would be an excellent recruiting and networking tool..

When we went to Albany to lobby for the Presumptive Shared Parenting Act , I carried an American flag upside down which is the international symbol of an emergency.

It was very well received. A lot of ex-military folks were drawn to asking about it.

Adam

When we visited Iowa State, I really liked the people. And I really liked what I saw in general.

(Back to the movie...)

Michael

But just below the surface is a steaming cauldron of low-life living, centered on corn . . .

--Brant

Mom was born in Iowa; my great-grandfather was almost governor in the late 19th C. and my grandfather got started in his journalism career in, I think, Iowa City.

Jim

The capitol of the great state of Iowa! I went there many times as a child, and had a number of dates and music gigs there later on.

And Newton -- one of my two favorite uncles lived there. He was a musician, painter, and all-around nice guy.

Now, lookee here (if it hasn't inspired a new thread already), you've gotta see this newly posted scene from Atlas: "Henry Rearden Comes Home." http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/atlas-shrugged-movie-scene-henry-rearden-comes-home Can there still be any doubt, after seeing this scene, that the movie is going to be terrific?

REB

I guess there ~is~ doubt that the movie is going to be terrific, even from the newly posted clip of "Henry Rearden Comes Home." <sigh>

However, among those whose expectations have not been affected by previous experience with the novel...

My 16-year-old daughter, who is a budding novelist, atheist, libertarian, etc., has previously been resistant to reading Atlas. But after seeing the trailer last week and now this scene @ the Rearden home, she has become galvanized. She and her 18-year-old friend (who is heavy into Austrian economics and libertarianism, and who has been accepted to George Mason University), along with my wife and me, are taking turns reading Atlas ~out loud~, fer chrissake! We're about 50 pages into the novel. My daughter "cannot believe these horrible people." (Exactly my reaction 45 years ago.)

I predict that there is going to be a LOT of this around the country, especially after April 15. (Details and mileage may vary.)

REB

Yes indeed REB:

After sending the trailer to about ten (10) folks who had not read Atlas, eight of them have picked up the epic and are reading it!

Border's has the micro-dot version paperback for ten ($10.00).

I am re-reading it again just for the sheer joy of absorbing her writing all over again.

The selfish gift that keeps on giving!

Adam

(Back to the movie...)

Michael

Shoeless Chicagoans come to Iowa:

A farmer overheard them remark, "Well, we do not believe in heaven, but OMG this will do!"

Adam

Jim

REB

I guess there ~is~ doubt that the movie is going to be terrific, even from the newly posted clip of "Henry Rearden Comes Home." <sigh>

However, among those whose expectations have not been affected by previous experience with the novel...

My 16-year-old daughter, who is a budding novelist, atheist, libertarian, etc., has previously been resistant to reading Atlas. But after seeing the trailer last week and now this scene @ the Rearden home, she has become galvanized. She and her 18-year-old friend (who is heavy into Austrian economics and libertarianism, and who has been accepted to George Mason University), along with my wife and me, are taking turns reading Atlas ~out loud~, fer chrissake! We're about 50 pages into the novel. My daughter "cannot believe these horrible people." (Exactly my reaction 45 years ago.)

I predict that there is going to be a LOT of this around the country, especially after April 15. (Details and mileage may vary.)

REB

Roger,

I'm almost as excited about this movie as I was when I was reading Atlas Shrugged. That apparently someone has been able to put together an adaptation of this novel that has scenes that work with visual pacing is amazing. It's obvious to me that dialogue is being adapted to make it the character's own. That was the huge problem with The Fountainhead movie. You could tell Gary Cooper wasn't natural with his lines and it showed. These actors are really getting their characters. The IMPACT of seeing Rand's characters brought to life is stunning.

Jim

After viewing the clip 4 more times and comparing it to that section in the novel, I have decided that the clip may be accurately describing the scene, given that they had to summarize and reword some dialogue. But it all depends on how Rearden's struggle to create his metal is described in the scenes preceding it.

Also, in the novel, Lillian does not deliver her parting insult (referring to the bracelet as representing the chain by which he binds us) in the presence of her husband. Whereas, in the clip, she says it to his face. With that change, Henry's reaction is too understated.

But, I'm still annoyed with their depiction of the bracelet. Not only does it look like an Arts and Crafts Show item, it definitely does not look like the first thing made from the first pouring of Rearden Metal.

(Back to the movie...)

Michael

We are having fun in Iowa, too. Tomorrow at noon I'm going to the big protest at the state Capital in Des Moines to show support for the Governor's plan to fight back against unions for government employees - we are being driven by the AFL/CIO plan to hold a protest in support of the Wisconsin unions at our Capital. My only complaint about these protests is that it is illegal to put your sign on a stick, so you have to hold your arms above your head to get your sign high enough to be seen. I've done a few of these rallies over the last couple of years. It usually is pretty interesting. We will have Tea Partiers, Glenn Beck 912ers, Objectivists, and many others.

Any suggestions for short pithy sign content?

Here's one: Reality, to be commanded, must be obeyed.

I agree. It's effective.

It makes the alienation of Rearden from his family apparent and, just as the novel does, begins to lay the groundwork, to motivate the deeper philosophical gulf.

(If I had a minor quibble, I would have used somewhat more of Rand's actual dialogue in this scene: I just reread it, and its quite effective. One hopes the scriptwriters have not replaced Rand's dialogue wholesale throughout the movie.)

Page 34 of the microdot pocket edition, 2nd paragraph:

Describing Hank: "His face was cut by prominent cheekbones and by a few sharp lines; they were not the lines of age, he had always had them; this had made him look young old at twenty, and young now, at forty-five." [score another for JR].

Page 35, begins, as REB noted, the "struggle" to perfect Rearden metal which took ten (10) years.

Page 36, 2nd par. from the bottom is a great paragraph, it begins with "He saw an evening where he sat slumped across his desk in that office. ... He was tired. It was as if he had run a race against his own body, and all the exhaustion of years, which he had refused to acknowledge, had caught him at once and flattened him against the desktop. He felt nothing, except the desire not to move."

This brilliant paragraph ends with:

"He asked himself who had started him and kept him going. Then he raised his head. Slowly, with the greatest effort of his life, he made his body rise until he was able to sit upright with only one hand pressed to the desk and a trembling arm to support him. He never asked that question again."

Beautiful. Anyone who has experienced this moment in their lives at whatever level will never forget it.

As he approached his "home," "...with a few semi colonial-pillars for reluctant ornament; it had the cheerless look of a nudity not worth revealing." <<<<seems these "incompetent buffoons" who managed to bring what we have been waiting for for five decades to the screen did a pretty good job on that vision of the approach to Hank's house.

So the weird looking dude is supposed to be Paul Larkin [53 years old], their old friend.

Phillip was 38, but his "...loose gangling body..." and "...chronic weariness..." made him look older than his brother. <<<<Well that works.

Bottom of page 40, picks up another part of the dialogue from the scene ND posted:

"Three months from now?" he said. "But you know that I can't tell what urgent business might come up to call me out of town."

The dialogue stays on track from there, through the anniversary dig from the vicious bitch.

Continuing, accurately, poured the first Rearden Metal, "..he dropped a small chain of metal into her lap." (bottom page 41), ..."The links were heavy, crudely made, the shining metal had an odd tinge, it was greenish-blue." <<<I guess that's a push.

The dialogue is faithfully followed again.

I think they missed one good Lillian line that is in the middle of page 42:

"Oh but, Phillip, you're so wrong! Henry has all the makings of a saint. That's the trouble."

On page 44, Larkin's conversation from the trailer in regards to "That your only goal is to make steel and to make money."

"But that is my only goal."

"But you shouldn't say it."

Bottom page 45 begins the Phillip and Hank conversation about the money and the Friends of Global Progress scum. It is also quite faithful to the book.

The difference is inflation...in the book, Phillip gets $10,000 and it will be in cash!

So, I am quite happy with what I have seen so far.

Adam

Post Script: Sorry Jerry I did not see your post on the dialogue. Also, the bracelet is a bit "off" as you pointed out.

Edited by Selene

Adam: "young at twenty"?

--Brant

Brant:

Grr. I did not proofread that post, I am working on a mortgage modification and that was typed on a quick break.

Thanks.

Adam

I guess this goes with my father taking me to those mosques in the "1050's!"

Roger,

I'm almost as excited about this movie as I was when I was reading Atlas Shrugged. That apparently someone has been able to put together an adaptation of this novel that has scenes that work with visual pacing is amazing. It's obvious to me that dialogue is being adapted to make it the character's own. That was the huge problem with The Fountainhead movie. You could tell Gary Cooper wasn't natural with his lines and it showed. These actors are really getting their characters. The IMPACT of seeing Rand's characters brought to life is stunning.

Jim

I agree. I am much more excited about the movie after seeing the trailer and the Rearden clip. It may be a good thing that a lot of Rand's dialogue was not included verbatim in the movie. This remains to be seen, but I am enthusiastic about what I have seen thus far.

Ghs

For a sign, how about something like:

See Atlas Shrugged the Movie for directions to Galt's Gulch. Opens April 15. or

Looking for Galt's Gulch? Watch Atlas Shrugged the movie on April 15. or

Who is John Galt?

Find out April 15 -

See Atlas Shrugged

the movie

Otherwise, I have to go with something more mundane like:

You don't need a Union

You've got Obama (or The Big Guns) or (the Gov't)

or

Gov't workers

Don't need no

Stinking Unions

or

Why are my taxes

Paying Union Dues?

O.K. That's totally off the subject. In the meantime, you all have actually got me looking forward to seeing the movie. I wonder how far I will have to drive to see it. Maybe the distributors will see all the hits on the trailers and open it wider. That would be good for us poor flyover states.

Who is John Galt?

Find out April 15 -

See Atlas Shrugged

the movie

You don't need a Union

or

Gov't workers

Don't need no

Stinking Unions

or

Why are my taxes

Paying Union Dues?

O.K. That's totally off the subject. In the meantime, you all have actually got me looking forward to seeing the movie. I wonder how far I will have to drive to see it. Maybe the distributors will see all the hits on the trailers and open it wider. That would be good for us poor flyover states.

Mary:

I like the one I highlighted the best for networking and recruiting.

How about:

Even Norma Rae Would Not Be a Member of This Union Today! <<<<<<<<<<<<Her union eventually became a part of SEIU!

I did not know this fact about how she died though:

"The North Carolina union organizer who was the inspiration for the movie "Norma Rae" died on Friday of brain cancer after a battle with her insurance company, which delayed her treatment. She was 68."

Norma Rae Died 2009 Brain Cancer

Adam

Who is John Galt?

Find out April 15 -

See Atlas Shrugged

the movie

You don't need a Union

or

Gov't workers

Don't need no

Stinking Unions

or

Why are my taxes

Paying Union Dues?

Mary:

I like the one I highlighted the best for networking and recruiting.

How about:

Even Norma Rae Would Not Be a Member of This Union Today! <<<<<<<<<<<<Her union eventually became a part of SEIU!

I did not know this fact about how she died though:

"The North Carolina union organizer who was the inspiration for the movie "Norma Rae" died on Friday of brain cancer after a battle with her insurance company, which delayed her treatment. She was 68."

Norma Rae Died 2009 Brain Cancer

Adam

Insurance comanpanies are frequently suggested as the best arbiters of all civil matters in hypothetical government-free libertarian societies.

The union movement will not be killed for the simple reason that it cannot be stopped from reproducing. New workplaces are unionized regularly to fight for the rights of the individual worker.

As cummings said,

"All ignorance toboggans into know,

then trudges up to ignorance again."

Carol:

Insurance companies[sic] are frequently suggested as the best arbiters of all civil matters in hypothetical government-free libertarian societies.

Really? You have some sourcing for the above statement? Or, maybe a definition of "frequently" that I have not frequented?

The union movement will not be killed for the simple reason that it cannot be stopped from reproducing. New workplaces are unionized regularly to fight for the rights of the individual worker

Actually, in the United States, the percentage of union membership, in the non governmental sector has regularly declined since the 1930's, net, with some spikes, to today's lowest percentage.

Moreover, I am not arguing for the elimination of unions. My argument is that public sector unions should never be:

1) closed shops;

2) able to collectively bargain all issues because their employer is the state, and, by extension, the taxpaying public; and

3) due to their public character, their ability and right to strike is and should be severely restricted by contract, e.g., air traffic controllers, police, fire, prison guards, teachers, etc.

Adam