View the Atlas Shrugged Movie Trailer Today!

Ed Hudgins

Ed: in response to your original post, I have the following comments:

Congratulations to you and all those associated with this achievement. I have high hopes for the success of this film. The trailer looks fantastic, and Dagny looks just like Dagny. For what it may be worth, I predict great financial success for this film, and a resurgence of interest in Rand's ideas because of it. If I could make a personal investment in this film, I would do so right now. Please send me an email if this is possible. :)

I will resist the urge to nit pick anything, since I am not in the trenches on this, and have no blood or treasure on the line. The easiest thing in the world to do just now is, from the comfort of one's laptop, predict doom or second-guess elements of a film that nobody has yet seen. I consider this nothing different--in principle--than a Peter Keating flunkee second-guessing Howard Roark's blueprints and claiming "that building won't look right". [And no, I am not calling anybody on this thread a Peter Keating flunkee--I am making an analogy, nothing more].

I think you and those associated with the film deserve the benefit of good will on this, especially from those who purportedly in agreement with the vast majority of Rand's ideas.

There is an interesting dynamic going on with this particular thread, which (as I have noted before) is a microcosm of the Objectivist movement writ large, circa 2011: Objectivism has become something of a swagger-free sniper's clique, rather than a philosophy of reason dedicated to the best within us.

It is a sad day when maybe, just maybe, a reproduction of Rand's Fallingwater is being constructed right before our eyes and the first instinct of some is to bitch about it.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> It is a sad day when maybe, just maybe, a reproduction of Rand's Fallingwater is being constructed right before our eyes and the first instinct of some is to bitch about it.

Exactly. It's basically the most frequent posters at this particular site.

They just give a cynical, snarky, nitpicky odor to things.

F.Y.I

The UTUBE site had 366,494 hits as of 3:25 P.M on 2/13

As of 2/14 at 11 A.M. the hits were 452,488

Not bad!

Previews are previews. They're all slickly produced, lushly scored, dramatically compressed, vigorously jump-edited, and bombastically phrased (by both announcer and cast). This one is no exception. It's a professional piece of work, comparing well with what's generated for any major-studio release.

It also may have little to nothing to do with the film as it is actually released, as to tone, depth of narrative, acting quality of the cast, effectiveness of the visuals, and actual music score (especially so, given that it's probably only being scored right now). So speculating on what it augurs for the finished film has very little point.

Is it going to pique interest? Yes, although there isn't enough in plot hints to attract those unfamiliar with the book.

Does it reveal the physical strengths and attributes (look, voice, demeanor) of the cast? Yes, to a great extent.

Will it spark discussion and "buzz"? It already has, though mostly from the forty years of attempts to film this book.

In those three crucial aspects, it's a successful preview. Whether the film will be similarly successful is still entirely open, but I still wish the best for its prospects, and will be there opening day.

Edited by Greybird

> It is a sad day when maybe, just maybe, a reproduction of Rand's Fallingwater is being constructed right before our eyes and the first instinct of some is to bitch about it.

Exactly. It's basically the most frequent posters at this particular site.

They just give a cynical, snarky, nitpicky odor to things.

There you go again. And just whom and what are you referring to?

--Brant

Rand's Fallingwater--a beautiful building :blink:

As of the last hour, nearly a tidal wave of people, closing in rapidly on 500,000, have seen the Atlas trailer on YouTube.

(People pretty much seem to either love it or hate it - just like the book.)

This trailer (and the movie it gives a peek at) is a historic milestone in the public impact of Rand's ideas. I'm surprised Diana Hisieh -- who tends to post on things major connected to Objectivism and the movement -- hasn't offered her reaction to it.

After all, she has previously posted cynically that we shouldn't expect much from the movie. So how about showing an intellectual pulse when there is finally the first glimmer of -hard evidence-?

...Okay, well, more important things to comment on have happened last couple days over at Noodlefood: "Yes, it's time for another funny cat video..."

[ I, by contrast, shy flower that I am, have put on my sword and buckler and posted on the topic and its implications and misunderstandings about it on a half dozen forums, some more than once.]

Edited by Philip Coates

Last I looked a nearly 500,000 people had seen the trailer on YouTube. People seem to either love it or hate it (just like the book).

This trailer (and the movie it portends) is a major event in the public impact of Rand's ideas. I'm surprised Diana Hsieh at Noodlefood -- who tends to post on anything connected to Objectivism -- hasn't offered her reaction to it.

After all, she's previously posted cynically that we shouldn't expect much from the movie. So how about commenting when there is the first glimmer of -hard evidence-?

Okay, well, more important things to comment on that have happened last couple days:

"Yes, it's time for another funny cat video..."

Boy, what a cynical, snarky, nitpicky odor emanates from this post. <_<

ND, are you truly unaware how dumb your last comment is?

Edited by Philip Coates

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to hear Hannity, a devout Catholic, say he can't wait to see the movie. Beckel, a devout liberal, stated how timely it was that it will be released on tax day. About half of the trailer was shown.

Edited by Las Vegas

Phil:

Your wish whim is my command comedic causation:

...Okay, well, more important things to comment on have happened last couple days over at Noodlefood: "Yes, it's time for another funny cat video..."

This one is so bad it is good.

Adam

It's been pointed out to me that I was being premature in jumping on Diana H for not commenting on the trailer when it's only been out a few days. Myself, I've sometimes been criticized for not doing something when I simply haven't gotten to it yet. So I ought to know how that can work.

Sorry about that.

Phil:

Adam

Wow, this means something! Cat....cat video shown on Objectivist web site....cats are selfish....Ayn Rand advocated selfishness....the cat is named Nora....Rand's sister was named Nora.

OMG! Is this cat....Rand's sister, Nora??? :D

REB

It's been pointed out to me that I was being premature in jumping on Diana H for not commenting on the trailer when it's only been out a few days. Myself, I've sometimes been criticized for not doing something when I simply haven't gotten to it yet. So I ought to know how that can work.

Sorry about that.

Phil, don't overlook the possibility that Comrade Sonia is, even as we speak, doing the Objectivist version of "lalalalalala, I can't hear you!" in re the Atlas movie trailer. In other words, imagine this dialogue between her and her husband: "Diana, what did you think of the Atlas trailer?" "But I don't think of the trailer." :P

REB

Phil:

Adam

Wow, this means something! Cat....cat video shown on Objectivist web site....cats are selfish....Ayn Rand advocated selfishness....the cat is named Nora....Rand's sister was named Nora.

REB

Intellectual property theft is no laughing matter.

-Schweine, Sveine and Sweine,

per the Estate of Henrik Ibsen

If you believe in reincarnation, didn't Nora die relatively recently, within the life span of a cat? BTW I believe it was the other sister who played the piano (Natasha?).

Cats are no more selfish than other animals - they are just too stupid to be friendly.

They're not pack animals like dogs. I prefer dogs as pets, in a sense they're more "honest". When you come home from work, a dog is delighted, wants to be petted, it's the best part of the pooch's day. A cat will greet you too, deposit some hair on your trousers, then as you reach down to pet, it walks away in a huff.

Sorry about that.

Phil,

You are apologizing to Dianah Hsieh on OL?

You got the wrong site, buddy.

Her site is Noodlefood. I can give you the URL if you like.

Hsieh even has an email so you can do something about your remorse. I can get that for you, too, if you like.

Shoot her an email and apologize.

That's what a man of integrity would do if he really felt the need to apologize.

That is, if he really felt the need to apologize.

Michael

Already had an exchange of emails, dude.

Hmmm.....I still haven't had time to read all your back emails apologizing to me over the years for shooting from the lip...

But I guess it's your touching remorseful thought that counts

:-)

Edited by Philip Coates

Phil,

I haven't ever apologized to you, from what I remember.

I don't remember ever gratuitously insulting you, either, which is one of my top reasons for apologizing. (I have made some playful comments at times, but the bantering context with smilelies,etc., frame those times as play, not bickering.)

I do recall reacting to a lot of crap coming from you, though. If you don't speak up, I rarely mention you.

So if you dish it out, and I give it back, and you consistently remain unrepentant for dishing it out--usually repeating the same crap over and over as proof of being unrepentant--I see no reason to apologize.

I am far more interested in the health of this forum than your feelings of being unjustly wronged. In your case, pointing out the double standards you constantly use between what you say and what you do when you go on the attack is more healthy to encouraging people to think for themselves than playing nice and fair with someone who does not play nice and fair.

But I still like you. I never stopped that. I mean it.

My conflicts with you are more on the kindergarten level than war. Since we are adults, that gets weird at times, but there it is.

(btw - If you truly apologized to Diana Hsieh in your "exchange of emails," I have no problem with you mentioning it here. Whether I agree or not with your reasons is beside the point on that score.)

Michael