[Atlasphere] Writer needed: Dan Edge threatened with 6 years in prison for organizing civil protest

O-Land News Junkie

Atlasphere member Dan Edge (writing from Greenville, South Carolina) sends the following:

In case you are unaware, I was unlawfully arrested at a protest I organized last month in opposition to an “emergency” curfew. The media is actively covering up the story and I’m facing potentially 6 years in prison. My arresting officer is guilty of serious Civil Rights violations, and I may file a 1983 Civil Rights lawsuit against the City of Greenville. The local media has been unwilling to publish the truth in this case, so I could use all the help I can get (including moral support!).

He has written much more on the topic here and here.

If anyone is interested in writing a column about this for publication at the Atlasphere, please contact me ASAP. We have some 7,000 members who’ve asked to be notified each time a new column is published, so our readership is non-trivial.

I would do it myself, were I not covered up by some daunting professional commitments.

http://www.theatlasphere.com/metablog/832.php

This is an appalling story. It is sadly not surprising.

Not quite. Now he gets a lot of publicity for his cause, but he's too dumb to know this or courageous enough to pay the price without donning the cloak of victimhood. He doesn't even know how the situation has expanded to his ideological benefit because he thinks it's just one bad cop. Many cops tend to hate teenage boys. They were recently teenagers themselves and can't stand any challenge to their authority. As soon as the "bad" cop saw him interacting with that one kid when that kid should have been gone, Dan became one of them regarding that. He had already been fingered as the primary instigator of the whole thing.

Cops will shoot anyone down who is perceived as a threat to their reaching retirement age in one piece. They have much more legal justification than you or I would and are much more likely to get away, literally, with murder. The use of the Taser has saved many civilian lives, even though some have been killed by it. If you have a domestic situation going on, you might pay a steep price to call in the law.

--Brant

Mr. Edge is posting a bunch over at SOLOP.

Not that anyone there seems to be offering him any help over there.

That the Greenville News sucks up to certain local powers, such as the Greenville City government and the Clemson University Board of Trustees, is widely known.

I could have told Mr. Edge about that, and referred him to others who know much more than I do, but in his blind sectarian fury he had no interest in seeking my advice.

If the events are as he described them, Dan Edge deserves a lot of people's support.

After his gratuitous tirades against those who would normally have been his allies, I wonder whether he will get any.

Robert Campbell

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Edge had a hearing scheduled for yesterday, and he hasn’t updated his blog since. Could he be in the pokey? I hope not, but since he’s thrown some uncalled for brickbats at this forum here’s the place to indulge in some schadenfreude. Here’s to you, Danny Boy:

> since he’s thrown some uncalled for brickbats at this forum here’s the place to indulge in some schadenfreude

I wouldn't think or feel that way. Do you believe your intellectual opponents deserve to be persecuted by the state?

"When they came for the Catholics, I didn't protest because I wasn't a Catholic . . . . "

Do you believe your intellectual opponents deserve to be persecuted by the state?

No, but posting a link to a comedy bit isn’t going to contribute to his “persecution”. It’s just a joke, sorry if it didn’t energize your levity circuits. From skimming the info on his case, it looks like nothing more than a tempest in a teapot. Facing six years in prison? Oh puhleeze.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

> sorry if it didn’t energize your levity circuits

That's okay, not everyone finds the same things funny. Lots of Objectivists find South Park and Monty Python hilariously funny.

I wouldn't accuse them of mental illness until I knew a bit more. :mellow:

Edited by Philip Coates

From skimming the info on his case, it looks like nothing more than a tempest in a teapot. Facing six years in prison? Oh puhleeze.

Keep in mind that Edge says that he'll be representing himself and questioning witnesses. The combination of his peculiar zeal and ignorance could get him into a lot of trouble in front of a judge.

J

Lots of Objectivists find South Park and Monty Python hilariously funny. I wouldn't accuse them of mental illness until I knew a bit more. :mellow:

Huge Python fan here, and South Park is often great, sometimes awful. The episodes about Scientology and the Mormons were awesome. Sounds like you're inclined to think this is symptomatic of mental illness...

Keep in mind that Edge says that he'll be representing himself and questioning witnesses. The combination of his peculiar zeal and ignorance could get him into a lot of trouble in front of a judge.

J

Like Jean Valjean doing 19 years hard labor for stealing a loaf of bread. Could happen, and if he sees the video I link to above he may think twice. I could be saving this guy's ass. :lol:

> Huge Python fan here, and South Park is often great, sometimes awful. The episodes about Scientology and the Mormons were awesome. Sounds like you're inclined to think this is symptomatic of mental illness...

See now YOU are not getting a joke. Sounds like your ninth doctorate was not in humor, eh? :rolleyes: heh, heh, heh...

> he'll be representing himself and questioning witnesses

Oh Jesus! Objectivist Arrogance again. I missed that. Bad idea. Say the wrong thing and you could piss off the judge or run afoul of a misdemeanor or technicality.

> See now YOU are not getting a joke. Sounds like your ninth doctorate was not in humor, eh? :rolleyes: heh, heh, heh...

Phil: I think you’re alright, don’t get me wrong, but if I had to choose between getting water from a rock, blood from a turnip, or a laugh from one of your posts, my money would be on the turnip to win, the rock to place, and for you to not even finish the race.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

> See now YOU are not getting a joke. Sounds like your ninth doctorate was not in humor, eh? :rolleyes: heh, heh, heh...

Phil: I think you’re alright, don’t get me wrong, but if I had to choose between getting water from a rock, blood from a turnip, or a laugh from one of your posts, my money would be on the turnip to win, the rock to place, and for you to not even finish the race.

I protest. Phil's sense of humor often comes out in his posts, a self deprecating sort of humor that is often as dry as the Gobi Desert--in other words, the best sort of humor.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have an episode of South Park to watch :)