Rand on Johnny Carson

I've been searching in vain for any video on-line of Rand's appearances on the show.

Surely some video recording exists. I believe she was a guest 3 times.

Any info anyone has regarding such would be greatly appreciated.

I've been searching in vain for any video on-line of Rand's appearances on the show.

She appeared three times. I saw one at the time. Many Carson shows were lost when NBC technicians recorded over the tapes. Carson was incensed when he found out. Rand's appearances (1967) were likely lost. I recall a shot of the audience that seemed to show Barbara Branden in the first row.

--Brant

She appeared three times. I saw one at the time. Many Carson shows were lost when NBC technicians recorded over the tapes. Carson was incensed when he found out. Rand's appearances (1967) were likely lost. I recall a shot of the audience that seemed to show Barbara Branden in the first row.

--Brant

Anyone have air dates for these appearances? That might help in a search to track down recordings.

Bill

I very much doubt that tapes of Rand on the Carson show would be available online. The original tapes were not lost, they were destroyed. For some years, all the tapes of his shows were automatically destroyed -- which Carson was not aware of; when he learned of it, he stopped the practice immediately. Whoever destroyed them thought they were of little value. So the only people who would have a record of Rand's appearances were people who taped the shows when they were aired.

I have a good friend who has tapes of all three of Rand's appearances. I'll ask him if there is some way he can make them available to members of Objectivist Living.

I have a very clear memory of Rand's first appearance. It was a delight to watch and listen to. It was Rand at her very best, brilliant, incisive, dancing gracefully and happily among ideas. She was more relaxed than I ever knew her to be -- before and after -- in any other appearance. Carson asked excellent questions, and was clearly fascinated by her. He cancelled all the guests scheduled to appear after her, and kept her until his time was up. It was apparent that they liked each other and were enjoying their conversation.

And yes, Brant, I was seated in the front row -- having a wonderful time!

Barbara

Barbara reports what I have been told. I however have heard an audio recording recently. I will report on the aviaablity of that. Her first appearance was great. The second was good. The last was disappointing.

A comment someone made when the first was played was Ayn Rand didn't believe in sound bites.

Edited by Chris Grieb

--Brant

Anyone have air dates for these appearances? That might help in a search to track down recordings.

Bill

Barbara "I have a good friend who has tapes of all three of Rand's appearances. I'll ask him if there is some way he can make them available to members of Objectivist Living"

Many thanks, that would be awesome.

Seeing them would be a first for me, since I was in Japan at the time, serving in the Army (actually FORCED in to the Army via the draft)

I very much doubt that tapes of Rand on the Carson show would be available online. The original tapes were not lost, they were destroyed. For some years, all the tapes of his shows were automatically destroyed -- which Carson was not aware of; when he learned of it, he stopped the practice immediately. Whoever destroyed them thought they were of little value. So the only people who would have a record of Rand's appearances were people who taped the shows when they were aired.

I have a good friend who has tapes of all three of Rand's appearances. I'll ask him if there is some way he can make them available to members of Objectivist Living.

I have a very clear memory of Rand's first appearance. It was a delight to watch and listen to. It was Rand at her very best, brilliant, incisive, dancing gracefully and happily among ideas. She was more relaxed than I ever knew her to be -- before and after -- in any other appearance. Carson asked excellent questions, and was clearly fascinated by her. He cancelled all the guests scheduled to appear after her, and kept her until his time was up. It was apparent that they liked each other and were enjoying their conversation.

Barbara

It would be wonderful if the videos could somehow be made available.

Bill

Barbara; Does your friend have video recordings of Rand's appearances? My friends and others have audio reordings only. The VCR was not commercially aviable until the 70ths. I have been told that someone has a video recording.

Barbara; Does your friend have video recordings of Rand's appearances? My friends and others have audio reordings only. The VCR was not commercially aviable until the 70ths. I have been told that someone has a video recording.

Yes, Chris, his recordings are video. (I'll be seeing him tomorrow, and I'll ask about it then.)

Barbara

The thing that I most remember was when Carson asked her a good, probing, but simple question -- like [paraphrasing from ancient memory] "But if everyone were selfish wouldn't it be dog eat dog?" or "Wouldn't great monopolies take over the economy and triple prices?", her answer was not only simple and compelling to people like us, but the studio audience laughed in delighted surprise, as if getting something for the first time.

This has to be one of the most powerful intellectual events ever on television.

It -should- be widely available now -- I don't think it would be "dated" because Carson, a very intelligent man, asked about the basics of economics, politics, and ethics. It would be enormously powerful and convincing to those who had never heard any of these arguments before.

She was pleasant, making points never heard before on national television with a calm, smiling, innocent simplicity. The level of response was overwhelming. Thunderous applause at several points. (I don't think it's possible to pack a Tonight Show audience in that big auditorium?, so I'm guessing it was a few Oists, but lots of walk-ins.)

Putatively, her single best public appearance on a national stage - and the biggest national stage of all. Everyone watched Carson - young (myself), middle-aged, old.

I remember the one time, when Carson, a liberal, I think, laughed and said emphatically, in a tone of bemused surprise at himself for agreeing with her chain of logic, "You HAVE a point there!!"

It was possible to "pack" the audience. This was New York City. The question is what tickets were available in what quantity to whom. It wasn't an auditorium.

--Brant

The thing that I most remember was when Carson asked her a good, probing, but simple question -- like [paraphrasing from ancient memory] "But if everyone were selfish wouldn't it be dog eat dog?" or "Wouldn't great monopolies take over the economy and triple prices?", her answer was not only simple and compelling to people like us, but the studio audience laughed in delighted surprise, as if getting something for the first time.

This has to be one of the most powerful intellectual events ever on television.

It -should- be widely available now -- I don't think it would be "dated" because Carson, a very intelligent man, asked about the basics of economics, politics, and ethics. It would be enormously powerful and convincing to those who had never heard any of these arguments before.

She was pleasant, making points never heard before on national television with a calm, smiling, innocent simplicity. The level of response was overwhelming. Thunderous applause at several points. (I don't think it's possible to pack a Tonight Show audience in that big auditorium?, so I'm guessing it was a few Oists, but lots of walk-ins.)

Putatively, her single best public appearance on a national stage - and the biggest national stage of all. Everyone watched Carson - young (myself), middle-aged, old.

I remember the one time, when Carson, a liberal, I think, laughed and said emphatically, in a tone of bemused surprise at himself for agreeing with her chain of logic, "You HAVE a point there!!"

I very much doubt that tapes of Rand on the Carson show would be available online.

(snip)

Barbara

Barbara -

Isn't it amazing how charming and engaging Rand could be? One of the most intellectually engaging people . . . able to focus attention completely on one person, to engage them, to get them started thinking, . . .

This was the side of Ayn Rand I remember the most - not the occasional (not a statement about frequency!) verbally attacking the questioners at a Q&A session. But the one who would provoke, then engage, smiling confidently.

Bill

Alfonso:

~ Too bad this is not the way her persona has USUALLY been (behaviorally[?]) 'analyzed' by her character-detractors.

~ I've never seen these appearances, though I often caught Carson. I suspect that they're probably worth their weight (video-tape oz.) in gold, to some, now. --- I'd settle for the audios, but, the videos are probably quite worth watching.

~ I wonder what she (contrary to Wayne Newton?) thought of Carson...

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

I spoke to my friend who has video tapes of Rand's appearances on Johnny Carson, and asked if he could make them available to Objectivist Living. He is the man who is making a movie of Anthem. Shooting is planned to begin probably in the spring of next year. I am familiar with the circumstances and the people -- and the script -- involved, and I expect the movie will be wonderful. Yes, I know that "wonderful" is a strong word, and that's what I intend to convey. We first discussed his plans for a movie of Anthem more than twenty-five years ago, when it was still only a dream in his mind, and I thought then, listening to him, that this was the only man I would trust to create a movie from the book that I dearly love. Now, it is more than a dream, it is a reality, but the sensitivity, the understanding, and the sheer intelligence of his approach has remained intact, now strengthened by greater maturity and knowledge.

He explained that for certain business reasons, he cannot immediately make the tapes available. But he said I may give you his guarantee that within the next year, he will do so and will make it known where and how they may be obtained -- probably without charge -- at that time.

Barbara

Barbara -

Isn't it amazing how charming and engaging Rand could be? One of the most intellectually engaging people . . . able to focus attention completely on one person, to engage them, to get them started thinking, . . .

This was the side of Ayn Rand I remember the most - not the occasional (not a statement about frequency!) verbally attacking the questioners at a Q&A session. But the one who would provoke, then engage, smiling confidently.

Bill

Alfonso, she was incredible. I've seen her charm audiences many times, often audiences perhaps most of whom came to jeer and stayed to applaud enthusiastically and to besiege her with questions. She had the power of certainty; she spoke quietlly, without dramatic flourishes, but with utter conviction and devastating logic, and I've never seen an audience impervious to those qualities. They sat listening to many ideas that according to everything in their upbringing and everything they had been taught, should have horrified them, but instead so many of them were thrilled, energized, rapt with attention, feeling that they were embarking on an unprecedented intellectual adventure. They seemed to knew that they were not only hearing ideas that were unique in their experience, but that that they were seeing a woman who was compellingly unlike anyone they ever had encountered -- and that it was important that they listen and remember.

I will never forget the excitement of those evenings, and the combined intellectual exhiliration and earnestness of the audiences.

Barbara

It was possible to "pack" the audience. This was New York City. The question is what tickets were available in what quantity to whom. It wasn't an auditorium.

--Brant

Brant, it wasn't an auditorium, but it was a large room. I don't recall all the details of the ticket distribution, but I know that Rand, as was the custom, was given a fairly small number of tickets for her friends, and that was all. So the audience was not packed with Objectivists.

Barbara

Barbara:

"She had the power of certainty; she spoke quietlly, without dramatic flourishes, but with utter conviction and devastating logic, and I've never seen an audience impervious to those qualities."

Perfectly stated. It was why I was captivated by her presentations. Clarity and certainty have also allowed me to present her ideas in a Quaker Church group, a union hall, a "black" church in Southern Queens and thousands of other groups and friends for fifty years with extremely effective results.

I am actually quite content that I have missed all this infighting that has been going on for too long.

Thanks for the information on Anthem.

Adam

I spoke to my friend who has video tapes of Rand's appearances on Johnny Carson, and asked if he could make them available to Objectivist Living. He is the man who is making a movie of Anthem. Shooting is planned to begin probably in the spring of next year. I am familiar with the circumstances and the people -- and the script -- involved, and I expect the movie will be wonderful. Yes, I know that "wonderful" is a strong word, and that's what I intend to convey. We first discussed his plans for a movie of Anthem more than twenty-five years ago, when it was still only a dream in his mind, and I thought then, listening to him, that this was the only man I would trust to create a movie from the book that I dearly love. Now, it is more than a dream, it is a reality, but the sensitivity, the understanding, and the sheer intelligence of his approach has remained intact, now strengthened by greater maturity and knowledge.

He explained that for certain business reasons, he cannot immediately make the tapes available. But he said I may give you his guarantee that within the next year, he will do so and will make it known where and how they may be obtained -- probably without charge -- at that time.

Barbara

Barbara -

This is "wonderful."

Bill (Alfonso)

• 4 years later...

I put a link to this yesterday here:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12293&st=40#entry166241

but since then someone else has downloaded, converted, and whatever else and put it up on YouTube. So here ya go:

And here's the NBI movie promo plus fashion show, in case anyone missed it on the other thread:

What, no bikini contest?

The Objectivist announcements pertaining to Rand on "The Tonight Show."

The Objectivist

August 1967

pg. 15

On August 11, Ayn Rand appeared on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show," on NBC-TV. We regret that the arrangements for Miss Rand's appearance were confirmed too late for us to inform our readers about this program.

However, Miss Rand will appear again on "The Tonight Show," in October. The exact date has not yet been set. We suggest that our readers check with their local NBC stations or local newspapers for the date of Miss Rand's appearance.

The Objectivist

October 1967

pg. 15

After Ayn Rand's first appearance on the Johnny Carson "Tonight" show, on August 11, a member of the show's staff told her that she had received the highest mail response of any guest on the show in the past year, and one of the highest in the history of the show. There were over 400 letters, 75% of which were favorable.

The mail response to Miss Rand's second appearance on the show, on October 26, is much greater. The letters are still coming in, but as we go to press, the number of letters received at our office and at NBC is approaching 3,000. Of this number, only 12 letters were negative and all the rest favorable.

The possibility is now being discussed that Miss Rand may appear on the show again during the week of December 11.

Mark says -- here -- re the dates that they were August 11, 1967, October 26, 1967 and December 13,1967.

I find nothing in The Objectivists of November 1967 through February 1968 about the third appearance.

Ellen

The NobleSoul page where I obtained the three dates:

Chronology and Bibliography of Ayn Rand's Works

Compiled by Todd H. Goldberg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson": Rand appeared 3 times in 1967

(8/11/67,10/26/67 and 12/13/67) (Reprinted 2009, #F-36)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-36 is a footnote which references "Ayn Rand for Beginners" by Andrew Bernstein, which was published in 2009.

The following is from "Objectivist Calendar" by "B.B." page 352 of The Objectivist, November [correction: October, see below] 1967:

"After Ayn Rand's first appearance on the Johnny Carson "Tonight" show, on August 11, a member of the show's staff told her that she had received the highest mail response of any guest on the show in the past year, and one of the highest in the history of the show. There were over 400 letters, 75% of which were favorable.

"The mail response to Miss Rand's second appearance on the show, on October 26, is much greater. The letters are still coming in, but as we go to press, the number of letters received at our office and at NBC is approaching 3,000. Of this number, only 12 letters were negative and all the rest favorable.

"The possibility is now being discussed that Miss Rand may appear on the show again during the week of December 11."

However future Objectivist Calendars make no mention of such an appearance.

It might have been scheduled when there wasn't enough time to announce it. Also there may have been distractions at The Obectivist. "To Whom It May Concern" appeared in the May 1968 issue, and that issue was four months behind schedule.

The following is from "Objectivist Calendar" by "B.B." page 352 of The Objectivist, November 1967:

Mark,

See my post just above yours in which I quote the same statement. It's from the October 1967 edition, not the November 1967 edition. If your source said "November," the source was wrong. I assure you. I'm sitting here with a copy of the original magazine open to the page. :smile:

Ellen