AYN RAND, The comic book!

Michael Stuart Kelly

Does anyone know anything about this?

bigbookofwomenayn02.jpg

I found it on a blog, Funrama of Ryan Kelly in an entry called: Make A Donation, Get My Art--How Are You Doing?

Here is a quote from that entry:

AYN RAND, The comic book! Actually, commisioned by Heidi Macdonald for the aborted Big Book Of Women.

Hmmmmmmm...

Michael

Fans have been waiting for the book since advance buzz for it began nearly five years ago. It was actually solicited for a June 2001 release, but pulled from DC's shipping schedule at the last minute. Heidi MacDonald who was then editor of the book, said she was told orders had been canceled because the book would have shipped late, making it eligible for return by retailers. "Because, you know, everyone would return a nonfiction trade paperback," she posted, sarcastically, on The Comics Journal Message Board.

The Big Book of Wild Women: Dead or Alive?

Excerpted from The Comics Journal #262

By Michael Dean

Posted August 13th, 2004

Panel ©2004 Mary Fleener

http://www.tcj.com/262/n_limbo.html

DC Comics has a series of "Big Book of <something>" that came out in the late 1990s or so. These large format trade paperbacks had 2-3 pages of black and white art for each subject. This came out under their 'Paradox Press' inprint. Most are still in print:

THE BIG BOOK OF BAD

THE BIG BOOK OF GRIMM

THE BIG BOOK OF HOAXES

THE BIG BOOK OF LITTLE CRIMINALS

THE BIG BOOK OF LOSERS

THE BIG BOOK OF MARTYRS

THE BIG BOOK OF SCANDAL!

THE BIG BOOK OF THE '70S

THE BIG BOOK OF THE UNEXPLAINED

THE BIG BOOK OF THE WEIRD WILD WEST

THE BIG BOOK OF THUGS

THE BIG BOOK OF URBAN LEGENDS

THE BIG BOOK OF VICE

I have a couple of them (I think Urban Legends and Hoaxes). You can get more info on the series here: http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?cat=PARADOX+PRESS

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know anything about this?

bigbookofwomenayn02.jpg

I found it on a blog, Funrama of Ryan Kelly in an entry called: Make A Donation, Get My Art--How Are You Doing?

Here is a quote from that entry:

AYN RAND, The comic book! Actually, commisioned by Heidi Macdonald for the aborted Big Book Of Women.

Hmmmmmmm...

Michael

Any more to this? slanted, but interesting...

Some basic facts imposed on a matrix of Rand-as-shrew.

I find the Fountainhead visual amusing: the hero grasping what I presume to be a slide rule. Or is it a telegraph ripped from the ground by the oversized hero?--Or, as it might be interpreted by a reader not familiar with Rand's writings, a really big cross...

Jeffrey S.