''The Catholic Church shut down Galileo for a hundred years. I think we can shut down Julian Assange.''

sjw

I recently put the proposition, to a senior frontbencher in Federal Parliament, that the WikiLeaks horse had bolted, and that shutting down Julian Assange could not reverse a fundamental shift in the balance of power towards the citizens and away from the institutions that govern them.

His response was: ''The Catholic Church shut down Galileo for a hundred years. I think we can shut down Julian Assange.''

http://www.nationaltimes.com.au/opinion/politics/cant-hide-love-for-wikileaks-20110112-19o1w.html

Assange needs to be more careful than ever.

According to what I am reading, China is not amused.

And there is no debate about rights in China, press or otherwise. Nor about the conduct of their foreign spies.

Also, if China does the dirty work, all the inconvenienced West has to do is sit by and tut-tut a little.

Michael

I recently put the proposition, to a senior frontbencher in Federal Parliament, that the WikiLeaks horse had bolted, and that shutting down Julian Assange could not reverse a fundamental shift in the balance of power towards the citizens and away from the institutions that govern them.

His response was: ''The Catholic Church shut down Galileo for a hundred years. I think we can shut down Julian Assange.''

http://www.nationalt...0112-19o1w.html

The church did not shut Galileo up even for 8 years. While he lived his life out in house arrest he publshed Dialogs on Two New Sciences. He sneaked a manuscript out and it was published in Holland and then else where. His Dialogue on the Two World Systems was also published out of country in Galileo's lifetime.

They can't stop the Wave. When will they learn that?

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 1 year later...

This is gliding under the radar in the US...It is from a "progressive" site Common Dreams, or, as I call it "Common Wet Dreams:"

The consequences, if [Assange] loses, lie not in Sweden but in the shadows cast by America’s descent into totalitarianism. In Sweden, he is at risk of being “temporarily surrendered” to the US, where his life has been threatened and he is accused of “aiding the enemy” with Bradley Manning, the young soldier accused of leaking evidence of US war crimes to WikiLeaks.
The connections between Manning and Assange have been concocted by a secret grand jury in Virginia that allowed no defence counsel or witnesses, and by a system of plea-bargaining that ensures a 90 per cent conviction rate. It is reminiscent of a Soviet show trial.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/02/01-2