Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

pippi

STANFORD, Calif. - President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said.

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

This is just part of the article-whole thing is here http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20027837-501465.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

I would write my representatives but I did that with health care and I got form letters back telling me how great it was-all it produced was me getting angry. How can one fight this?

STANFORD, Calif. - President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said.

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

This is just part of the article-whole thing is here http://www.cbsnews.c...ain;contentBody

I would write my representatives but I did that with health care and I got form letters back telling me how great it was-all it produced was me getting angry. How can one fight this?

Pippi:

Thanks. This makes me feel VERY uncomfortable. Out of curiosity, who is your Congressperson/man/woman/transgender/undeclared?

Whew, did I leave anyone out?

Adam