Glenn Beck's Theblaze.com

pippi

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/breaking-media-heavyweights-join-management-team-at-the-blaze/

I was never enamored of Glenn Beck - found him to be too silly and too pontificating - this only validates my thoughts:

MANAGING EDITOR SCOTT BAKER PROMOTED TO EDITOR IN CHIEF

New York, NY, January 5, 2011 – Former Huffington Post CEO Betsy Morgan and Former Premiere Radio Networks President Kraig Kitchin will join The Blaze, Glenn Beck’s four month-old information network, it was announced today by Christopher Balfe, President & COO of Mercury Radio Arts.

I was impressed with his rally this summer though-the sheer number of people was quite something. I wanted to believe him but I am seeing that he may be (ok I am sure he is) a master charlatan, I knew there was something 'off' about him- I actually was hoping otherwise but after seeing the rally I went to listen to his radio show and was sorely disappointed. The search results didnt help

I also read his 'profile' on salon.com and found it quite telling-taunting a colleague after his wife had a miscarriage amongst other ratings stunts-how tasteless and cruel - he seems like a puffier version of gail wynand or charles foster kane (hearst) and just as ruthless

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/09/21/glenn_beck

Of course I could change my mind tomorrow.

Edited by pippi

Pippi, put down the gun! Things aren't that bad. Jeez, I turned on the computer half-awake this morning and you scared me half to death. And I was under the impression that you're female? Was I wrong? I made this mistake with Selene, at first I thought that was her first name and she was a lady who for some reason chose to wear a yarmulke. (Sorry, Adam). I don't mind looking at scary guys, masked guys, weird guys, various thrusting rockets,silos, trains throbbing into tunnels etc if I have to, and I will never tire of looking at Rowan Atkinson, but I'm Canadian and guns depress me. I'd love it if you'd adopt the brilliant Beauty and Beast pic of Adam's instead, you could dump the Beast.

Pippi, put down the gun! Things aren't that bad. Jeez, I turned on the computer half-awake this morning and you scared me half to death. And I was under the impression that you're female? Was I wrong? I made this mistake with Selene, at first I thought that was her first name and she was a lady who for some reason chose to wear a yarmulke. (Sorry, Adam). I don't mind looking at scary guys, masked guys, weird guys, various thrusting rockets,silos, trains throbbing into tunnels etc if I have to, and I will never tire of looking at Rowan Atkinson, but I'm Canadian and guns depress me. I'd love it if you'd adopt the brilliant Beauty and Beast pic of Adam's instead, you could dump the Beast.

Carol:

No harm, no foul. New York City basketball rules. If you are not bleeding, pick yourself up and in bound the damn ball! lol.

The yarmulke perception is more amusing than a female friend who when she met me said...oh so you are not bald! Ah the tricks that sunlight can play.

Why do guns depress you? They are tools, not toys. They are like scalpels, they can save a life. They can feed a family.

What should depress you is the person who sees a gun as an extension of their inferior ego or as a prop. They depress me to no end.

"I don't mind looking at scary guys, masked guys, weird guys, various thrusting rockets,silos, trains throbbing into tunnels etc..." Hmm, very interesting, there is enough subtle eroticism in that sentence to keep a therapist busy for a whole bunch of sessions, lol.

Adam

Reminding himself that if more females were properly trained, the rape rate would approach zero.

Thanks for accepting my apology, O Lunar One. There's always silvery light and clarity when you rise in the cyber sky.

I should have been more precise. It's handguns and automatic and semiautomatic weapons that depress me, as the only purpose of these tools is to kill or maim as many living things as possible in the shortest amount of time. The statistics on children killed by siblings and playmates whose idiotic parents allowed them access to handguns depress me. The number of illegal American guns in Canada depresses me, and so on.

I actually own a shotgun that was my dad's, but it's so old they probably don't still make bullets for it . it's in the custody of my cousin who has a hunting license, and of course registered with the RCMP. This weapon probably euthanised our family dog back in the 60's, and that's depressing in a way, but poor Dusty had unluckily survived distemper. He was given to having fits, complete with green froth, usually under the stoplights in the middle of town. He also habitually slept in the middle of the road outside our house, causing motorists to stop and physically move him. I'm sure many hoped that some tourist would just run over him.

Enough became enough, and I came home from camp one year to be told that Dusty had been put to sleep by the vet. I was sad but, like everyone else, especially the grocery deliveryman, relieved. A few years later my grandmother, ever the blabbermouth, remarked that "Poor Jack just hated having to shoot that dog".

Dear old Grammie, she was a mine of information. It was she who admonished me, "Don't believe anyone who tells you you're adopted" (I didn't know what adopted meant, but I had noticed that I seemed to be the only "only child" in town). And in that vein,"Of course your parents didn't have to get married". This really mystified me, as I did not learn the physical facts of life until well into my teens.And everybody was married, so I assumed everybody had to be. All this was about was, I was born 10 months after the wedding. Wonderful Grammie, she introduced me to LM Montgomery and Norah Lofts, who sustain me to this day (dead serious here), and she made the best doughnuts I have ever eaten or ever shall eat. Better than Tim Hortons, even. God rest her heroic soul.

As to the psychology and erotic imagery of the images posters choose to present, now that I know for sure you are a gentleman, it would not be proper for me to discuss them with you. I am respectable widow.

With greatest esteem,

Carol

Carol:

Fair enough.

Also, as an only child, we have a lot in common. I was always surprised that folks would say how lucky it was to be an only child.

I never understood that statement.

Have you or anyone else on OL ever read the book: The Birth Order? http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Order-Book-Why-You/dp/080075977X?tag=dogpile-20

Chapter 7, page 130 deals with the only child.

Interesting, this is a new revision from the 1985 book. One aspect about the original was that he was clear as to his "window" or gestalt which is Christian.

Adam

Adam, thanks so much! I am fascinated by birth order and interested in all the studies that come out. I am sure it has a far bigger influence on adult lives than people realize. I even often give this as an essay topic in my Academic Writing class.

Interestingly I had the opposite experience to yours, people commiserated with me for being an only. I was lucky though, I had 41 first cousins, half of whom I grew up with in the same town, and when I started school, found good lifelong friends. I did find being an only child onerous when I was young. All kids think the world revolves around them and that everyone is always looking at them and judging them, but in my case they really were, especially my inexpressibly dear mother. Also, as I have realized, I never learned essential life skills of negotiation and argument at the proper time. I never learned to fight for a place in the perceptibly real world.

I always wanted a sibling, especially a brother, even though I thought if I had one, he would probably be the favourite and not me. Now I wish I had one more than ever. It is lonely to have no one remember with you, the "days of lost content" that Housman sang of. And I'm glad that I had two children.

Just back to the guns for a moment, the armaments industry is an outstanding example of capitalist success. Have you read "The Arms of Krupp"? Talk about depressing.

Sorry. that should have been "Ways" not days. Apologies to AE, here's the whole verse:

"These are the ways of lost content

I see them shining plain

The happy highways where I went

And cannot come again"

Now I'm not sure, maybe it was days after all. I hate to misquote except on purpose.

Adam, thanks so much! I am fascinated by birth order and interested in all the studies that come out. I am sure it has a far bigger influence on adult lives than people realize. I even often give this as an essay topic in my Academic Writing class.

Interestingly I had the opposite experience to yours, people commiserated with me for being an only. I was lucky though, I had 41 first cousins, half of whom I grew up with in the same town, and when I started school, found good lifelong friends. I did find being an only child onerous when I was young. All kids think the world revolves around them and that everyone is always looking at them and judging them, but in my case they really were, especially my inexpressibly dear mother. Also, as I have realized, I never learned essential life skills of negotiation and argument at the proper time. I never learned to fight for a place in the perceptibly real world.

I always wanted a sibling, especially a brother, even though I thought if I had one, he would probably be the favourite and not me. Now I wish I had one more than ever. It is lonely to have no one remember with you, the "days of lost content" that Housman sang of. And I'm glad that I had two children.

Just back to the guns for a moment, the armaments industry is an outstanding example of capitalist success. Have you read "The Arms of Krupp"? Talk about depressing.

Carol:

Have not read the book, but I am looking into it. Appears that the author, Manchester had an anti-German bias. Looks interesting though about a State-supported crony capitalist family.

I also had cousins in the same number range as you, including two (2) that literally lived across the street and we were inseparable.

Adam