The Crayon Box Problem

geekgirl

I have no argument with the "supremacy of reason."

Why do you have so many insult gears in your transmissions? You end up going in reverse.

--Brant

But "authority of reason" causes you a problem. WTF? Are you a petty-minded quibbler? Never pegged you that way before.

Shayne

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you have so many insult gears in your transmissions? You end up going in reverse.

--Brant

But "authority of reason" causes you a problem. WTF? Are you a petty-minded quibbler? Never pegged you that way before.

Shayne

"Authority" causes me a lot of problems. Reminds me of Leonard Peikoff, Phil, police officer control freaks and all the wrong people in our sundry governments.

--Brant

but you pegged me for a sophist

--Brant

Shayne

"Authority" causes me a lot of problems. Reminds me of Leonard Peikoff, Phil, police officer control freaks and all the wrong people in our sundry governments.

--Brant

but you pegged me for a sophist

Well now I'm pegging you for acting like a silly and obnoxious twit. How about you knock it off.

First dictionary definition for "supremacy" I found: "the quality or state of being supreme; also : supreme authority or power".

My use of the term "authority" in the above is meant to be exactly equivalent to Rand's use of "supremacy." This much is obvious from the context. If my use of the word "authority" causes you psychological distress, feel free to substitute "supremacy", and to see a psychiatrist.

Shayne

One point should be kept in mind.

Supremacy of reason is within the context of the entire human mind, which contains a great deal of irrational and pre-reason components. Also, supremacy pertains to knowledge, not things like dreams, emotional balance (like mood swings), etc.

In other words, for knowledge and evaluating reality, reason has to be supreme. But supremacy does not mean ignoring the parts of the human brain that also operate. It means putting reason over them in order to best deal with them, not obliterating them from existence. And, like all organic things, they surge at times.

Nature to be commanded must be obeyed. That starts with correct identification--including correct identification of how the brain works.

Michael

Supremacy of reason is within the context of the entire human mind, which contains a great deal of irrational and pre-reason components. Also, supremacy pertains to knowledge, not things like dreams, emotional balance (like mood swings), etc.

In other words, for knowledge and evaluating reality, reason has to be supreme. But supremacy does not mean ignoring the parts of the human brain that also operate. It means putting reason over them in order to best deal with them, not obliterating them from existence. And, like all organic things, they surge at times.

Nature to be commanded must be obeyed. That starts with correct identification--including correct identification of how the brain works.

Michael

A timely reminder and good overview, Michael.

It's easy to forget that those "irrational and pre-reason components" are reality, too. An inner reality that can be known and comprehended to a large degree.

As for 'supremacy' versus 'authority', I guess I am a little sensitive to the 'a' word, so I acknowledge Shayne's view that the two are interchangeable when applied to reason.

Tony

Michael

I see this as your way of expressing the fact that to obey reason is to reject the mind-body dichotomy -- another of Rand's great insights.

Shayne

Hmm dont think you know indymedia the nergi ppl hakim bey (taz) bob Black Are not they a prove of loners of the left wing ? but dont loner just dont care abut politics they just buy a pda a lonley planet guidbook a linux laptop read stotic pilsophy and then just keep ther mouth shout and do ther owen things ? but maybe they are just the rhigt/left wings call postmodernism foks becuse they cant join any of them they are sulsifecent becuse of travel?pilosphy?iq?knolegde?

Hmm dont think you know indymedia the nergi ppl hakim bey (taz) bob Black Are not they a prove of loners of the left wing ? but dont loner just dont care abut politics they just buy a pda a lonley planet guidbook a linux laptop read stotic pilsophy and then just keep ther mouth shout and do ther owen things ? but maybe they are just the rhigt/left wings call postmodernism foks becuse they cant join any of them they are sulsifecent becuse of travel?pilosphy?iq?knolegde?

prollycuztheguy whowe3ntand talkcdtothegyinthesentencedintknowwhat thefu ck he was taokign about or even looka tthe keyboirad so that we conltve eknow what you are tqataking agbout thatq the the ie shhgy sin the gtofbooowoekdwrodsales take int he the gtake about hte giurlint hbos swasthe tjgy tant thetht ti goyush the hoouttone and nobody toakes to hbme.