Why would any rational person celebrate Xmas?

kiaer.ts

Ted,

LOL...

I almost fell off my chair laughing.

Dayaamm!

:)

(I'm mellowing, though. He made some good remarks about Kat and I'm a sucker where she's concerned. :) )

Michael

Excellent move, Michael. That comment should earn you a very merry Christmas. :rolleyes:

Merry Newtonmas!

Fourteen, eh? You have the patience of a saint, Theodore.

If you click on portal then on view new content (which I have bookmarked as my link for this forum) it gives a list of the most recently active threads. At the time of my starting this thread, 14 of them were complaints or expressions of superiority posted by "on the rag" John. It was a simple act of enumeration on my part, and required no investigation of content on my part. I spent considerably less time counting the posts than I did composing this explanation.

I think Old Santa Claus is finally losing his hearing. I asked for gold for Christmas, not a troll for Christmas.

Happy Festivus,

Kat

LOL!

I hope there aren't any bridges near where you live, Kat!

Happy New Year!

~ Shane

• 5 months later...

I'm new, so I feel I have the freedom to necro old threads with new thoughts and questions.

Christmas 2010 was the first year in several years that I actually celebrated Christmas. I didn't want it to be over. So I bought a bunch of Xmas decorations at steep discounts after it.

My intention was/is to have a Xmas in July party.

So I wanted to float the question

I imagine most of us aren't Christians here but

Do you guys celebrate Christmas, if so why, and to what degree?

I'm new, so I feel I have the freedom to necro old threads with new thoughts and questions.

Christmas 2010 was the first year in several years that I actually celebrated Christmas. I didn't want it to be over. So I bought a bunch of Xmas decorations at steep discounts after it.

Fred:

Yes.

As a celebration of the beauty of man. I exchange gifts with folks that I love and respect.

Adam

Edited by Selene

You can always celebrate a secular Christmas as a festival of materialism.

Personally, I just call it Xmas ("take the Christ out of Christmas") and use it as an excuse to eat, drink and buy stuff.

"Xmas" is in fact a Christian expression. The "X" is the Greek letter chi ("key" if you're a classicist, "kye" if you're a statistician). It looks like our x but is in fact the "ch" in "Christ," "psycho" or "scheme," among others. Greek has a different letter, not much resembling any of ours, for the x in "exotic." The letter chi has been a standard abbreviation for "Christ" since the time of the Roman empire, and you join that tradition whenever you use "Xmas."

Edited by Reidy

To mark the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. This happens only once a year and is worth noting. Also the days get longer so the spirits may lift.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 weeks later...

No longer.

But I did for many years, when I was still a Christian. Always got stressed-out though because of the many Christmas preparations.

Christmas as the Winterfest or Christmas as Jesus' birthday party?

There is nothing untoward in marking a solstice or an equinox.

Ba'al Chatzaf