new utopia island project a real place for objectivis? or a lawsuit?t

kluss

Stranded at sea with a bunch of Ron Paul fans. What a horrifying thought.

I'm all for it. For utopians are always so frustratingly short on demonstration in discussions when asked about simple real-life scenarios, like e. g. "What do you do in your capitalist Anarcho-Utopia if someone pinches your wallet? Are there any laws and if yes, are they inforced? If yes, by whom?"

Somehow utopians (of whatever provenience) always seem to be reluctant to become specific, but an island where they can try it out would offer observers excellent empirical material of study.

If they allow observers over, that is. ;)

It would also interest me who for example removes the garbage and cleans the sewer canals on that island.

It is true that in Galt's Gulch the prime movers worked as bakers, etc. to help sustain the community, but one has to keep in mind that the Gulch was meant only to be a temporary place until it was time to go back to the world for them and work as prime movers again.

Whereas the island model is obviously thought of as real test run which is then to be transferred to the rest of the world.

As for insular communities sharing a common set of values and virtues (like e. g. the Amish) - I'm using insular in a figurative sense here - they can work to a certain degree because they don't have the problem of dissenters wanting to have no part of it.

If there is dissent, either the dissenter adapts or leaves.

I assume there are no discussions allowed that would question the premises of the whole thing.

As for the island project, it also raises the question as to how much individualism would be allowed there.

Edited by Xray

mean, really mean--hey!--I've got some nifty wine in my cellar!

As with your 'selfless' invitation a while back to try some sherry from the 'Cask of Amontillado' ;) you claimed to have in your cellar, with deepest regrets I selfishly decline your altruistic offer this time as well. :D

Edited by Xray

Utopian colonies have a terrible track record. Crap, for that matter the Pilgrims thought they were creating one, and they ended up with the Salem Witch Trials.

If only, if only. I think you create your Utopia in small, hand-made family type groups--family you choose. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me, anyway. I have a really nice one going on right now--very diverse, very together. We do communal activities but we do not function all together in a communal environment.

• 10 months later...

will not this gruop of ppl break up beofre they buy/lease/build land/boat/gated comunity and get new gruops that start there owen thing ?

like seasted alredy ahev blue seas and sombody that want to livie outside belize and colimbia beucse will all the libertarian sosical consverative/the milita/the hedonist/the transhuman /the big bussnis/the redneck libertarians mange to build and live togheter and no break dowen ?

maybe thats why they fail foks nthink it are easyer to get a perment resident card in yemen/philipines/antigua/singapore or pasport in dominca samoa marsahll island macedonia ?

Utopia is just another way of spelling scam.

Ba'al Chatzaf