The painted man

equality72521

The painted man is a must read.

Who or What is the "painted man"?

Are you referring to the "boogey men" that emerge from the Core to nibble on our toes?

Ba'al Chatzaf

The painted man is a must read.

Who or What is the "painted man"?

Are you referring to the "boogey men" that emerge from the Core to nibble on our toes?

Ba'al Chatzaf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Painted_Man

I think he is referring to this one. Fantasy eh? Now I'd have thought that objectivists would have steered clear of this genre of literature. Due to prevelance of magicians in these books who use magic to problem solve. Plus, as a genre it's all about living in harmony with nature and respecting the environment and lets not forget about how tribal the 'worlds' are.

Fantasy is what you call fiction. It can be perfectly worthy of appreciation, as is LotR, at least in book if not film form. What matters are plot, theme, style and characterization, which, for example, LotR has in spades. Rand praises fantasy by Isak Dinesen in The Art of Fiction. The view of Rand as disliking fantasy per se flows from a rather unsophisticated straw man picture of her typical of both her religious and leftist enemies, and of some of her more cultish admirers.

Not to say that fantasy can't be horribly done. It is quite true that in the hands of hacks magic hazards the ex machina.

Edited by Ted Keer

Kimmler, I think that if you read the posts on here you would learn a lot from people.

You are edging on trolling that isn't even on OO.net. Heck, I can't even see LP himself saying that.

I can't do right for doing wrong it seems. Though I did try to read Terry Goodkind. But struggled to get past the 1st 20 pages of his books. Yet doesn't he claim that his books aren't fantasy...yet...well they are. Aren't they?

Kimmler, I think that if you read the posts on here you would learn a lot from people.

You are edging on trolling that isn't even on OO.net. Heck, I can't even see LP himself saying that.

I can't do right for doing wrong it seems. Though I did try to read Terry Goodkind. But struggled to get past the 1st 20 pages of his books. Yet doesn't he claim that his books aren't fantasy...yet...well they are. Aren't they?

Hm. I have to say I agree with you about Goodkind. 20 pages was all I could do, and I read EVERYTHING. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, historical fiction, etc, etc., as long as the author grabs me, and many do.

Terry is too deliberately conscious of his Objectivist leaning, I think, so his content is romanticist, but his 'sense of life' not even close.

Tony

Goodkinds early work is not objectivist at all.

As to fantasy it is my preferred genre, I love fantasy. However I hate most fantasy books, the vast majority of fiction is trash I have many books which I wish I had never bought but every so often you find a gem. The Inheritance Cycle by christopher paolini is a great example of logical fantasy. The magic in it is restricted by logical rules, it cant be used to do just anything, and its use is limited to strength, its not endless.

For the Painted Man (also known as the Warded Man) is done well. There are it is true flaws in its character but they are minor and the author is just getting started in his career so he has much time to grow.