Japanese-operated cargo ship goes missing

Rich Engle

Time to attack the East African coast and sink anything that will float.

Recall what the U.S. navy did to the tripoli pirates.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Time to attack the East African coast and sink anything that will float.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Spoken like a true Objectivist. Remember, if it ain`t White...

Joel:

Out of curiosity, are you arguing that "Objectivism" is a racist philosophy?

Second, are you arguing that Ba'al is:

1) a big "O" Objectivist?; and

2) if so, an accurate representative who can speak for the big "O" Objectivist philosophy?

Thanks.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Spoken like a true Objectivist. Remember, if it ain`t White...

I am not, nor have I ever been a "true Objectivist:".

Ba'al Chatzaf

Selene,

There is an internet expression, "PDFTT" or "Please Don't Feed the Troll". It is rarely good for the forum, or the troll's blood pressure.

After reading the celebration of genocide in the Columbus Day thread as well as the ARI and Ayn Rand's sixteenth century view of humanity, Baal's post fits the pattern.

As for white power, when I see a prominent Objectivist denounce any holocaust of non white populations at the hands of whites I will change my mind.

Edited by Joel Mac Donald

Selene,

There is an internet expression, "PDFTT" or "Please Don't Feed the Troll". It is rarely good for the forum, or the troll's blood pressure.

After reading the celebration of genocide in the Columbus Day thread as well as the ARI and Ayn Rand's sixteenth century view of humanity, Baal's post fits the pattern.

As for white power, when I see a prominent Objectivist denounce any holocaust of non white populations at the hands of whites I will change my mind.

Define a "prominent Objectivist," please. I am not one, so I would rather have the definition expressed before I waste your time debating the issue.

Thanks.

Adam

Post Script: I am of pure Italian descent, therefore, we feed everyone, including trolls.

Selene,

No disrespect but just so you know, I am not taking this entirely seriously.

As for a prominent Objectivist, one employed by one of the major Oist organisations.

Ayn Rand demonstrated a colonialist, imperialist mentality, as does Peikoff and the author of the Columbus Day article which is as dangerous as it is ignorant and self serving.

I guess that will teach me, actually posting a news article, for once.

But, on the upside, I will never again feel guilty about thread hijacking.

rde

He said "hijacking." Get it? Huh-huh.

Rich:

That'll teach ya!

Joel: I will never speak or vouchsafe anything Dr. Peikoff asserts. I did not think much of him when I was active in the '60's Randian NY world or the 60's and 70's NY political world.

Ayn demonstrating a "colonialist", "imperialist" "mentality" bears some discussion.

Colonialism has ancient and modern definitions.

"Modern colonialism was not characterized by settlements but by external control. As a practice it dates, with a few exceptions (e.g., the Indian subcontinent), from the end of the nineteenth century, when the major European powers laid claim to, and attempted to rule over, enormous tracts of the globe—mostly in Africa and Asia—without establishing permanent settlements in them. In the twentieth century, Japan, Russia, and the USA joined the major European powers in such colonial activity. The term thus came to refer to a condition of unequal relations in which a strong ‘colonial’ state controls, and usually exploits, an alien and weaker people in the latter’s ‘homeland.’ The senior administrators were nonresidents."

Is this your definition?

Imperialism also has ancient and modern definitions.

"Imperialism is a state policy, practice, or advocacy of extending power and dominion, especially by direct territorial acquisition or by gaining political and economic control of other areas. Because it always involves the use of power, whether military force or some subtler form, imperialism has often been considered morally reprehensible and the term is frequently employed in international propaganda to denounce and discredit an opponent’s foreign policy"Is this your definition?

Thanks.

Adam Never assume that I am taking everything seriously also.

As Ambrose Bierce defined justice, n. as: A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.

Getting back to the topic, either these hijackings are inside jobs by people on the ship (being paid off, family threatened, etc.), or allowed by the shipping company for some twisted reason, or else we need some new international standards for allowable self defense. Something is very wrong here and I think it's mostly preventable.

Edited by rodney203

I recall that when the Maersk Alabama was boarded by Somali pirates last year—they ended up kidnapping the captain, etc.—it was revealed that Maersk had a company policy against crew members carrying guns.

The kind of piracy practiced out of Somali ports could be easily brought to an end if the pirates had to face armed crews. If the ships they were targeting were fitted with a few guns, would they even try to attack with the boats that they use?

The pirates operating out of Algiers, Tripoli, and other North African ports 200 years ago were supported by a fairly powerful state and were effectively carrying out the local ruler's foreign policy. Neither applies to today's Somali pirates.

Robert Campbell