Not exactly a quote but a way of conveying an idea.

GALTGULCH8

My daughter in law presented my wife and I with a gift which was a small box with a bow on it. Inside was a fresh lemon on which were two strips of paper about the size of those found in a Chinese fortune cookie. On one was written: "About two inches long" and the other: "But not for long"

I realized what this meant, that she was pregnant. When my wife, who had just about given up hope of ever being a grandparent after so many years of waiting and cajoling, realized, she was ecstatic.

Why the lemon? Because an egg would have been too obvious.

gulch

Edited by gulch8

My daughter in law presented my wife and I with a gift which was a small box with a bow on it. Inside was a fresh lemon on which were two strips of paper about the size of those found in a Chinese fortune cookie. On one was written: "About two inches long" and the other: "But not for long"

I realized what this meant, that she was pregnant. When my wife, who had just about given up hope of ever being a grandparent after so many years of waiting and cajoling, realized, she was ecstatic.

Why the lemon? Because an egg would have been too obvious.

gulch

Mazel tov.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Congratulations. Expecting my third nieble in February myself.

nieble? Pray what is that?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Congratulations. Expecting my third nieble in February myself.

nieble? Pray what is that?

Ba'al Chatzaf

A word I made up to refer to niece or nephew without reference to the gender.

My sister prefers not to know her children's sex ahead of time, a policy with which I concur.

The Old English for nephew (which itself comes from French) was nefa, and had that word survived, it would be neave, and its diminutive form would have been something like neable.

http://www.umanitoba...ge_list/41.html

oeterms.gif

Edited by Ted Keer