Aquinas in Three Minutes

BaalChatzaf

Please have a look at this:

This amusing blurb does a remarkable job of outlining Aquinas' proof for the existence of God.

It also points out why he was made a saint: he managed to produce a rational basis for Catholicism and he was not a pedophile.

Ba'al Chatzaf

After having viewed the three minute 'Aristotle' video you recommended, I have no intention of viewing any further videos you recommend.

Yeah, I second that one, Phil. What the f**k?

You don't show 5th-grader slide shows to grad students. And the comment about the Catholics, well, oh-my; if you haven't figured that out in the first place, you are pretty seriously f***ed.

Aquinas can be gotten in a nutshell. It is interesting writing, metaphysical, even, but jeez, that is so last-week. I got that when I was like 11.

I mean, you can just wiki that one if you require a review:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

From that alone, you can smell the foul stench of doctrine. Of dogma.

I guess it is just another case of someone assuming the need to conduct an educational clinic.

I've seen episodes of "South Park" that are more on-point.

rde

What the F***?

Edited by Rich Engle

Ken Wilber does a great argument against the idea that we can use observation of empirical reality as a foundation for faith-oriented issues. I might be misapplying it here, but basically Aquinas was arguing that the spiritual realm was responsible for the material world; determinists can argue the reverse - that the material world is responsible for the spiritual world. Wilber argues that they co-arise and neither can be explained by the other (and does a very handy job at it)