Grand Ayatollah of Lebanon has Died

Libertarian Muslim

As we say, We come from God and we return to Him..

Contrary to what many say, he was not the spiritual head of Hezbollah, the spiritual head of Hezbollah is Ayatollah Khamanei in Iran.. However Ayatollah Fadlallah did stand staunchly for justice and equality and supported resisting the Israeli occupation of Lebanon, devoting much of his life to promoting that justice and aside from his scholarly duties and the books he had written, he opened and funded many community projects to help the poor and orphans too.

The death of Ayatollah Fadlallah will bring many changes to the world, as the head of a Marja, he was the highest religious authority for many tens of millions of Muslims around the world both in Lebanon and abroad.. His death will effect the geopolitics of the region..

Edited by Adonis Vlahos

The death of Ayatollah Fadlallah will bring many changes to the world, as the head of a Marja, he was the highest religious authority for many tens of millions of Muslims around the world both in Lebanon and abroad.. His death will effect the geopolitics of the region..

How did his life effect the geopolitics? How will his death bring changes?

--Brant

How did his life effect the geopolitics? How will his death bring changes?

--Brant

Hi Brant!

His life effected geopolitics because he is a religious leader for most Lebanese and Syrian Ithna Ashariyya as well as a portion of the Iraqis, his fatwas had created changes to the way people behaved including regarding politics etc..

His death will bring changes because now his Marja is without a leader, meaning that his followers will now need a new leader.. This new leader will have the same influence as him.. I don't think there is anyone who could fill the void that he left..

It's quite sad..

Here is one result that affects the West.

CNN Editor Fired for Saying She Has "Respect" for Hezbollah Cleric

BY John McCormack

July 7, 2010

Weekly Standard

From the article:

Mediaite reports that CNN has fired senior editor of Middle East affairs Octavia Nasr. As Daniel Halper pointed out the other day, Nasr wrote on Twitter on July 4 that she was "sad" to hear of the death of Hezbollah's Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah--a man for whom she has "respect." Fadlallah had justified suicide bombings, is believed to be responsible for the Marine barracks bombing, and had said that "Zionism has inflated the number of victims in this Holocaust beyond imagination."

In a followup blog post last night, Nasr wrote that it "was an error of judgment for me to write such a simplistic comment and I'm sorry because it conveyed that I supported Fadlallah's life's work. That's not the case at all."

She explained that she knew about all the wicked aspects of Fadlallah's life--saying she even "lost family members" in the barracks bombing--and was simply referring to the fact that she respected Fadlallah for his opposition to "honor" killings and beating women.

Michael

Here is one result that affects the West.

CNN Editor Fired for Saying She Has "Respect" for Hezbollah Cleric

BY John McCormack

July 7, 2010

Weekly Standard

From the article:

Mediaite reports that CNN has fired senior editor of Middle East affairs Octavia Nasr. As Daniel Halper pointed out the other day, Nasr wrote on Twitter on July 4 that she was "sad" to hear of the death of Hezbollah's Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah--a man for whom she has "respect." Fadlallah had justified suicide bombings, is believed to be responsible for the Marine barracks bombing, and had said that "Zionism has inflated the number of victims in this Holocaust beyond imagination."

In a followup blog post last night, Nasr wrote that it "was an error of judgment for me to write such a simplistic comment and I'm sorry because it conveyed that I supported Fadlallah's life's work. That's not the case at all."

She explained that she knew about all the wicked aspects of Fadlallah's life--saying she even "lost family members" in the barracks bombing--and was simply referring to the fact that she respected Fadlallah for his opposition to "honor" killings and beating women.

Michael

How silly..

Nevertheless, this is just another reason I don't Twitter.. There's not enough room to go into depth on your thoughts so they can easily be misconstrued.

Not cool.

I want to make sure my thoughts are clear on this.

I don't mind any issue being brought up. But I do mind false impressions.

If a controversial leader is portrayed as all peace and love as given in the opening video, and he is controversial, then I believe the other side, also, should be at least looked at, especially when some concrete facts can be verified (like when a middle-of-the-road-to-left major news organization fires one of its managers for saying that she respected the controversial leader).

I do not believe in faking reality. It all has to be looked at. That means both the peace and love stuff (and I mean that) and the terrorism stuff.

Individuals must make up their own minds, not the person conveying the information. (He has his own mind to make up.)

I believe the best persuasion is by clarity, not by obscuring facts.

Michael