Philip Coates

Robert Bidinotto and Lee Child

Something similar happened with a new TV adaptation of Simenon's Maigret, played by Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean..). In general the reviews were not bad, but to me Atkinson is a definite miscast as Maigret, who in the books is described as a big man with an imposing physique (although he practically never fights in the stories). The rather skinny Atkinson isn't a bad actor, but he's no Maigret. He's also too one-dimensional in his acting, too much brooding, dark looking and being silent. No comparison to such great Maigret interpreters as Jean Gabin or Bruno Cremer. Anyway, Maigret should speak French, not English...

57 minutes ago, Max said:

Something similar happened with a new TV adaptation of Simenon's Maigret, played by Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean..). In general the reviews were not bad, but to me Atkinson is a definite miscast as Maigret, who in the books is described as a big man with an imposing physique (although he practically never fights in the stories). The rather skinny Atkinson isn't a bad actor, but he's no Maigret. He's also too one-dimensional in his acting, too much brooding, dark looking and being silent. No comparison to such great Maigret interpreters as Jean Gabin or Bruno Cremer. Anyway, Maigret should speak French, not English...

I think I saw an episode of this, I was just flipping channels and stopped when I saw him.  It wasn't a comic role at all.  It seemed good to me, though.  But as a comic actor he's simply off the charts, IMO.

17 hours ago, 9thdoctor said:

Anyone miss Phil?  No.

Correct.

After Phil left, I worried that I might miss his entertaining stupidity, but it turns out that there is always someone at OL ready to fill in for Phil, and even take it to a higher level.

J

On 11/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, 9thdoctor said:

Anyone miss Phil?

Dennis,

Without trying to make a quip (and, boy, is the temptation compelling :) ), I haven't thought about Phil in a long, long time. I'm only talking about him right now because of your post.

So, no, I guess I don't miss him. 

Whodda thunk it? Re Phil, I really am in the mode of: "But I don't think of you."

:)

Now that I am thinking about him, though, I do have an unanswered question. But I have a speculation about it.

I only met him once at an O-Land convention. He was charming, funny, and very pleasant to be around. This is the opposite of what he was online. I've wondered what makes people like that. And Phil was such a perfect example. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so to speak. I wanted to ask him back when he was active on OL what it was like, why he did it, etc., but there was no way to go into that online with a person like him and get an informational answer. It would just be more mind games, thin skin, control freak crap and so on.

But, really, Phil is a good person in person. Maybe when he puts written words down, he imagines it's for eternity and he has a huge responsibility to never be wrong or never condone this or that or whatever. Maybe he thinks speaking in person is for living in the here and now, so mistakes are OK, but writing is for posterity and has to be never wrong. In other words, I think it's a good possibility he created a writer role for himself and it kicked his ass every time he had to play it--on top of irritating the daylights out of everyone else around.

Oh, the irony. Despite all that conflict in countless posts, he never did his writer role right. He got a lot wrong down in writing and now it's here for eternity.

:) 

Michael

I do a welfare check on Phil every six months/year or so.  He is fine in Florida, happy, buried his mother who died at 105, and is teaching locally, including a course on Fake News. I get the impression he thinks all who remain here are mad. Mad, I say!

I read 20 or so of Childs Reacher series until I said enough. I dipped in for his last one, Past Tense, where the author channels the monosyllabic tone of Reacher through all of his undifferentiated characters.

Michael Connelly and his Bosh and step brother Mickey Haller characters are my favorite so far. Written by a crime scene investigative journalist in crime ridden La where there is plenty to pull from. If anything his books story line increase in intensity.  A Darkness More Than Light and its later day The Poet are masterpieces. 

Tim Tigner is awesome too. 

19 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

I read 20 or so of Childs Reacher series until I said enough. I dipped in for his last one, Past Tense, where the author channels the monosyllabic tone of Reacher through all of his undifferentiated characters.

Michael Connelly and his Bosh and step brother Mickey Haller characters are my favorite so far. Written by a crime scene investigative journalist in crime ridden La where there is plenty to pull from. If anything his books story line increase in intensity.  A Darkness More Than Light and its later day The Poet are masterpieces. 

Tim Tigner is awesome too. 

I just bought Past Tense which came out on November 5th. Dark Sacred Night a Harry Bosch book by Michael Connelly came out Oct. 30, 2018 and I may buy it.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I only met him once at an O-Land convention. He was charming, funny, and very pleasant to be around. This is the opposite of what he was online. I've wondered what makes people like that. And Phil was such a perfect example.

I only took that shot because I saw the story (about a new series without Cruise) and remembered there'd been a discussion here, so I thought I'd append it to the thread.  Then I got a big reminder of what a pointless asshole Phil was.  I wasn't even knocking Tom Cruise that hard, and I get this kind of reaction:

On 11/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
On 10/27/2011 at 11:15 PM, Philip Coates said:

Subject: The usual ND stupidity

> Jack Reacher...he’s tall...will soon be portrayed on film by Tom Cruise. ..This is like casting someone blond and clean shaven as Blackbeard. [ND]

That's a nonessential issue.

First, the novels don't make an issue of his height and anyway movies are filmed in a way that don't reveal Cruise's height. And secondly, your analogy isn't even intelligent: You could cast someone blond as Blackbeard; just die his hair.

On 10/28/2011 at 4:02 PM, Philip Coates said:

> the novels don't make an issue of his height and anyway movies are filmed in a way that don't reveal Cruise's height.

Notice how Nihilist Dipshit, the logician, makes a counter-claim to point 1 but ignores point 2, and thinks that he has provided a complete rebuttal.

"Nihilist Dipshit", I mean really.  At this point it's safe to say I've been proven right.  Though I saw both of the movies with Cruise, and thought they pretty good.  I particularly liked Werner Herzog in the first one. 

20 hours ago, Peter said:

I just bought Past Tense which came out on November 5th. Dark Sacred Night a Harry Bosch book by Michael Connelly came out Oct. 30, 2018 and I may buy it.

I liked Night School

On 11/16/2018 at 3:29 PM, william.scherk said:

I do a welfare check on Phil every six months/year or so.  He is fine in Florida, happy, buried his mother who died at 105, and is teaching locally, including a course on Fake News. I get the impression he thinks all who remain here are mad. Mad, I say!

Thanks! I like Phil. He would not think me mad, I says.

High Praise from Childs for Don Winslows writing.

"Intensely human in its tragic details, positively Shakespearean in its epic sweep, The Force is probably the best cop novel ever written."

Reading The Cartel along with watching Ozarks on Netflix. What a ride!