Return to OL

I think that it’s been about a year since I was last active reading or writing here on Objectivist Living – as well as on all other Objectivist or libertarian websites or e-lists (such as A2). I am sorry for being out of touch with many longtime online friends here. I was very ill a year ago and decided to stop participating in all online discussions because I tend to get too angry for my own good health.

In the last year I have been reading a lot – but using that archaic technology made from trees, once called “books.” Jeff Riggenbach had recommended some fiction many years ago on A2, and I have finally been catching up with them. On a related note, there are suddenly more Ayn Rand books on English-language bookstore shelves here in Bangkok – dramatically more.

I have some good libertarian friends here that I met via a local libertarian Meet Up website. Most are Americans but some are British, Indian or European. A sizable number of them got into libertarianism through reading Rand, and we may create a meet up group here especially for Objectivism – now that the fires of Bangkok have cooled down.

I use Facebook a lot to stay in touch with my former students as they go on through college and careers. As for OL members, I sadly learned through Facebook that Chris Grieb died recently. He was one fine fellow, and he will be missed.

I hope to try and catch up on some threads here on OL. This kind of site is easier for that because I can zone in on specific fora. But, for those here who know me, off the tops of your heads, is there any news that you think I might welcome about you or our fellow travelers: i.e., any achievements (books published, mountains climbed, etc.), noteworthy events, debaucheries beyond the usual, etc.? (If discussing that last category in public is too embarrassing, send me a PM.)

I’m looking forward to participating with you wonderful folks in this great forum again.

-Ross Barlow.

Good to see you back, Ross ;) Glad you're on the up and up, and that your surroundings are less volatile.

~ Shane

Long time no see, Ross. Welcome back!!!! I hope you're hanging in there and taking it easy, especially if health is becoming an issue. I'm not around much either but still lurkin' every once in a while!!! ;)

Angie

Thank you to Brant, David, Bill, Shane, Angie, Michael et al for the warm welcome back. This is a great website with friendly and knowledgeable people, and I have really missed the discussions here.

-Ross.