Charge the Real War Criminals

Kat

Chris,

The part I quoted is from a quote by Adonis of maritime law (San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea). The rights you talk about are not covered in the law Adonis was citing.

My point is the futility of trying to argue anything based on law when people want to shoot at each other in a push-shove situation.

Michael

Not so, with Hamas, who continue the contradiction of one day being the vulnerable victim begging humanitarian assistance; the next, making belligerent words and acts.

Do you equate all Gazans with Hamas? That's about like equating all Americans with Barack Obama. About half the people in Gaza are children, which means they don't give much thought to politics and have no influence whatsoever on elections that happen there.

Not so, with Hamas, who continue the contradiction of one day being the vulnerable victim begging humanitarian assistance; the next, making belligerent words and acts.

Do you equate all Gazans with Hamas? That's about like equating all Americans with Barack Obama. About half the people in Gaza are children, which means they don't give much thought to politics and have no influence whatsoever on elections that happen there.

I think of it as a 'Stockholm Syndrome' in reverse - the touted "friend and saviour" of Gazans, has since become their captor.

Hamas is the democratically elected representative of Gaza - elected without any intimidation, I'll assume for the sake of argument.

The portion of the populace that may be growing disillusioned with that choice could be growing, for all we know.

That they can do anything about it, now, is highly dubious .

Hamas has its own agenda, which evidentially does nothing of benefit for its citizens, except promise them future rewards when Israel is overthrown.

The citizens are now prisoners of their government, their own evasion, and their lack of reality.

As for the true innocents, and also the silent opposition, amongst Gazans, I reserve my genuine empathy for them alone.

Tony

I think of it as a 'Stockholm Syndrome' in reverse - the touted "friend and saviour" of Gazans, has since become their captor.

This is an excellent analogy.

Hamas has its own agenda, which evidentially does nothing of benefit for its citizens, except promise them future rewards when Israel is overthrown.

The citizens are now prisoners of their government, their own evasion, and their lack of reality.

I don't think it matters where you go. Politicians are always going to be politicians. In many respects, all citizens are "prisoners of their government."

Unfortunately, every society has a portion (maybe 20%) of people who want to tell everyone else in society what to do. They know what is best for everyone else. They have the solution to all of "society's problems." They just need the power to do it. And some of these people are just be sadists.

More importantly, every society has a large portion (about half) of people who just want to be told to do, what to think, etc. These are the types who say: "Yes, I killed the Jews. I was only following orders." I think this is actually the main problem with Islam--it encourages people to bow down and be servile. I think this is why Muslims don't rise up and say: "We are not going to be ruled by goons. We are going to have a civilized society with a civilized government."

Edited by Chris Baker