Chris Grieb - RIP

Chris Grieb - RIP

I just got a private notice from Ellen Stuttle informing me that Chris Grieb passed away and giving me some indications of where to confirm this.

On his Facebook account, there is the following message dated yesterday morning from his friend, Barbara Stevens:

For those of you who are friends of Chris's, or just correspond with him here, I have some very sad news.

Chris Grieb passed away sometime on Sunday, May 16, 2010. There are no details yet (he was found in his apartment on Wednesday), but it appears that he died in his sleep. Chris was a dear friend, a kind-hearted and... unique individual who was deeply interested in the lives of his friends and acquaintances, His wide-ranging knowledge was daunting--he was our own Alex Trebek. It's impossible to express right now all the ways he touched my life, all the little daily triggers that will make me think of him. For me, he was the person who put the friend in friendship, to use an old saying. He will be sorely missed.

This message above was written by Cynthia Ingham, who has corresponded with Chris for a very, very long time. Please take a moment to remember this unique character, and join Ms. Ingham and I in remembering his soaring spirit despite the challenges he faced.

I will miss Chris, as I believe we all will. He was a chirpy delightful presence here on OL. Now he is gone...

What sad news...

What sad, sad news...

Michael

Chris Grieb - RIP

I just got a private notice from Ellen Stuttle informing me that Chris Grieb passed away and giving me some indications of where to confirm this.

On his Facebook account, there is the following message dated yesterday morning from his friend, Barbara Stevens:

For those of you who are friends of Chris's, or just correspond with him here, I have some very sad news.

Chris Grieb passed away sometime on Sunday, May 16, 2010. There are no details yet (he was found in his apartment on Wednesday), but it appears that he died in his sleep. Chris was a dear friend, a kind-hearted and... unique individual who was deeply interested in the lives of his friends and acquaintances, His wide-ranging knowledge was daunting--he was our own Alex Trebek. It's impossible to express right now all the ways he touched my life, all the little daily triggers that will make me think of him. For me, he was the person who put the friend in friendship, to use an old saying. He will be sorely missed.

This message above was written by Cynthia Ingham, who has corresponded with Chris for a very, very long time. Please take a moment to remember this unique character, and join Ms. Ingham and I in remembering his soaring spirit despite the challenges he faced.

I will miss Chris, as I believe we all will. He was a chirpy delightful presence here on OL. Now he is gone...

What sad news...

What sad, sad news...

Michael

Oh, my God, this is terrible news and truly heartbreaking. He was such a sweet and caring man. I haven't been to facebook in a little while but would always see his postings and will miss them tremendously and will miss him. My deepest condolences to his family.

Horrible, terrible news. I thought his illness was in remission. Such a sweet, quirky guy. I'm so saddened by this. Good night Chris.

Sad news. Perhaps a stroke.

Chris was a subscriber to Objectivity from its beginning. Eventually, I had the delight of meeting him in person—gentle and intelligent.

Speaking of Whittaker Chambers’ 1957 review of Atlas Shrugged, Chris wrote:

“This is an awful review. Chambers however does deserve credit for recognizing that Objectivism and the Right were opposites. It is interesting that National Review and William F. Buckley keep reprinting this piece of swill” (11/6/05).

Chris’ favorite classical piece (12/29/06):

Pavarotti

You too, oh Princess,

in your chaste room,

are watching the stars which tremble

with love and hope.

But my secret lies hidden within me,

no one shall discover my name.

Oh no, I will reveal it only on your lips.

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

Well there’s a bad start to the day. I think he was on the video of the Burns/Heller appearance at Cato, he asked a question and introduced himself first. Bummer.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I had met Chris at one of the TAS summer seminars and we drove somewhere in his car. I didn't even know he was ill.

Chris Grieb - RIP

What sad news...

What sad, sad news...

Michael

Indeed, it is very sad news. Chris was an extremely kind and gentle man who had been involved in the Objectivist movement since at least the mid nineteen-sixties. He was a well-known and well-liked figure who was very often a stimulating presence at libertarian and Objectivist meetings in the Washington area. At most lectures where I also was in attendance, Chris would always make interesting comments during the Q&A period, drawing on his rich experience in these circles within the last fifty years.

I did not know him in the sixties, but in later conversations and in postings that he had made on OL, he indicated that he had attended NBI events, both in Washington and I think elsewhere in the Mid-Atlantic area. He had a wealth of experience and knowledge about various proponents and "flavors" of the Objectivist movement (and Libertarian and Conservative), which he would gladly share with all who asked him.

Chris was a strong supporter of The Atlas Society, on this website and elsewhere, and often made presentations during their Summer Institutes. He also would support causes protesting the violations of human liberties elsewhere around the globe. About five years ago, I ran into him at a protest rally organized by Christopher Hitchens, outside an embassy of a country whose representatives had given moral support for a radical Islamic cause.

A few years ago on this website, he announced that he had advanced prostate cancer and was receiving radiation treatment. I had assumed that the cancer was in remission, or that he had beaten it, since he subsequently appeared at Atlas Society and Cato Institute events, and seemed quite healthy and energetic. I was looking forward to seeing him again at the "Free Minds 2010" conference to be held outside Washington, this July. I do not know, however, whether that illness was a cause of his death.

Chris's enthusiasm and passion for all things relating to Objectivism, was infectious, and I am sure that all of us who have known him have been enriched by that expeience. We will surely all miss him.

Edited by Jerry Biggers

I had the pleasure of meeting Chris at events of The Objectivist Center and The Atlas Society, as well as at a few events in the Washington, D.C. area, such as at the Cato Institute. I have noticed him in a few audiences for authors on CSPAN TV also. I enjoyed our conversations and his presence at OL.

In every instance, he always seemed to be a gentleman with a deep interest in developing his understanding. He was a man who valued his own mind.

I am very saddened to hear of the passing of my friend Chris.

I met him sometime in the late '70s/early '80s at Doris Gordon's libertarian discussion group in the DC area. Chris was a regular attendee at the Atlas Society events as well as libertarian and pro-freedom events. He was excited about the upcoming Summer Seminar in Alexandria, Virginia. Among the reasons, he could take the subway from his place right to the conference hotel and not have to worry about sleeping on uncomfortable student dorm beds!

Chris would usually call our offices every week—sometimes several times—to catch up on what was going on with us, to get info from me on the latest political happenings, and let us know what was on his mind.

Chris was always supportive of TAS and open, benevolent Objectivism; he disliked the pure nastiness and malevolence found in some Objectivist sub-groups. This was hardly surprising because Chris was a very decent, caring, and nice guy. (I've had two siblings pass away in the past year or so and Chris would always ask about how my family was doing. And on family matters he was excited about his nephew's upcoming graduation.)

Chris was also a fount of knowledge about the freedom movement. When someone was trying to recall some fact from years ago, Chris could usually enlighten us. And he even called me a couple of weeks ago to wish me a Happy Tchaikovsky's birthday!

Chris will be much missed.

Chris-Greib-A.jpg

I didn't know Chris Grieb nearly as long as some of the other contributors here.

I did have the good fortune to talk to him at several TAS and Free Minds events.

This is a major loss.

Robert Campbell

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but our minds touched in many Objectivist e-venues over several years. Benevolence of his generous sort ought not to be as rare as it has been in many such venues. For his presence and conversation, I shall miss him very much.

I have been unable to find a referance online to any published obituary for Chris. Querying the Washington Post's and Times' databases have been unsuccessful, which is odd, because I am sure that he was a resident in D.C.

I also could not find a reference to a funeral or memorial service.

If anyone has information to add on these matters, please share it here. Thanks.

I met Chris only a few times, but we occasionally corresponded and often connected through Internet Forums. My impression was of a thoroughly good and honorable man. We can ill afford to lose such a man; there are too few of them. I'll miss his cheerfulness, his quiet intelligence, and his kindness -- and the uniqueness of his personality; one could not read one of his posts and think it was written by someone else.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

I have been unable to find a referance online to any published obituary for Chris. Querying the Washington Post's and Times' databases have been unsuccessful, which is odd, because I am sure that he was a resident in D.C.

If anyone has information to add on these matters, please share it here. Thanks.

http://www.ilasting.com/chrisgrieb.php

I never had the pleasure of meeting Chris in the flesh so I only know him through his postings on this board. I was very impressed with the calmness of his writing, despite the graveness of his illness. I hope that I have the courage to deal with impending mortality with the same grace.

R.I.P.

Ba'al Chatzaf

http://www.ilasting.com/chrisgrieb.php

Thanks, Merlin, for providing me with that link to the memorial website created for Chris.

Others on OL may also wish to visit that website for information about the memorial service, remembrances from his friends, and the opportunity to sign the Guestbook and add a note remembering Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very sad to hear about Chris Grieb's passing. Chris left an impression on me with his kindness, generosity, and intellectual kinship, even though I am a student and had never gotten the chance to meet him unfortunately. He was on my mind while I was at college, and has been since I heard about his death a few days ago. I'll remember him and try to be as warm and generous as he was when I have reached intellectual maturity.