How We Came to What We Love

Philip Coates

The next major influence on me, in terms of music, occurred in 1958, with the airing of the first episode of the television show "Peter Gunn."

The fantastic jazz score by Henry Mancini -- one of the great geniuses of American music -- was revolutionary; nothing like it had ever been associated with a television series before. This was the tune that first sparked my interest in jazz, a passion that has remained with me ever since.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next major influence on me, in terms of music, occurred in 1958, with the airing of the first episode of the television show "Peter Gunn."

The fantastic jazz score by Henry Mancini -- one of the great geniuses of American music -- was revolutionary; nothing like it had ever been associated with a television series before. This was the tune that first sparked my interest in jazz, a passion that has remained with me ever since.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcflCzZlLcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

OMG, that was awesome!!!!!! A definite fave of mine and honestly couldn't help but get a little groove on with it too while listening to it!!! Superb!!!!!

Music has always been a passion of mine as well. Grew up around it because of my father being in a band, touring, etc., from when I was a kid. Exposed to a lot no doubt and have many great memories from those days!!! And had the opportunity at that party the other weekend to see so many of them again which was amazing in and of itself!!!!! Good times, no doubt!!!!

I enjoy most all genres but more drawn to classic rock and roll. It was what I was raised on and music always playing in the house or my dad practicing his guitar which he is quite skilled at to say the least or going with them to watch them practice!!!!! Music is still this way now for me and will always be a major focal point in my life!!!

> In 1954.."The High and the Mighty," starring John Wayne...the gorgeous theme by Dimitri Tiomkin....1958, with the airing of the first episode of the television show "Peter Gunn." The fantastic jazz score by Henry Mancini... [GHS]

Boy, both of those beautiful pieces of music bring back a lot of memories! I remember liking the movie as well (it also had a young Robert Stack in it), but I don't remember anything about the "Peter Gunn" show.

Edited by Philip Coates

OMG, that was awesome!!!!!! A definite fave of mine and honestly couldn't help but get a little groove on with it too while listening to it!!! Superb!!!!!

A score by Henry Mancini could make even a mediocre movie memorable. A good example is "Two For the Road" (from the forgettable movie with the same name), one of the most beautiful ballads ever written. Some time ago I uploaded one of my favorite versions of this tune to YouTube. It is by the pianist George Shearing. Although Shearing was not a great vocalist, his voice and style are perfectly suited to this number.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In my earlier musician days, I worshiped two composers: Henry Mancini and Duke Ellington. While a junior in high school, I actually had a one-on-one conversation with Ellington that lasted three hours. It's an interesting story, and I'll tell it sometime. It began after a famous and very drunk tenor sax player in Ellington's band, Paul Gonsalves, put some heavy moves on my mother after the last set of a nightclub performance in Tucson, and Ellington came over to apologize....

Talk about an unforgettable memory!

Ghs

George, nice pieces. I never saw the John Wayne movie, but I've heard the Peter Gunn piece quite a few times. That's a classic!

If I had to pick a favorite of all the movie scores, it would have to be Basil Poledouris's "Anvil of Steel" for the opening of Conan the Barbarian. I had seen the movie dozens of times, but it wasn't until I bought the movie sountrack that it him me...the music! Brass rules! Haha!

~ Shane

Shane, I did not continue doing any work on cars beyond the designing and building of models from age 14 to 18, one model each year. It was very consuming. They were for the competition of the Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild. I have owned two cars only, as most of my years were on public transportation. As you might guess, they were GM designs. For eleven years, I had a 1984 Fiero. For one year, we have had a Solstice.

What gripped the boys in the Guild were those designs we saw in the Newsletter: drawings of futuristic cars by professional stylists and photos of top models in the contest of the preceding year. Then there was one’s own yearlong creation. With my first model, I first became a creator. That was it for the rest of my life—creation. The media would change, I would make the shift from the visual to the linguistic, but the creation has never stopped these four decades after.

At age 18, I was given The Fountainhead. You might say I was well primed for it.

Charles, I too liked the details. Robert, thanks for #69.

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

George, nice pieces. I never saw the John Wayne movie, but I've heard the Peter Gunn piece quite a few times. That's a classic!

If I had to pick a favorite of all the movie scores, it would have to be Basil Poledouris's "Anvil of Steel" for the opening of Conan the Barbarian. I had seen the movie dozens of times, but it wasn't until I bought the movie sountrack that it him me...the music! Brass rules! Haha!

This is an excellent score; I recall liking it when I first saw the movie in Hollywood. (I also thought the movie was well done for a genre film.)

The late Roy Childs was a huge fan of movie scores; he often played some of his favorites for me while we were living in the same Hollywood apartment building during the early 1970s. One of his favorite movie composers was Erich Korngold, who wrote the score for Errol Flynn's "The Adventures of Robin Hood," as well as for many other classic movies.

Roy was a serious movie fanatic, and some of the films he liked were not what you might expect from a high-powered intellectual. For example, he was crazy about Bruce Lee films, especially "Enter the Dragon." I recall that he tried to drag Barbara Branden to see this movie, but I don't know if he succeeded. Perhaps Barbara recalls his efforts. :)

One of my all-time favorite scores is the music that Miklos Rozsa wrote for "El Cid" (1961). Here is the love theme:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

A score by Henry Mancini could make even a mediocre movie memorable. A good example is "Two For the Road" (from the forgettable movie with the same name), one of the most beautiful ballads ever written. Some time ago I uploaded one of my favorite versions of this tune to YouTube. It is by the pianist George Shearing. Although Shearing was not a great vocalist, his voice and style are perfectly suited to this number.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In my earlier musician days, I worshiped two composers: Henry Mancini and Duke Ellington. While a junior in high school, I actually had a one-on-one conversation with Ellington that lasted three hours. It's an interesting story, and I'll tell it sometime. It began after a famous and very drunk tenor sax player in Ellington's band, Paul Gonslaves, put some heavy moves on my mother after the last set of a nightclub performance in Tuscon, and Ellington came over to apologize....

Talk about an unforgettable memory!

Ghs

Another beauty and tugs at the heart strings. New fan over here!!!! Nothing like introductions!!! Thank you. Reminds me of something I've always wanted to take up and will eventually and that's Ball Room dancing, Latin, Tango, Salsa, etc. Girlie thing perhaps. I've always enjoyed dancing but have never taken it to anything serious but have thought about it and will eventually. I know it's something I would be very good at, love how graceful and the sensuality of it is. At a Christmas party quite a number of years ago, :) I was asked to dance and ended up dancing with a Latina girl, had a lot of fun and playing around and she showed me how to dance the Salsa and I picked it up very quickly, amongst other dancing that was going on. I have to admit it was a lot of fun!!!!!

Hmmm....once things cool down on the homefront, only a week left for me I think until June 1st!!!!!!!!! and being home free so to speak and then perhaps another month or two after June 1st, it will be all good and may look into it then!!!!!!!! I've wanted to do it for a long time and many places where I am!!!!!

As for your story, what an experience and would be interesting definitely!!!

This is an excellent score; I recall liking it when I first saw the movie in Hollywood. (I also thought the movie was well done for a genre film.)

The late Roy Childs was a huge fan of movie scores; he often played some of his favorites for me while we were living in the same Hollywood apartment building during the early 1970s. One of his favorite movie composers was Erich Korngold, who wrote the score for Errol Flynn's "The Adventures of Robin Hood," as well as for many other classic movies.

Roy was a serious movie fanatic, and some of the films he liked were not what you might expect from a high-powered intellectual. For example, he was crazy about Bruce Lee films, especially "Enter the Dragon." I recall that he tried to drag Barbara Branden to see this movie, but I don't know if he succeeded. Perhaps Barbara recalls his efforts. :)

One of my all-time favorite scores is the music that Miklos Rozsa wrote for "El Cid" (1961). Here is the love theme:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esle00Apbic&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

With such beauty to my ears now on this thread, I could sit here for hours and being completely submersed in it!!!!

Another beauty and tugs at the heart strings. New fan over here!!!! Nothing like introductions!!! Thank you.

Even if you are not familiar with Henry Mancini by name, some of his tunes have become so embedded in American culture as to be instantly recognizable and well-liked even by people who don't consider themselves to be jazz fans. Mancini did more during his heyday to popularize jazz in America than any other person. His "Pink Panther Theme" is probably the best example.

Ghs

Another beauty and tugs at the heart strings. New fan over here!!!! Nothing like introductions!!! Thank you.

Even if you are not familiar with Henry Mancini by name, some of his tunes have become so embedded in American culture as to be instantly recognizable and well-liked even by people who don't consider themselves to be jazz fans. Mancini did more during his heyday to popularize jazz in America than any other person. His "Pink Panther Theme" is probably the best example.

Ghs

I've definitely heard of him and have heard "some" of his work but would have never taken such an interest in him as to pursue his music until now and what you initially showed me so thank you for the introduction and now sparking my interest to pursue his work.

As for Pinkie, yes, most definitely. But I'm not one to watch much TV and haven't for many many years. There are shows that I watch but it is extremely limited in the amount of time I spend in front of the TV so I'm not familiar with the "classics" or what people call the "classics" or many other movies. This may account for Ninth making a comment a while back as to my misquoting someone.....LMAO Have heard that phrase used but don't know the exact details or the person who said it but it got the point across. LOL I'm a bit quirky obviously. :)

There's still a number of other posts I want to read and respond to and will soon.

George has been offering up a great little intro for me and am enjoying what I'm hearing.

The "El Cid" number is very, very nice. I haven't seen that one, but I did see the remake with Charlton Heston when I was a brat in Spain. Of all places, I saw it in Madrid's theater where they actually had 15-min intermissions to go to the bar for snacks and beer :) The first time I saw Conan was there, too. Both movies were made in Spain, so they hold special places in my heart.

~ Shane

Shane, I did not continue doing any work on cars beyond the designing and building of models from age 14 to 18, one model each year. It was very consuming. They were for the competition of the Fisher Body Craftsman’s Guild. I have owned two cars only, as most of my years were on public transportation. As you might guess, they were GM designs. For eleven years, I had a 1984 Fiero. For one year, we have had a Solstice.

1961 and 1966 are very cool! Of the two cars you had, I always wanted a Fiero. Now, I just want one of the new Shellby Mustang Cobras or a '68 Dodge Charger. I'm not picky ;) All in all, I think it's pretty cool to have belonged to an endeavour such as the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild. Gotta love cars!

~ Shane

1961 and 1966 are very cool! Of the two cars you had, I always wanted a Fiero. Now, I just want one of the new Shellby Mustang Cobras or a '68 Dodge Charger. I'm not picky ;) All in all, I think it's pretty cool to have belonged to an endeavour such as the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild. Gotta love cars!

~ Shane

Shane,

Very nice!!! My dad had a '68 Dodge Charger but unfortunately totalled it. He was a huge car buff. My family was into racing. I was born in Mooresville, Indiana; very small town -- one road in and one road out at that time. Of all things, was born in one of John Dillinger's hideouts. Yikes but interesting stories about that house and his involvement with my great great grandmother. :blink:

Anyway, so close to Indianapolis, they all were into racing -- more so my dad -- mainly dragsters. After their band broke up, he no longer pursued much in the music industry, just ocassionally. Instead, he started to build cars and racing cars. Built one I remember well from the ground up this beautiful candy apple red 1978 Chevy Stepside and would only show it. My sneaky ass would get into the car shows, under age, and what started a brief stint of a few years modeling that started there and then branched out into other areas of the modeling industry and realized it just wasn't quite for me for a number of reasons. :huh::o I don't think he knew it though in the beginning and what I was doing but did towards the end. And no doubt got some flack for it as those magazines that the photos were published in got around to those I wasn't quite expecting and man, oh, man, high school changed drastically thereafter for me. Wow, talk about serious flood of memories and may very well trigger some memories that I've been wanting to and trying to dig up so to speak!!!!!

It definitely sounds like you guys would get along well and the car buffs here. LOL

Stephen, thank you for the compliment on my photography stuff!!! Much appreciated!!!

Believe it or not, the music that my family listened to most while I was growing up was by Spike Jones, and I still like him.

Although there is a lot of Spike Jones on YouTube, I couldn't find one of my favorites, so I uploaded it a few minutes ago. This tune, which I listened and laughed to countless times during the 1950s, probably explains why I don't like opera to this day. <_<

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

The "El Cid" number is very, very nice. I haven't seen that one, but I did see the remake with Charlton Heston when I was a brat in Spain. Of all places, I saw it in Madrid's theater where they actually had 15-min intermissions to go to the bar for snacks and beer :) The first time I saw Conan was there, too. Both movies were made in Spain, so they hold special places in my heart.

~ Shane

The music I posted is from the 1961 film starring Charlton Heston, so we must be talking about the same movie. It is one of those high-budget extravaganzas, with a "cast of thousands," that has an overture preceding the film and an intermission. Not a bad flick, actually.

The film also stars Sophia Loren. I was already in lust with Loren, after seeing her in "Boy On a Dolphin" (1957, co-starring Alan Ladd), where she emerges from the water in a translucent shirt (very racy for that period), but I fell madly in love with her after watching "El Cid." The woman just got better looking with age. Amazing.

Ghs

Believe it or not, the music that my family listened to most while I was growing up was by Spike Jones, and I still like him.

Although there is a lot of Spike Jones on YouTube, I couldn't find one of my favorites, so I uploaded it a few minutes ago. This tune, which I listened and laughed to countless times during the 1950s, probably explains why I don't like opera to this day. <_<

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ1NXA4GJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

ROFLMFAO -- I think I've gone deaf.....LOL That is some funny ass shit right there. OMG. Yikes.

ROFLMFAO -- I think I've gone deaf.....LOL That is some funny ass shit right there. OMG. Yikes.

What she said...

George, you're right. I guess I wasn't used to old movies being played at Madrid. But come to think of it, I watched Spartacus there, too (Kirk Douglas was the man!)

~ Shane

Angie,

It'd be hard to top you birthplace ;) It's cool that you were around muscle cars at that age. My dad was a bit of a gearhead. He owned a '72 Cuda that didn't get taken care of when we were in Spain (he had one of my uncles be the caretaker). My younger uncle Marc is in the auto body industry and is always buying auction cars, restoring and selling them. He had this one badass '70 Chevelle SS. Took me and my g/f for a ride in it one time. 4-speed manual that he'd top off with a gallon of JP-4. That thing hauled! Sadly, I own an '02 V6 Mustang. Eventually I plan on squeezing the most hp I can out of it without forced induction. But money is tight, so it's on the back burner for now. But I do love that car...it's been good to me.

I'd be curious if you've got gas in your veins :) What car do you drive now?

~ Shane

Angie,

It'd be hard to top you birthplace ;) It's cool that you were around muscle cars at that age. My dad was a bit of a gearhead. He owned a '72 Cuda that didn't get taken care of when we were in Spain (he had one of my uncles be the caretaker). My younger uncle Marc is in the auto body industry and is always buying auction cars, restoring and selling them. He had this one badass '70 Chevelle SS. Took me and my g/f for a ride in it one time. 4-speed manual that he'd top off with a gallon of JP-4. That thing hauled! Sadly, I own an '02 V6 Mustang. Eventually I plan on squeezing the most hp I can out of it without forced induction. But money is tight, so it's on the back burner for now. But I do love that car...it's been good to me.

I'd be curious if you've got gas in your veins :) What car do you drive now?

~ Shane

My dad also had a '67 Chevelle. Another very nice car but he had a bad habit of going way too fast and totalling his cars. The show truck was absolutely amazing, set up with nitrous ta boot. Sound system in that thing that was bordering on scary. Sound system alone, sponsored though, was $26,000 thereabouts through Alpine at the time. If you sat in that truck and he did his thing with that sound system, you would literally feel your internal organs jumping and vibrating and wasn't turned all the way up. He ALWAYS would play Rush's song Distant Early Warning because of the lyrics and "Red Alert" because that was the name of his truck "Red Alert". LOL Rush has always been a huge aspect of my life and being so young. It's a great song!!!!!! Ayn Rand written all over this song like you wouldn't believe!!!!!!! "World weighs on my shoulders but what am I to do?" ;)

His truck was wicked fast and took us for more than our share of rides. BUT once he really started putting it together, many sponsors, etc., it never saw the road again.

Me and my car, I'm the feasible, economical, nonmaterialistic kinda girl....LOL I have a "little tiny 4" cylinder Camry. GREAT gas MILEAGE!!!!!! LOL You're doing okay with your V6 though. But once I get back into my photography, that'll be changing more than likely, I need a 4 wheel drive, at least V8 because not always easy getting to the places I want to go and that 4 wheel drive comes in handy like you wouldn't believe and 4 bying is a whole lotta fun!!!!

Have many great memories with his truck. I was tiny then of course and the engine was chrome and my hands were the tiniest of everyone's so I was always put in charge of polishing that engine up before shows and being able to get my hands into places that no one else could reach. He would pick me up, clothes had to have no zippers, etc., to prevent scratching, etc., and he would sit me right on top of that engine, gave me what I needed to go to town on the engine and I'd spend hours in there. LOL

Nice song ;) Never really listened to Rush back in the day. There are SO many bands I should listen to. Maybe I'll hang out with Jack Black and learn a thing or two :lol:

When I was stationed in Okinawa, I picked up a Supra Mark III twin turbo. I thought I was getting the 3.0 (that's the only version US put out). I later learned that it was an inline 2.0 six-cylinder. Man, I was pissed. But that got me interested in cars, promising never to go into another purchase without knowing what I was getting. The car was very quick for the engine. I did a few aftermarket upgrades. At night time, I'd just go for a ride with the windows down and play Megadeth's Crush. I had installed a new sound system and this song was what got my blood going at the red lights :)

~ Shane

I'm really enjoying this. We started a bit slow but once we got rolling (and rocking and jazzing and raconteuring), I like this very personal thread more than some of the academic ones. :)

(It's off to Disney World and Epcot today!)

Edited by Philip Coates

Phil,

Thanks for posting this interesting theme.

I have three big loves that began when I was around 11 years old, well four, but I can't talk about the fourth--art, tennis, and food.

Art and food were immediate turn ons that arrived into my consciousness like an explosion.

In downtown La Jolla there was an Italian deli owned and operated by a Sicilian. My first bite of his torpedo sandwich gave me a feeling of an orgasm. Years later I understood that it was all imported stuff from Italy, and the dressing was freshly made from olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, and oregano.

This explosive feeling is one that I continually seek out and support in all my endeavors.

Michael

I saw this only after beginning a new thread, earlier today, on "What are your most-watched movies?"

I'll go back and read this thread in full, and very likely respond in a more abstract way, over more areas of life than just movies and TV series. (And with fewer examples from each medium {g})

For now, though, I'd say that my list of such frequent cinematic pleasures — ten or more viewings each — provides a fairly comprehensive road map of my own passionate interests.