How We Came to What We Love

Philip Coates

It might be a refreshing change of pace for people to write on something autobiographical that is big enough and primary enough for them to have become central to their lives.

Most threads are on intellectual or abstract philosophy-connected topics. And packed with disagreements. It might give us some background on each other and enable us to reach back a bit into the course of our life's passions to write more than a few sentences on how we came to what we love as a major subject (maybe even our career, but at least what field we love to read and think about most).

It's often very satisfying and good introspection to name on paper those things most important to us, where our deepest heart lies. And how that came to be, by fits and by starts, by inches and by stumbles across the decades.

For example, some people are science and technology people. How did you come to love that or pursue it? A great teacher, your parents, a great book? Can you narrow it down a bit further within that sweeping pair of categories as to what topics or subfield within that charms you the most? For others what they love as a subject falls within the humanities - it might be history or literature. Or within those, the Civil War and poetry.

Common to all of us is a strong interest in Rand and philosophy and we've heard about that before, so if we can take that for granted that would avoid having a dozen repeated posts of the ASCML ( Atlas Shrugged Changed My Life) type. :unsure:

Especially interesting would be some concrete detail and chronology on these things (more than a sentence or two)naming names and places. Or hearing from those who have a great passion for something unusual for Objectivists, such as the scientific study of butterflies or woodwork or journalism.

(It almost goes without saying that what would be necessary is that one not criticize or mock someone else's personal choices with regard to what they love or their lifestyle but instead tell us what you love, what stirs -your- heart or sets your mind on fire. Everyone is entitled to their own choices in this area.)

Edited by Philip Coates

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Phil. I've always loved human ability and intelligence and it goes all the way back so I really don't know where it came from. This is still my primary passion. Unfortunately it gives me a masculine bias. It is hard for me to relate to or understand women in that I really have to work at it. But I do appreciate them for the synergy they bring to a relationship and I know it works the other way too.

--Brant

Well, Phil. I've always loved human ability and intelligence and it goes all the way back so I really don't know where it came from. This is still my primary passion. Unfortunately it gives me a masculine bias. It is hard for me to relate to or understand women in that I really have to work at it. But I do appreciate them for the synergy they bring to a relationship and I know it works the other way too.

--Brant

I have a similar feeling regarding some of my core loves -- I mean activities I really love, such as learning. I don't recall a time when I didn't love this and find it hard to even imagine such a time.

--Brant

I have the same problem. I can relate to structured thinking and concepts, but I simply cannot grasp touchy feely too well.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Phil, why not provide a model post? Give us an example of what you’re looking for. Do you really expect someone else to go first, knowing that you’re going to jump down their throat?

Phil, why not provide a model post? Give us an example of what you’re looking for. Do you really expect someone else to go first, knowing that you’re going to jump down their throat?

Good idea.

Phil, why don't you tell us about how you became so passionate about being a prissy schoolmarm? What led you to be so interested in scolding people who are obviously much more intelligent, productive and accomplished than you are? What keeps you so passionate about doing it even though it clearly doesn't work and frequently makes you a laughing stock?

J

Subject: Revealing a Bit Too Much

--Do you really expect someone else to go first, knowing that you’re going to jump down their throat? [ND]

--Why don't you tell us about how you became so passionate about being a prissy schoolmarm? [Jonathan]

Thanks, fellows, for letting readers see what you care most about in life. Your passions and values.

Edited by Philip Coates

Thanks, fellows, for letting readers see what you care most about in life. Your passions and values.

Nothing about passions or values, just a policy of avoiding your efforts at tetrapyloctomy and argument by repetition. In short, sick of you.

> sick of you

You won't participate in an interesting subject because you don't like the person who came up with the idea and made the initial post.

What are you, twelve?

Nothing about passions or values, just a policy of avoiding your efforts at tetrapyloctomy and argument by repetition. In short, sick of you.

Well he's trying to do something different, but he couldn't quite drop the teacher posture. Phil could have simply told his own story, but I suspect he'd have followed it up with a class exercise. The teacher as a leader almost a real world unique formulation although generally extant in the classroom. If I wasn't indifferent to my teachers I wanted to KILL THEM!!!! (Ah, memories--of the way we were!)

--Brant

> sick of you

You won't participate in an interesting subject because you don't like the person who came up with the idea and made the initial post.

What are you, twelve?

Gotta admit, that was a good one!

--Brant

*sighing* Wow, all the fighting....LOL...makes my little drama on the homefront -- have to say kinda nice drama (don't read too much into it because it's probably not what YA'LL are thinking of -- kinda refreshing!!!!!! So many choices and decisions to make -- selfish ones at that and what ta do!!!! I don't frequent OL enough and read enough of all the posts to know how Phil is but DAYAMMM, I take it YA'LL don't like him too much. Yikes. Such the nature of forums. I was thinking about posting something to this thread and who I am, how I came to be, my passions and loves but YIKES now. LOL Wow....QUICK detour over to the other more interesting and fun threads!!! LOL ;) Soon enough!!!!

I get the impression that most on here feel like they've walked into a closet and are now assholes to elbows in each other's business...haha!

Well, I will put a little something on here because I feel I'm good company, despite all the unique personality quirks we find :blink:

I remember hating school. Not for the teachers or the friends...I genuinely liked them. It was the schedule and the rules and getting up early in the morning. I liked learning, but didn't feel attached to any one particular subject. That changed for me my sophomore year in HS. Up until that time, I did well but didn't excel.

I remember hating English. Again, the rules. So many little nuances involved and I've always had a hard time grasping grammar (still do). When I walked in my first day to English we learned that a substitute was going to fill in for the entire year due to the primary teacher having an ill daughter that was going to require full-time attention (she got well, so I hear). Ms. Lind was our substitute. Short in stature with a medium build, she was a bit intimidating. She started out classes given the usual exercises and assignments. Then she gave us a particular one that changed the course of my life: write a short story.

I was always into sci-fi and fantasy. So I started brainstorming a bit and figured I'd write an alien invasionesque story. But I had a twist...show the invasion from their perspective, as if we were passengers watching the drama unfold, not knowing it was Earth the aliens were coming to. The title is Metamorphs of Oblivion. As a nomadic race, they are scavengers of the cosmos. Scouring galaxies for millenia, they have become adept at changing their biologies to suit their needs for hunting and gathering resources after planetfall.

As I continued writing, the ideas flowed and when it came time to turn in my assignment, I knew I was going to get a bad grade. I apologized to Ms. Lind. When asked why, I replied "I don't have a short story. Instead, I have one chapter." I handed over my 30-page text and sat down.

After a couple of days, I was suprised to see an A+ on the top right corner of my work. She pulled me aside after class and told me I had the makings of a writer. Almost every day from that one through the end of my senior year, I sat in the library during my study halls to write. And ever since, I've wanted to become a novelist. That is my one true love...writing. I will pursue it once I retire from the Air Force...when I have ample time.

~ Shane

Edited by sbeaulieu

> Phil could have simply told his own story, but I suspect he'd have followed it up with a class exercise.

Brant, I've already told part of my own story in a series of posts called "Willy and Me" on the Great Literature thread. I'm tired of hearing myself talk -all- the time and I'm genuinely interested in what area people are deeply passionate about.

I don't intend to criticize them, as I said in the very first post. But I don't think that should stop anyone....It's not like you, ND, and Jonathan are going to take anything I have to say seriously anyway, right??? :rolleyes:

I'm very happy at least one person had the courage? introspection? interest? or whatever in the topic to say something: Shane's delightful post was very, very interesting and refreshing. (For me it was also an English teacher who rescued me and turned my life around.)

And the idea for an alien invasion from the aliens' point of view is pure genius! Clever, clever.

Angie.

....Come Back.

. . . . PUH-LEEEZE !!!

Edited by Philip Coates

I get the impression that most on here feel like they've walked into a closet and are now assholes to elbows in each other's business...haha!

Well, I will put a little something on here because I feel I'm good company, despite all the unique personality quirks we find :blink:

I remember hating school. Not for the teachers or the friends...I genuinely liked them. It was the schedule and the rules and getting up early in the morning. I liked learning, but didn't feel attached to any one particular subject. That changed for me my sophomore year in HS. Up until that time, I did well but didn't excel.

I remember hating English. Again, the rules. So many little nuances involved and I've always had a hard time grasping grammar (still do). When I walked in my first day to English we learned that a substitute was going to fill in for the entire year due to the primary teacher having an ill daughter that was going to require full-time attention (she got well, so I hear). Ms. Lind was our substitute. Short in stature with a medium build, she was a bit intimidating. She started out classes given the usual exercises and assignments. Then she gave us a particular one that changed the course of my life: write a short story.

I was always into sci-fi and fantasy. So I started brainstorming a bit and figured I'd write an alien invasionesque story. But I had a twist...show the invasion from their perspective, as if we were passengers watching the drama unfold, not knowing it was Earth the aliens were coming to. The title is Metamorphs of Oblivion. As a nomadic race, they are scavengers of the cosmos. Scouring galaxies for millenia, they have become adept at changing their biologies to suit their needs for hunting and gathering resources after planetfall.

As I continued writing, the ideas flowed and when it came time to turn in my assignment, I knew I was going to get a bad grade. I apologized to Ms. Lind. When asked why, I replied "I don't have a short story. Instead, I have one chapter." I handed over my 30-page text and sat down.

After a couple of days, I was suprised to see an A+ on the top right corner of my work. She pulled me aside after class and told me I had the makings of a writer. Almost every day from that one through the end of my senior year, I sat in the library during my study halls to write. And ever since, I've wanted to become a novelist. That is my one true love...writing. I will pursue it once I retire from the Air Force...when I have ample time.

~ Shane

I like the story. Reminds me a bit of an experience I had in the 8th grade but I'll digress for a bit first. I was never much of a writer, although had a diary that I wrote in every night in detail throughout my childhood, teenage, and partial into my 20s. Talk about some serious space taken up with all of it and storage. I, at times reveled in going through them and reliving parts of my life, choosing a date from so many years ago and reading about what exactly I was doing and experiencing on that date, observing how much I was growing up, my conclusions, etc. But unfortunately, I threw them away. I have very very few regrets in my life and this one is by far my largest regret ever. It would have made for one hell of a memoir if you will....the woman that kept a running diary every single day for 20 years and possibly beyond and what was going on in my life, boyfriends, encounters, drama, and so forth. My intentions when I was writing in them heavily was for them to be buried with me when I passed. I've thought about taking it up again but prying eyes are always around the corner. I can do it in shorthand, as it is my own encrypted writing, but transcribing it would be one hell of a chore. Despite this and documenting my life for many years, writing for others really was never my thing.

BUT you know, thinking more about this and here within the last 3 or 4 weeks, someone has gotten me a bit interested in writing in other arenas though but anyway!!!!

At any rate, I was a closet encyclopedic junkie that loved science of all kinds, my passions and loves still to this day. I always hid my intelligence because it was frowned upon by so many and still is unfortunately. Long road travelled and had my shining moments when it came to what I loved so much and then finally said screw it, it's who I am and no shame in hiding it.

In the 8th grade, science class, although despised my pervert teacher and always told me I was a bimbo and wouldn't amount to anything, blah, blah, blah, WHATEVER, and at one point asked me if my boobs had names (asshole), he introduced a subject for each student to write about at our choosing. I chose to write a piece about the environment, long term effects, the ecosystem, etc., etc. I kept it very concise and to the point. A lot of it I already knew from observations as well as because of my addiction to being a closet encylopedic junkie (literally). I turned the paper in. It was about 10 pages long.

Of course, at that time, I was already beginning to party hard. I despised the school environment so much and the cliques that were there, the group thinking, and so forth. I had attendance problems even then. I very much enjoyed doing things on MY TIME and not that of others and their demands. Not much parental supervision either so did a lot of crazy shit and wayward with no structure, no certainty. When I turned this paper in, I knew it was a great paper because it encompassed one of my passions. I figured he would give me an F because he despised me so much. He despised me even more because I was very very vocal with my opinions and views even in junior high. Got kicked out of more than my share of class rooms because the teachers didn't like the defiance and wouldn't bow to their attempting to strip away my right to freedom of speech.

Two weeks later after turning my paper in, my teacher told me that I had to go to the principal's office. I thought, "What is it now? What else did I do?" I got to the principal's office and she started to talk to me and telling me that they've seen a side of me they had never seen before. I was like, "What the hell are you talking about?" She kept talking a bit and going on how they, my teacher, counselor, admins, (the school), wanted to take me out of "that" school and transfer me into another school down the street. At this point, she took out the paper I had written from my science class. She said, "We've gone over this paper and you have a gift, a gift that can't be ignored. We want to send you to the school down the street for gifted kids. There's a tremendous amount of potential here." I was floored at what I heard. Always, at that time, hiding my intelligence for so long but give me what I love and my passion and it consumes me. BUT I started to think and became fearful of all things because I didn't want to be "labeled" as a nerd, a geek, especially in having to deal with my family because of it. At that time, I was a follower and trying to find who I truly was, what was right and what was wrong for me. She then told me, "In order for us to make this move, we have to inform your parents and get their permission." At that point, I freaked because of how my parents were, especially my father and my sister as well. Whole other story here. She then asked me if it would be okay with me and if I would be willing to go to this other school and for them to inform my parents so they could get the transfer papers going. I couldn't get out of my head at what might possibly go down at home because of it so I told her no. I said thank you and walked out and went back to my class. My destructive path continued until I was about 16 or 17 y/o and dropping out of high school three times before finally seeing what was happening and why. Not just isolated to the school environment.

It's funny because everyone remembers to a degree who their teachers were. For me, I remember who they were but only remember one teacher's name and that was Mr. Peralta. Oh, wait, and Mrs. Sweeney. She was extremely religious and I used God's name in vain in her presence in front of the entire classroom which ticked her off. I didn't believe in God at that time anyway. An argument ensued and I was permanently kicked out of her class. I was in the 9th grade then. You could say I was a bit of a handful growing up and very few teachers liked me. But hey, oh well!!!!!!! :)

I love science and always will, love to learn, love intelligence, love things outside of the box if you will. What I am most passionate about and love the most though is learning from my own firsthand knowledge, understanding, and experience!!!!!! I'm rather stubborn this way to say the least.

Phil and Angie,

Thanks!

Angie, are you still pursuing science? Or are you attacking your passion through photography? Or perhaps science is more of a hobby, hitting all spectrums at whims? I tend to do the latter...looking stuff up as I read or view something and wish to learn more about it.

Sucks how schools build these walls, and then some teachers try to bring them down around non-conformists.

And too bad about your diaries! That would make an interesting read...after you did the editing, of course...haha!

~ Shane

Phil and Angie,

Thanks!

Angie, are you still pursuing science? Or are you attacking your passion through photography? Or perhaps science is more of a hobby, hitting all spectrums at whims? I tend to do the latter...looking stuff up as I read or view something and wish to learn more about it.

Sucks how schools build these walls, and then some teachers try to bring them down around non-conformists.

And too bad about your diaries! That would make an interesting read...after you did the editing, of course...haha!

~ Shane

I still heavily pursue science but in private. Honestly, I've thought very very seriously about going back to college and taking up my passion in many different areas, medicine being a HUGE aspect, seismology, paleontology, archeology, geology, phychology with a specialty in forensics; ie, serial killers. Please don't ask, it's an interesting subject no doubt. Took the deposition of the coroner that did the autopsies on Ron and Nicole I thing is their name. Eek, a bit freaky dicky going into a morgue into the back area where they had on display many many pictures of victims of serial killers, etc., etc. The psychological aspects are intriguing to say the least. Sciences overall, I enjoy very much. Photography is also another HUGE passion of mine but unfortunately haven't had much time for it but hoping to in the near future. I have two sites...one stripped down because I got tired of people ripping off my work and then another one that I started to put together and to sell my work but got sidetracked when I started to have problems on the homefront and had to put it on the backburner for now and the site is in shambles right now, not organized, etc., and just haven't had much time to go through it; plus it makes me miss it too much going through it. But no biggie.

I do have a rather interesting sociological experiment/observation coming up -- well, human sexuality -- sex and women and their preferences, reactions to it, the ripple effect, and so forth. As you know, this is another huge area of interest to me..human sexuality. I've always been able to get people to open up to me and telling me things they normally wouldn't admit to. BUT not only am I setting it up for them, I'm mainly doing it for myself and to have a bit of fun. I set the word out about taking the GIRLS out and possibly two gay men to a BDSM club out here in Hollywood. So far but sure more will be there once word gets out more, I've been able to get 15 very very enthusiastic girls who haven't delved into this aspect of sexuality that are wanting to go, their wanting to go sooner rather than later. They are most intrigued to say the least which already helps to draw some concrete conclusions!!!!!! But I'll see what happens when they are exposed to it and seeing it firsthand and their understanding of it. But can't do it for a couple more weeks to come. I'll drink a bit but no doubt will be observing them quite a bit, body language, how they respond to certain visual stimuli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll see what happens though when they are there but no doubt for my edification!!!!!!!!!! It's not a "sex" club. It's a night club specializing in BDSM so a lot will be going on, dancing, costumes or leather corsets, outfits, etc., and will be most interesting to see who giggles and becomes embarassed but unable to look away versus those that are more overt in their likes and dislikes, aggressive men, D/s (Domination and submission), SM (Sadomasochism) B/D (Bondage and Discipline)!!!! ;) I'll be taking a few of them to The Crypt out in Long Beach soon which is a store specializing in nothing but BDSM. One has already expressed an interest in a Cat O Nine. LOL Nothing like introductions.....LOL But my curiousity is too great at this point.

How long have you been in the air force? What exactly is it that you do?

Truly hoping someone other than us will post something. I would be most interested to hear what makes everyone tick so to speak!!!!!

> Phil could have simply told his own story, but I suspect he'd have followed it up with a class exercise.

Brant, I've already told part of my own story in a series of posts called "Willy and Me" on the Great Literature thread. I'm tired of hearing myself talk -all- the time and I'm genuinely interested in what area people are deeply passionate about.

I don't intend to criticize them, as I said in the very first post. But I don't think that should stop anyone....It's not like you, ND, and Jonathan are going to take anything I have to say seriously anyway, right??? rolleyes.gif

I'm very happy at least one person had the courage? introspection? interest? or whatever in the topic to say something: Shane's delightful post was very, very interesting and refreshing. (For me it was also an English teacher who rescued me and turned my life around.)

And the idea for an alien invasion from the aliens' point of view is pure genius! Clever, clever.

In that case I'd have referenced "Willy and Me" to begin with. I'm not rying to hit you over the head with any of this. I'm actually trying to support your efforts here.

--Brant

Angie, there's a part of what you wrote that brought tears to my eyes: How you thought you were going to the principal's office because the teacher despised you, you would get an F. And instead the whole thing changed and they loved your paper. He'd apparently actually shown it to the principal because of how good it was? And they told you it was excellent and wanted to help you and put you in a better school.

Sometimes the sunlight comes and you weren't even expecting it.

Edited by Philip Coates

Angie, there's a part of what you wrote that brought tears to my eyes: How you thought you were going to the principal's office because the teacher despised you, you would get an F. And instead the whole thing changed and they loved your paper. He'd apparently actually shown it to the principal because of how good it was? And they told you it was excellent and wanted to help you and put you in a better school.

Sometimes the sunlight comes and you weren't even expecting it.

Yes, you are most correct. Thank you, wasn't expecting that from you!!!! Yes, he did show it to the principal. But other areas obviously intervened and I shut them down, in some ways to protect myself. But I did a lot of growing in a short amount of time, moving on, finding out who I was and staying true to myself!!!!!!!!!!!! The thing about it was I was taught to live that way until I finally changed it. When I finally left home and being extremely happy, I set many goals for myself. My determination was fierce. I went back to highschool and finished 4 years in about 6 months and valedictorian on top of it. During this time, I worked a full time job and worked my butt off and saving as much of my money as I could. After getting out of highschool, I took a small break of about two months and then went straight into college. Had many interests but was looking for something that would be relatively quick and would make me good money and I could be self-employed and able to set my own hours so to speak and when I wanted to work, plus I needed to support myself. I ultimately went through the money that I had saved and ultimately took school loans to pay for the remainder of my college days.

How about some more info about yourself? What other passions and loves do you have? What makes you tick so to speak?

To make a quick clarification because I didn't make it clear enough in a prior post, the depo of the coroner was not on that "specific" case. It was the same coroner that did their autopsies but a different case. I was still in college when the whole freaky OJ thing went down.

Another passion and love I have are animals. I am a complete sucker when it comes to animals. I was always one of those kids so long ago that brought home stray cute, cuddly, and furry creatures!!!! LOL

Phil, it's funny that you ask the question that you did and it's truly so overly broad because there are so many loves and passions that I have as well as I am sure others, how I came to them and makes me who I am that stem from my childhood and throughout adulthood. I sit here and think about all the things that I have truly enjoyed and one strange one perhaps for others is that of beading. I have Cherokee Indian in me and this was something that my grandmother, now deceased unfortunately, had gotten me into when I was very young. She even gave me a name which I don't remember unfortunately. I stopped doing it but picked it up again in my 20s for quite a while but have since stopped. I've thought about taking it up again just as a hobby, nothing serious, etc., as it is quite fun and addicting to play around with. :)

How long have you been in the air force? What exactly is it that you do?

I enlisted back in '93. I had been accepted twice to University of Nebraska Lincoln to their English program. Full-time jobs were nowhere to be found, and because of a paperwork error I was unable to get a loan to go there. My dreams were dashed. And so, into the Air Force I went.

The work I do for the Air Force is communications, troubleshooting specifically. I started in tactical comm, then moved to long-haul voice and data circuits, and thankfully landed in networking. I've been doing that since '97 and haven't looked back. I've built deployed networks and did a four-year stint as an instructor teaching protocol analysis (very geeky stuff...especially when you can read data packets in hex!). For the past couple years, I've been the computer guy for my directorate, so now I'm somewhat computer savvy. I came into this job so that I'd have a marketable trade that I could always lean on. In 3 or so years, I'll retire and try to find work or make my own. Somewhere in there, I'll set down roots and get to writing.

Interesting subject about forensics! I love those types of shows. Dr. G is the bomb and I appreciate her all the more since she is a human troubleshooter :)

~ Shane

What are you, twelve?

It’s awfully funny the way you put this, how would it apply to Lindsay Perigo? Or Diana Hsieh? Avoided by many, because people “don’t like” them. Which leads to the question that’s actually relevant: why don’t people like them? I expect you to provide three reasons for each example, and no empiricism or rationalism allowed. I demand objective reasoning. And if you don’t include “observed patterns of behavior” in your answer, you’re going to flunk.

As to the numbering, there hasn’t been a twelve yet, unless you count the non-canonical Comic Relief episode. However, eleven has recently made his debut:

I made a sound suggestion about how to keep this thread from dying. It turns out to have worked, though I believe the contributions have been offered more in a spirit of pity than interest inspired by your original request. And so far you’ve been laudably congenial towards the offerings, I credit this as resulting from behavior modification achieved by yours truly. He shoots he scores! Goal for the Doctor, credit Jonathan with the assist. We’ll see how long it lasts.