A nice illusion

This is a great illusion. Even when I know how it works, I can't escape the illusion when seen from the right viewpoint. No matter how I try to impose my knowledge on the image, I still see balls running uphill against the gravitational force, a good illustration how a perception can be involuntary and wrong. In that way it's similar to the perception of moon craters as convex domes that I've mentioned in earlier posts.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is a great illusion. Even when I know how it works, I can't escape the illusion when seen from the right viewpoint. No matter how I try to impose my knowledge on the image, I still see balls running uphill against the gravitational force, a good illustration how a perception can be involuntary and wrong. In that way it's similar to the perception of moon craters as convex domes that I've mentioned in earlier posts.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice illusion. It is like the Ames Room. Even after you know how it works, you cannot help but see the illusion as an illusion. Knowing does not make it go away.

Ba'al Chatzaf

In that way it's similar to the perception of moon craters as convex domes that I've mentioned in earlier posts.

You mean, the domes are illusions?

Damn. I was hoping, you know...

I will bet one can get a hole in -1 at the golf course near the Hill.

Ba'al Chatzaf