Justice Elena Kagan

syrakusos

Elena Kagan was confirmed as the 45th Solicitor General of the United States in March 2009. Prior to her confirmation, Elena Kagan was the Charles Hamilton Houston Professor of Law.

The task of the Office of the Solicitor General is to supervise and conduct government litigation in the United States Supreme Court. Virtually all such litigation is channeled through the Office of the Solicitor General and is actively conducted by the Office. The United States is involved in approximately two-thirds of all the cases the U.S. Supreme Court decides on the merits each year.

http://www.justice.gov/osg/

The Supreme Court has a way of making conservatives into liberals and vice versa. As I see it, justices come to the court with expectations born of ideology and the reality of new challenges forces them to apply those standards. In so doing, they discover new truths. The John Birch Society tried to make much of Earl Warren's tenure as governor of California. I think that neither Warren nor the Court nor the JBS had any idea of how the future was about to immediately unfold.

For me, perhaps the greatest jurist was not Oliver Wendell Holmes or John Marshall or Roger Taney. It was John Marshall Harlan, the Great Dissenter. You never know where that person will come from.

"... With the Whig Party's dissolution in the early 1850s, he shifted his affiliation to the Know-Nothings ... Harlan campaigned for Democrat George McClellan in the 1864 presidential election and ... Though considered for a number of positions in the new administration, most notably for Attorney General, initially the only job Harlan was offered was as a member of a commission sent to Louisiana to resolved disputed statewide elections there. Justice David Davis, however, had resigned from the Supreme Court in January 1877 after being selected as a United States Senator by the Illinois General Assembly. Seeking a replacement, Hayes settled on Harlan... "

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Marshall_Harlan)

Elena Kagan was confirmed as the 45th Solicitor General of the United States in March 2009. Prior to her confirmation, Elena Kagan was the Charles Hamilton Houston Professor of Law.

The task of the Office of the Solicitor General is to supervise and conduct government litigation in the United States Supreme Court. Virtually all such litigation is channeled through the Office of the Solicitor General and is actively conducted by the Office. The United States is involved in approximately two-thirds of all the cases the U.S. Supreme Court decides on the merits each year.

http://www.justice.gov/osg/

The Supreme Court has a way of making conservatives into liberals and vice versa. As I see it, justices come to the court with expectations born of ideology and the reality of new challenges forces them to apply those standards. In so doing, they discover new truths. The John Birch Society tried to make much of Earl Warren's tenure as governor of California. I think that neither Warren nor the Court nor the JBS had any idea of how the future was about to immediately unfold.

For me, perhaps the greatest jurist was not Oliver Wendell Holmes or John Marshall or Roger Taney. It was John Marshall Harlan, the Great Dissenter. You never know where that person will come from.

"... With the Whig Party's dissolution in the early 1850s, he shifted his affiliation to the Know-Nothings ... Harlan campaigned for Democrat George McClellan in the 1864 presidential election and ... Though considered for a number of positions in the new administration, most notably for Attorney General, initially the only job Harlan was offered was as a member of a commission sent to Louisiana to resolved disputed statewide elections there. Justice David Davis, however, had resigned from the Supreme Court in January 1877 after being selected as a United States Senator by the Illinois General Assembly. Seeking a replacement, Hayes settled on Harlan... "

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Marshall_Harlan)

I'm not going hold my breath on Kagan changing.

Harlan was a very great Justice but Marshall was much more important. I think the adroitness Marshall displayed in Marbury v. Madison is brilliant.