nicholasair

How could Ayn rand smoke?

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I remember Rand's lecture on "60 Minutes" and she actually said we should be so honored and thankful we should kiss a smoke stack.

...thankful for the life expectancy and quality of life improvements attributable to the industrial revolution.

Her attitude here was perfect. There are benefits on one side and there are expected costs and unknown risks on the other side. That one was a huge win, the benefits far, far outstrip the costs and risks that were assumed.

Giving the costs a kiss is a subtle, sophisticated gesture.

Just now, Jon Letendre said:

...thankful for the life expectancy and quality of life improvements attributable to the industrial revolution.

Her attitude here was perfect. There are benefits on one side and there are expected costs and unknown risks on the other side. That one was a huge win, the benefits far, far outstrip the costs and risks that were assumed.

Giving the costs a kiss is a subtle, sophisticated gesture.

She was being naughty. 

3 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Your final lines are so poetic. Not riding would be immoral, now!

Jon,

"That seagull soon found out who was boss."

LOL...

:) 

(I guess it's not funny to the seagull, though... :) )

Michael

3 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

I used to skydive, loved it!  My son did a jump last year from 13500 feet 😊

I jumped just once in my live  (about 25 years ago).  My reason for jumping was to test, first hand, Einstein's assertion, that gravity is NOT a force.  I jumped for for about 5 seconds I felt nothing pulling me down. Then of course my speed picked up and I felt the air resistance and that was the only force on my body.  No tug, no pull toward the earth.  It seemed that the earth was moving toward me.  Einstein was right. I was happy to prove to myself Einstein was right and I never jumped again.  My jump was from 9500 feet.  Once was enough.,