How could Ayn rand smoke?

nicholasair

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I remember Rand's lecture on "60 Minutes" and she actually said we should be so honored and thankful we should kiss a smoke stack.

...thankful for the life expectancy and quality of life improvements attributable to the industrial revolution.

Her attitude here was perfect. There are benefits on one side and there are expected costs and unknown risks on the other side. That one was a huge win, the benefits far, far outstrip the costs and risks that were assumed.

Giving the costs a kiss is a subtle, sophisticated gesture.

Just now, Jon Letendre said:

...thankful for the life expectancy and quality of life improvements attributable to the industrial revolution.

Her attitude here was perfect. There are benefits on one side and there are expected costs and unknown risks on the other side. That one was a huge win, the benefits far, far outstrip the costs and risks that were assumed.

Giving the costs a kiss is a subtle, sophisticated gesture.

She was being naughty. 

3 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

I used to skydive, loved it!  My son did a jump last year from 13500 feet ?

I jumped just once in my live  (about 25 years ago).  My reason for jumping was to test, first hand, Einstein's assertion, that gravity is NOT a force.  I jumped for for about 5 seconds I felt nothing pulling me down. Then of course my speed picked up and I felt the air resistance and that was the only force on my body.  No tug, no pull toward the earth.  It seemed that the earth was moving toward me.  Einstein was right. I was happy to prove to myself Einstein was right and I never jumped again.  My jump was from 9500 feet.  Once was enough.,

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, BaalChatzaf said:

I jumped just once in my live  (about 25 years ago).  My reason for jumping was to test, first hand, Einstein's assertion, that gravity is NOT a force.  I jumped for for about 5 seconds I felt nothing pulling me down. Then of course my speed picked up and I felt the air resistance and that was the only force on my body.  No tug, no pull toward the earth.  It seemed that the earth was moving toward me.  Einstein was right. I was happy to prove to myself Einstein was right and I never jumped again.  My jump was from 9500 feet.  Once was enough.,

Your next goal should be going up to resupply the Space Shuttle or is MIR still up there? As for jumping out of an airplane, Never is enough. I would pee my pants. Oh, and add rock climbing / clinging to my do not do list, and seeing how fast your new car can accelerate. I tried that with my Chevy Malibu years ago and blew a gasket. But the car lasted 16 years after that I think.  Now I drive an older Mercury Marquis and though it is a big car, it is pretty fine, but harder to park.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, Peter said:

Your next goal should be going up to resupply the Space Shuttle or is MIR still up there? As for jumping out of an airplane, Never is enough. I would pee my pants. Oh, and add rock climbing / clinging to my do not do list, and seeing how fast your new car can accelerate. I tried that with my Chevy Malibu years ago and blew a gasket. But the car lasted 16 years after that I think.  Now I drive an older Mercury Marquis and though it is a big car, it is pretty fine, but harder to park.

I am not physically fet for orbital flight.  I live that to the professionals.

10 hours ago, jts said:

Stephen Hawking was physically fit for going to outer space. And you are not?

Hawking was cargo.  If I were to go up, I expect to work on the flight.  My flying days are over. I have a solo licence to fly soaring planes (aka gliders) but  I no longer have the reflexes to be a first rate pilot any more so if I go off the ground, I go as a passenger.  In an emergency I could still pilot a plane but I would rather leave that you people who are younger and more fit.