A really funny lawyer joke--

Roger Bissell

The United Way realized that it had never received a donation from the city's most successful lawyer. So a United Way volunteer paid the lawyer a visit in his lavish office.

The volunteer opened the meeting by saying, "Our research shows that even though your annual income is over two million dollars, you don't give a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give something back to your community through the United Way?"

The lawyer thinks for a minute and says, "First, did your research also show you that my mother is dying after a long, painful illness and she has huge medical bills that are far beyond her ability to pay?"

Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbles, "Uh... no, I didn't know that."

"Secondly," says the lawyer, "my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair and is unable to support his wife and six children."

The stricken United Way rep begins to stammer an apology, but is cut off again.

"Thirdly, did your research also show you that my sister's husband died in dreadful car accident, leaving her penniless with a mortgage and three children, one of whom is disabled and other that has learning disabilities requiring an array of private tutors?"

The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, says, "I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

And the lawyer says, "So...if I didn't give any money to them, what makes you think I'd give any to you?"

Funny, but sick.

Incidentally, the most philanthropic people are often those with the largest income. So much for the rich being evil!

It takes a lot of individual blades in a grass-roots movement to produce just a little bit of ground mulch. But a big and well-fed dog can produce far more fertilizer repeatedly. The point: if you want something new to grow, perhaps you need to redefine what's shit.

Of course, everyone overlooks the 'catch phrase' - giving back... this is not a 'zero-sum' world - so what was taken that needs be given back?

[and yes, the joke was very funny - just what was needed to brighten up a rainy morning... :lol: ]

Edited by anonrobt

Even lonelier than I thought. Isn't loneliness one of the 325 pillars of a Randian hero? Or just one of many consequences such as going to prison for blowing up buildings or raping the daughter of an architect?

--Brant

just feeling my way here, groan--maybe I should try mediocrity (as long as I don't find out trying isn't necessary)