Working on writing a book.

Summer

I can't go into details about the novel itself but I can specify a particular step I am attempting right now.

The story takes place in the future, roughly 2049. I've already made note of technological innovations but could use a little assistance regarding the decline of businesses up to this point. Government starts to interfere, which results in the conflict addressed at the start of the book.

I was hoping for some interesting examples of politics getting in the way and even making companies go out of business by means of taxation, regulation, etc.

If you could create hypothetic scenarios - IE: Assume you are running a business of your own. Explain what the government does to keep you from excelling in this - I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

I was hoping for some interesting examples of politics getting in the way and even making companies go out of business by means of taxation, regulation, etc.

I suggest you watch some John Stossel programs, try YouTube.

I will look into them.

Edited by Summer

I will look into them.

Summer:

I will have some this weekend. I have been thinking about your inquiry, but I will have the time this weekend. I know I have at least fifty (50) or so, but I am seeking the ones that are larger and more dramatic. Kinda to fit the scope of your book.

Adam

Two letters...GM.

I can dig more for specifics. That's pretty recent and I'm sure there are shockwaves still being felt at General Motors.

~ Shane

• 2 months later...

There is a dandy little piece of freeware you can use called "Storybook." Just search it up and see if you like it. The text import functions are a little funk, and it won't do pictures, but it is a great way of outlining and organizing your novel. You can run strands, character notes, unassigned chapters, all that fun. I think it also helps you think more in terms of writing treatments, even for novels or other books. It reminds you to work on the elevator pitch.

Keep at it!

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

• 4 months later...

I can't go into details about the novel itself but I can specify a particular step I am attempting right now.

The story takes place in the future, roughly 2049. I've already made note of technological innovations but could use a little assistance regarding the decline of businesses up to this point. Government starts to interfere, which results in the conflict addressed at the start of the book.

If you could create hypothetic scenarios - IE: Assume you are running a business of your own. Explain what the government does to keep you from excelling in this - I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

2049? Government starts to interfere? If you want to see the start go back to Lincoln or Wilson or the establishment of the Interstate Commerce Commission.

I would suggest you get the history of your subject solid. It is already 2049. At the rate we are going, it will be 2012 before we know it.

Good luck on your book.

Ba'al Chatzaf