Server MySQL trouble

I couldn't access OL at all for some time. Now I can login again, but it's still not without problems, as I have to login every time I link to OL (instead of automatically logging in). Further the "new content" function doesn't work well, if I've read some message, the next time I access that page, it's again marked as unread, with the result that I read many times the same message, every time thinking there is a new one.

When I tried to preview this message, I was prompted to log in again. Fortunately I had saved the text so I could copy it and try again, and now I do see the preview. Now I hope that posting also will work...

I couldn't access OL at all for most of the day. Either my browser couldn't find it, or I got a Database Error message.

Since the site came back up, I haven't had the login problems that Dragonfly described.

So far, so good...

Robert Campbell

Can't get to the site even now using the url.

The only way I was able to get here is thru the 'cache' function....so this post may or may not go through.

Edited by Philip Coates

Seems fine to me. Funny about MySQL, I have been using it for years and it has never crashed, although I have screwed up databases myself several times. :) It could have been something the admins were doing to the server and not the software.

It is still slow.

My heavens, do you realize how paranoid Ms. Xray is going to be!

Michael, I think you will have to provide her with "rollover posts"...

Thank God that Phil got through, otherwise he would have believed that I colluded with the electronic fairies.....to exclude him

Fairies3.gif

Fairies.gif

Adam

Wand.gifthis wand shows the way to the mushroom patches...

Edited by Selene

It is still slow.

Me, paranoid?

I pointed out all along that there are problems, like e. g. flaws in a software which can't distinguish between an edit and a post. Which wrongly lists "today's" top posters with posts comprising those of yesterday. Which gives a limited poster messages like "You can make five more posts today", while the poster's 'today' count is already filled with four. And so on.

There is no need to go into all this again; other posters have complaints as well. See for example Jeffrey Smith's post. # 6 (Portal is suddenly empty):

JS: Problem is back again, and now affects the threads.

Clearing cookies has no effect, other than to make me sign back in again.

Selene: Michael, I think you will have to provide her with "rollover posts"...

What are "rollover posts"?

Edited by Xray

Still not working... Each time type in url, the normal way to use internet, it gives an 'apache' page instead or OL and suggests sending an email to your web administrator. Still can only access a 'cache' - an old version of the site.

> Thank God that Phil got through, otherwise he would have believed that I colluded with the electronic fairies.....to exclude him

I would never have thought that, Adam. You're not that bright. :rolleyes:

Still not working... Each time type in url, the normal way to use internet, it gives an 'apache' page instead or OL and suggests sending an email to your web administrator. Still can only access a 'cache' - an old version of the site.

Phil, I hardly ever type in the url - it's time consuming and prone to errors. Once I get to a url and I want to keep it just bookmark the page and use that link every subsequent time. The bookmark I use for OL is this. This automatically takes me to the New Content page.

Phil should take an example from Barbara. When she mentioned a problem with the quote function, I indicated how she could circumvent it. Shortly thereafter Barbara posted a message with a perfect quote. See here. (The format of the quote function has changed somewhat in the meantime, the name of the quoted person should now be given as

, if you quote the Devil).

"Rollover posts" are posts not used previously. If Xray posts twice today she'd have three left over and could post eight tomorrow. It's a takeoff on the AT&T ads for "rollover minutes" for cell phone usage here in the States.

--Brant

let her eat posting cake!

Ms. Xray:

This is what is known as humour [context]. You would actually have to understand that I was joking to not have to answer it the way you did.

It is still slow.

Me, paranoid?

I pointed out all along that there are problems, like e. g. flaws in a software which can't distinguish between an edit and a post. Which wrongly lists "today's" top posters with posts comprising those of yesterday. Which gives a limited poster messages like "You can make five more posts today", while the poster's 'today' count is already filled with four. And so on.

There is no need to go into all this again; other posters have complaints as well. See for example Jeffrey Smith's post. # 6 (Portal is suddenly empty):

Adam

Edited by Selene

Another spot of MySQL trouble, a couple of hours ago...

Mercifully, it was brief.

I now see three choices — HTML Off and HTML On with two line feed options — when I compose or edit a post.

I'm assuming these are new?

I was getting some hinky behavior out of the site's editor the last few days when copying and pasting from Word files (such as spaces between words disappearing, roughly once per line). I thought this might have something to do with my frequent use of Google Chrome as a browser, but maybe it has been fixed now... Time to try another quotation or two from Rand's Q&A sessions.

Robert Campbell

Michael,

Thanks. I do see the same choices when configuring post options.

The same hinky stuff is still happening when I copy and paste into the editor from Word: 3 or 4 blank lines between paragraphs (or paragraphs run together); spaces between words removed about once per line, etc.

It doesn't matter whether I choose HTML Off or HTML On—Raw line feeds. (If I pick HTML—Automatic line feeds it kills all the formatting in the pasted material...)

I can fix these glitches easily enough with further editing, but it wasn't happening a couple of weeks ago when I was already using Google Chrome.

Robert Campbell

I still have some problems with the site, but I've probably also problems with my computer, which makes it even more confusing. Just when OL was down for a time, I suddenly could no longer login on a number of other sites as well. After a lot of tweaking I decided to refresh my C drive by restoring an image that was 2 years old (when everything was working fine). That has the same effect as formatting C and installing windows new, only this takes only 2 minutes. Some of the problems disappeared: I now no longer have to login on OL every few minutes (that was really exasperating), but automatic login still doesn't work. Not only on OL but also on other sites (like Amazon and some other forums). On some other forums I still can no longer login and in some forums I now get some kind of time-out after logging in, that is fortunately longer than a few minutes, but a few days ago I could stay logged in for a whole day if I wanted. Normally I use Opera, but when I try IE the results are the same, installing a new version of Opera doesn't help either. When I use my old computer (on the same modem) I can login on some sites that I can't access with my newer computer, but on other sites I have the same problems. If that isn't definite proof that we're living in a malevolent universe, I don't know what is!

Back to OL: when I use "View New Content", read a new message and refresh the screen, that new message has disappeared. That is logical, but what is not logical is that there are still a lot of other messages in that list that I've read already but that still come up in that list, even with a icon that indicates that it is an unread message. When I read such a message again and immediately refresh the screen (back to the list and F5 or clicking again on "View New Content"), the message sometimes disappears from the list and sometimes only the "unread"-icon disappears. I can't make head or tail of it, it seems to work completely random.

Oh shit, I wanted to preview this message and I had to login again, while I thought that that problem was over now. The universe is very malevolent.

I still have some problems with the site, but I've probably also problems with my computer, which makes it even more confusing. Just when OL was down for a time, I suddenly could no longer login on a number of other sites as well. After a lot of tweaking I decided to refresh my C drive by restoring an image that was 2 years old (when everything was working fine). That has the same effect as formatting C and installing windows new, only this takes only 2 minutes. Some of the problems disappeared: I now no longer have to login on OL every few minutes (that was really exasperating), but automatic login still doesn't work. Not only on OL but also on other sites (like Amazon and some other forums). On some other forums I still can no longer login and in some forums I now get some kind of time-out after logging in, that is fortunately longer than a few minutes, but a few days ago I could stay logged in for a whole day if I wanted. Normally I use Opera, but when I try IE the results are the same, installing a new version of Opera doesn't help either. When I use my old computer (on the same modem) I can login on some sites that I can't access with my newer computer, but on other sites I have the same problems. If that isn't definite proof that we're living in a malevolent universe, I don't know what is!

Back to OL: when I use "View New Content", read a new message and refresh the screen, that new message has disappeared. That is logical, but what is not logical is that there are still a lot of other messages in that list that I've read already but that still come up in that list, even with a icon that indicates that it is an unread message. When I read such a message again and immediately refresh the screen (back to the list and F5 or clicking again on "View New Content"), the message sometimes disappears from the list and sometimes only the "unread"-icon disappears. I can't make head or tail of it, it seems to work completely random.

Oh shit, I wanted to preview this message and I had to login again, while I thought that that problem was over now. The universe is very malevolent.

Wow, that's some ****ed up PC your using! LOL. You aren't running out of memory by any chance?

Wow, that's some ****ed up PC your using! LOL. You aren't running out of memory by any chance?

I don't think so, I've more than 3 Gb memory and I have no big programs running. Off-line everything works perfectly. On the Internet too, as long as I don't have to login somewhere. Downloading big files is no problem for example, everything works fast. The point is that I have no idea where the problem lies.

I don't think so, I've more than 3 Gb memory and I have no big programs running. Off-line everything works perfectly. On the Internet too, as long as I don't have to login somewhere. Downloading big files is no problem for example, everything works fast. The point is that I have no idea where the problem lies.

So what O/S are you using? I have never heard of such a thing. You say it the same with Opera and IE? Have you tried Firefox as well? Maybe it's some spyware, adware, or something.

So what O/S are you using? I have never heard of such a thing. You say it the same with Opera and IE? Have you tried Firefox as well? Maybe it's some spyware, adware, or something.

I use XP on the newer computer and W2000 on the older one. The strange thing is that the older computer does have some of the same problems, while it has no problems with some other sites were I can't login with the newer computer. If everything worked fine on the older computer, you could conclude that there is something wrong with the newer computer, but it seems as if some factors are internal and other external. Of course I've checked for spyware etc., but without results. Resetting the system disk on the newer computer also solved some of the problems, but in most cases there was no difference. Even the repeated logging in on OL seems to return, while I was at first glad that that had been solved (it's not yet as bad as it was first, when I was continuously logged out after a few minutes, but it's there).

> I hardly ever type in the url - it's time consuming and prone to errors [GS]

I don't really type in the whole thing...just type in the letter O or OB and then click on this site. Much fewer keystrokes and clicker than a bookmark.

> I hardly ever type in the url - it's time consuming and prone to errors [GS]

I don't really type in the whole thing...just type in the letter O or OB and then click on this site. Much fewer keystrokes and

clicker than a bookmark.

Phil:

"...clicker than a bookmark."

Did you mean "quicker"?

Adam

Michael--as counterpoint to the kvetching here, let me report that since the server came back up, the problems about which I was complaining a few days ago have vanished, and the site seems back to normal.

Dragonfly--I think repeated logging out indicates a connectivity problem (timing out, probably), which may be with your ISP.

Jeffrey S.