Gays in the military

Peter

Yes, this is most excellent news. I wonder what the text of the law says. I hope it is a simple repeal of don't ask don't tell instead of a new level of regulation - if anyone gets a copy of of the law or a link to the text please post it.

You can look up bills on the US Senate site, which returns results at the Library of Congress site.

Full text PDF link: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111s4023pcs/pdf/BILLS-111s4023pcs.pdf

Looks fairly straightforward. No earmarks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it rather illogical that the military folk object to homosexuals in the combat forces. The greatest warriors in the world (relative to the weapon technology) were the Spartans. In the Spartan barracks culture bonding was built upon homosexual relationships and warring comrades fought all the more fiercely to defend not only their comrades but their lovers. This was also true in the Athenian and Corinthian hoplite corps. If homosexuals were some of the worlds greatest hoplites, I don't see why it would not work in modern times.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I think the air force has been the most gay-tolerant branch of the military. A former enlisted man 30 years ago told me the enlisted ranks were about 1/3 gay. In the army in the mid-1960s we were generally oblivious to homosexuality in the ranks, but looking back I became aware that there were some gays concentrated in the medical corps. Regardless, there were a lot of thugs in Special Forces, especially in the junior training ranks, and nobody was going to risk getting the shit beat out of them. Back then young men tended to be very ignorant about sexual matters. Today with the Internet any ten yo can easily know more about the subject than I did even into my early 20s. Barry Goldwater had the best attitude: The Commander-in-Chief orders the brass to accept the gays. Instead they passed the DADT law.

--Brant

I wonder if the military will be installing private shower stalls, particularly at basic training posts.

I wonder if the military will be installing private shower stalls, particularly at basic training posts.

Why do you wonder?

-- Brant

Because I can & it interests me.

Edited by Las Vegas

Why do you wonder?

-- Brant

Because I can & it interests me.

I'll leave you to wonder. How that will help your interest is beyond me.

--Brant

Barry Goldwater had the best attitude: The Commander-in-Chief orders the brass to accept the gays. Instead they passed the DADT law.

Brant,

Absolutely.

If Bill Clinton hadn't chickened out, he could have ordered the military to accept gay soldiers 17 years ago. That would have been the end of it.

Instead, this hypocritical policy was adopted.

I'm glad to see it finally making its exit.

Robert Campbell

Yes, this is most excellent news. I wonder what the text of the law says. I hope it is a simple repeal of don't ask don't tell instead of a new level of regulation - if anyone gets a copy of of the law or a link to the text please post it.

You can look up bills on the US Senate site, which returns results at the Library of Congress site.

Full text PDF link: http://www.gpo.gov/f...111s4023pcs.pdf

What a wonderful model for the repeal of socialized medicine.

Full text PDF link: http://www.gpo.gov/f...111s4023pcs.pdf

What a wonderful model for the repeal of socialized medicine.

Yep.

And only five (5) pages! Just think, we could singlehandedly eliminate global warming by eliminating those 2,800 page bills! Oops, damn, I forgot that is another marxist myth! Oh well. At least we can save some trees and they are green energy and renewable resources so that will comply with the loons on the left.

I have a lot of house guests, but my current one is close to heart in his own way. He is a humble man, a decorated war veteran. One of the guys they dug up at Hamburger Hill. I know how he would respond to this topic, were he to at all. He would pretty much just say that bullets don't discriminate.

Feeling that?

rde

I'm somewhat neutral about this.

1. I can envision certain circumstances - such as on a submarine - where someone announcing his homosexual orientation in a rather determined manner might create a problem.

2. Based on the way things proceed in our country is the military going to start giving mandatory "diversity training" to people who don't approve of homosexuality?

-Neil Parille

I'm somewhat neutral about this.

1. I can envision certain circumstances - such as on a submarine - where someone announcing his homosexual orientation in a rather determined manner might create a problem.

As opposed to 'determined announcements of heterosexuality' toward members of the opposite sex? Or a submariner who marches around deck chanting "I'm great, I'm straight, get used to it"?

Read the text of the law and the one it repeals. The only effect is to end the policy of firing people for the mere fact of their sexual orientation. Inappropriate behavior remains inappropriate behavior. Any behavior which would be inappropriate in a heterosexual context will still be inappropriate in a homosexual context.

Ted,

I haven't read the law. My point is the way that anti-discrimination laws are used often go beyond their stated intent. Who would have thought that the 1964 Civil Rights Act would be used to mandate quotas and affirmative action?

-Neil Parille

Ted,

I haven't read the law. My point is the way that anti-discrimination laws are used often go beyond their stated intent. Who would have thought that the 1964 Civil Rights Act would be used to mandate quotas and affirmative action?

-Neil Parille

My first response upon hearing of the repeal was "thank god they have finally done something right" followed by an immediate overwhelming terror that the law would indeed establish all sorts of regulations, privileges, quotas, and other nonsense. But it does not. Read the text of the repeal. WSS posted a link to it above.

- Oh my, I'm Bi. Get used to it!

Based on the way things proceed in our country is the military going to start giving mandatory "diversity training" to people who don't approve of homosexuality?

Neil,

"Diversity training," "sensitivity training," and the rest of the breed are an abomination wherever carried out.

"Diversity trainers," so far as I can determine, are people who've been given a license to traffic in stereotypes.

Under our present system, vigilance is definitely called for.

Robert Campbell

Straight Troops must shower with Gays

http://www.cnsnews.c...-prohibit-heter

Yeah, up until now homosexuals couldn't even actually visually perceive straight people without permission.

Not even to mention the problem with them niggers using the same silverware as everyone else.

I assume you must be in your eighties, or a m*slim? (Picturing your wrinkled, burqa-wearing ass in my imagination.)

Just remember i

. . .

8e15a4fe.jpg

. . . Where is Rich Engle when you need him?

Edited by Ted Keer

Straight Troops must shower with Gays

http://www.cnsnews.c...-prohibit-heter

Yeah, up until now homosexuals couldn't even actually visually perceive straight people without permission.

Not even to mention the problem with them niggers using the same silverware as everyone else.

I assume you must be in your eighties, or a m*slim? (Picturing your wrinkled, burqa-wearing ass in my imagination.)

Just remember i

. . .

8e15a4fe.jpg

. . . Where is Rich Engle when you need him?

Don't assume anything. You know nothing of my position regarding the topic.

If you need to expel your verbal diarrhea do it in private and spare us all the rancid odor. Where is the Glade when you need it?

Here's a point out of left field, if the draft were reinstituted, the ban on gays would serve as a kind of "get out of jail free" card, certainly easier than fleeing to Canada or shooting yourself in the foot. I read somewhere that the acid-rock king Jimi Hendrix got out of the military that way.

Didn't used to work, but Alice's Restaurant still rings in my ears!

I was not aware of Hendricks getting out that way.

Adam

Post Script: The source is the Daily Kos so you are on your own!

Jimi Hendrix: The Original Chickenhawk?

by Armando

16x16-digg-guy.gif Share this on Twitter - Jimi Hendrix: The Original Chickenhawk?twitter.png spreddit1.gif share-icon-16x16.png

Sun Jul 31, 2005 at 04:12:55 PM PST

Here's a strange story:

Rock legend Jimi Hendrix pretended he was gay to get out of the US Army, a new biography reveals . . . Hendrix's subterfuge, contained in his military medical records, is revealed for the first time in Charles Cross's biography, Room Full Of Mirrors. . . . Contrary to his later image,
Hendrix was an avowed anti-communist who exhibited little unease about the escalating US role in Vietnam
. He just wanted to escape the Army to play music . . . he had enlisted to avoid jail time after being repeatedly arrested in stolen cars in Seattle, his home town.

Jimi just wanted to play his music. Jonah just wants to "play" his keyboard.

Anyway, at least it was more colorful (Purple? Heh.) than Rush's "football injury."

I suppose that explains "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy."

Listen guys and listen gals: Men in battle love each other when there is nothing left to do. Garrison duty is shit. This doesn't mean sex. Sex is above and beyond that or aside from that.

A story I don't know is true but I surely think it is since I've been there: A new Lt. comes to his line combat unit in Vietnam. Two men trade off doing point duty. At night they sleep together. The Lt. is smart. He doesn't say anything. The men in this unit don't say anything. The lovers pull point in the daytime and make love at night.

Make love and war. Happens all the time.

Here's what will develop: two men in the shower make love to each other and the other men in the unit will know what is happening and stop you from stopping it or your ass is grass and they be the lawn-mowers. This is called unit cohesion.

--Brant

read my profile; I put in it what I did so I'd've some credibility on these military things

Listen guys and listen gals: Men in battle love each other when there is nothing left to do. Garrison duty is shit. This doesn't mean sex. Sex is above and beyond that or aside from that.

A story I don't know is true but I surely think it is since I've been there: A new Lt. comes to his line combat unit in Vietnam. Two men trade off doing point duty. At night they sleep together. The Lt. is smart. He doesn't say anything. The men in this unit don't say anything. The lovers pull point in the daytime and make love at night.

Make love and war. Happens all the time.

Here's what will develop: two men in the shower make love to each other and the other men in the unit will know what is happening and stop you from stopping it or your ass is grass and they be the lawn-mowers. This is called unit cohesion.

--Brant

read my profile; I put in it what I did so I'd've some credibility on these military things

This isn't Madness, this is Sparta! Sparta lives!

Ba'al Chatzaf

This isn't Madness, this is Sparta! Sparta lives!

Not quite. The men in the unit are just as likely or more likely to tell them not to do that sort of thing--to knock it off, but it would tend to stay in the unit. My point is the men and women in uniform--the enlisted ranks--will adjust to this new situation and by and large handle it amongst themselves.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede