A new scam?

Hazard

I just got a private message from joyzinga20@yahoo.in - I haven't been on OL for a few months and I can see no reason why she would message me. She also has NO active topics or posts. She even mentioned that she wanted to communicate through email. This sounds fishy! Anybody else get a similar message?

-Hazard

I just got a private message from joyzinga20@yahoo.in - I haven't been on OL for a few months and I can see no reason why she would message me. She also has NO active topics or posts. She even mentioned that she wanted to communicate through email. This sounds fishy! Anybody else get a similar message?

-Hazard

I received the same thing:

You have been sent a new personal conversation‏

From: Nobody (nobody@server30.ipslink.com) on behalf of Objectivist Living (katdaddy@comcast.net)

Sent: Thu 2/04/10 7:15 PM

joy has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "joyzinga20@yahoo.in".

joy said:

======================================================================

Hello Dear ,

My name is Miss joy, I got your contact details in (www.objectivistliving.com) and I'm interested in knowing you & being friendly with you . I would appreciate if we get acquainted as soon as possible, you can reach me through my private e-mail stated below so that we can get to know each other better.

My e-mail ( joyzinga20@yahoo.in)

I quite believe that we can start from here since it takes one to know someone. I want you to understand that race or distance does not matter but loving and caring matters a lot in life. I look forward to hear from you soonest.

Yours truly,

joy.

joyzinga20@yahoo.in

-Hazard

Yes. I just erased it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I just got a reply back from customer support and they told me the following. There is a script spammers run by signing up, then, as members, they send private messages to all the other members according to filters (such as "male").

There is no way to block this, but customer support told me of a way to keep the script from running. So I have limited the number of private messages for each member to 15 messages every 24 hours and only one message can be sent per minute. (I don't think anybody needs more than this at this time.)

Since these spammers usually attack a large number of forums in one whack and they depend on quantity and speed, this clogs their timing and they abandon the forum that has this restriction.

Michael

I just got a reply back from customer support and they told me the following. There is a script spammers run by signing up, then, as members, they send private messages to all the other members according to filters (such as "male").

There is no way to block this, but customer support told me of a way to keep the script from running. So I have limited the number of private messages for each member to 15 messages every 24 hours and only one message can be sent per minute. (I don't think anybody needs more than this at this time.)

Since these spammers usually attack a large number of forums in one whack and they depend on quantity and speed, this clogs their timing and they abandon the forum that has this restriction.

Michael

That gal's getting around - rofl

Michael

That gal's getting around - rofl

"...this clogs their timing and they abandon the forum that has this restriction."

Kinda like the way we should be strategically attacking al Qaeda in this asymmetrical war.

Adam

-Hazard

I did too.

-Hazard

It's not fishy. She wants your money. Since you're good looking she'll probably take you too, if she's a she or that other he she.

--Brant

vanity, all is vanity--or money--but that's why the world goes round