Middle Eastern Cookery

Ruth

I was wondering if Adonis could tell me where ras el hanout is sold in Auckland NZ. Also can one buy a large tagine anywhere in Auckland?

I am a keen cook and a big fan of 'Moorish' flavours, including Claudia Roden's excellent book "Tamarind and Saffron".

Thanks.

I was wondering if Adonis could tell me where ras el hanout is sold in Auckland NZ. Also can one buy a large tagine anywhere in Auckland?

I am a keen cook and a big fan of 'Moorish' flavours, including Claudia Roden's excellent book "Tamarind and Saffron".

Thanks.

Hi Ruth!

Thank you very much for your question! To be honest I simply don't know! I will ask around though.. Unfortunately I've only been in NZ for almost 2 months so I don't really get to see these things as I'm so busy.

Thanks.

I love well performed M.E. cuisine. The M.E. folks have lamb down pat. I prefer lamb to beef. Also goat is a real treat, when done properly. I am not ready for camel however. Rashi once said the Camel is not a wild animal but it isn't a domestic animal either.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I love well performed M.E. cuisine. The M.E. folks have lamb down pat. I prefer lamb to beef. Also goat is a real treat, when done properly. I am not ready for camel however. Rashi once said the Camel is not a wild animal but it isn't a domestic animal either.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Camel is delicious.. It is very domesticated though.

Thanks for your replies - I'm still looking. Middle Eastern cuisine seems to need specific ingredients which are not too easy to get here - preserved lemon, saffron powder and so on.

I found a large tagine at the weekend - unfortunately it is not from North Africa but from France, and it is slip-cast instead of hand-made, but never mind!

I've not tasted camel - but have tasted crocodile. It has a 'muddy' taste as you would expect. Goat is popular with the pacific island communities here as well - usually curried.

Thanks for your replies - I'm still looking. Middle Eastern cuisine seems to need specific ingredients which are not too easy to get here - preserved lemon, saffron powder and so on.

I found a large tagine at the weekend - unfortunately it is not from North Africa but from France, and it is slip-cast instead of hand-made, but never mind!

I've not tasted camel - but have tasted crocodile. It has a 'muddy' taste as you would expect. Goat is popular with the pacific island communities here as well - usually curried.

Ruth:

Goat is also a staple in the Caribbean and Guyana in South America. e.g. Roti with curry goat meat - Yummy.

The word 'roti' in the West Indies may also refer to a dish of stewed or curried ingredients wrapped in a 'roti skin'. In Trinidad and Tobago various rotis are served. Popular variations include chicken, conch, beef and vegetable. Shrimp and goat are available. The term is used locally in cities with large West Indian populations, such as Brooklyn, Toronto and Montreal. In such locales the dish has also become popular among non-West Indians.

While common variations may include chicken, beef, or cabbage and carrot, one of the more authentic alternatives (goat) is known as Groti.[citation needed]

In Suriname roti refers mainly to roti dahlpuri or roti aloopuri. It is most often eaten with chicken curry. Roti can also refer to a dish of stuffed and spiced roti wraps. Due to mass emigration of Surinam Hindustani in the 1970s, roti became a popular take-out dish in The Netherlands. It usually includes chicken curry, potatoes, boiled eggs and various vegetables, most notably the kousenband or yardlong bean. Another variation includes shrimp and aubergine. It is custom to eat the dish by hand.