Truth and Toleration

Mike Renzulli

I am almost done reading David Kelley's book Truth and Toleration. I must say it is a well-written and well thought out book.

I must admit to some concerns based on the claims made by orthodox Objectivists I have interacted with that Kelley wanted to change the philosophy or could not properly call his approach Objectivism might be confirmed when reading it.

Fortunately, it seems their claims are misguided or not based on fact.

I will be culminating an essay that ties in with Kelley's approach to Objectivism in due time.

Meantime, if you haven't done so already, I suggest every Objectivist read Kelley's book.

Edited by Mike Renzulli

I am almost done reading David Kelley's book Truth and Toleration. I must say it is a well-written and well thought out book.

I must admit to some concerns based on the claims made by orthodox Objectivists I have interacted with that Kelley wanted to change the philosophy or could not properly call his approach Objectivism might be confirmed when reading it.

Fortunately, it seems their claims are misguided or not based on fact.

I will be culminating an essay that ties in with Kelley's approach to Objectivism in due time.

Meantime, if you haven't done so already, I suggest every Objectivist read Kelley's book.

Mike; What an interesting idea. Getting what the person wrote and reading for yourself. I applaud your reading and your suggestions to others. Good for you!

Mike,

I agree with Chris.

I would add that the essay, "Truth and Toleration," is included in an expanded and updated edition, and re-titled:

The Contested Legacy of Ayn Rand: Truth and Toleration in Objectivism, by David Kelley (Transaction Publishers and The Objectivist Center, 2000), 128 pages. However, from the subtitle to your post, you may be referring to this later edition.

Anyway, the book is available either through The Atlas Society (aka, The Objectivist Center) or from Amazon.com - where you can also find reviews by readers, some hostile (from the "orthodox" ARIan crowd), and some complementary (including my own comments).

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Thanks Jerry and Chris for your kind words! As it turns out I did buy and read the 2000 edition.

After reading his book, I do not think Kelley wants to change Objectivism at all. Instead, he wants to compliment it with thoughts from people who are like-minded on certain issues even though they may not subscribe to Objectivism overall.

I think the main thrust of T&T is that Kelley thinks Objectivism should be debated and discussed based on logic and reason (which is what the philosophy is all about) and not commanded by authority which is how ARI and many of it's supporters seem to conduct themselves.

I also think many (though not all) hardcore ARI supporters (aka ARIans) also argue from intimidation as seen by many who post bad reviews of The Passion of Ayn Rand and My Years with Ayn Rand while stumping for the Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics at Amazon.com.

If the ARI approach to Objectivism is right, rather than look at their supporter base as an indication of their success, ARI heads should have no problem debating David Kelley, Ed Hudgins and William Thomas since they should have the upper hand.

You notice after all this time, they do not and have had to open up and halt many of the dogmatic, cultish practices Piekoff et all practiced for many years.

Unfortunately, the excommunications and dogmatism still is part of the ARI culture. This being the case, I doubt their success will last long.

Mike,

I agree with Chris.

I would add that the essay, "Truth and Toleration," is included in an expanded and updated edition, and re-titled:

The Contested Legacy of Ayn Rand: Truth and Toleration in Objectivism, by David Kelley (Transaction Publishers and The Objectivist Center, 2000), 128 pages. However, from the subtitle to your post, you may be referring to this later edition.

Anyway, the book is available either through The Atlas Society (aka, The Objectivist Center) or from Amazon.com - where you can also find reviews by readers, some hostile (from the "orthodox" ARIan crowd), and some complementary (including my own comments).

Edited by Mike Renzulli