Ruined Detroit as Ayn predicted

Peter

Detroit in ruins. Crowder goes ghetto. The video stops to load a couple of times at the beginning, but then it is smoother

Detroit was one of the most prosperous cities in America but 50 years ago Ayn Rand predicted in Atlas Shrugged, what has happened since. Devastating.

A lot of Detroit looks like a bombed out city. The author says this was caused by the teacher’s union, liberal bureaucracies since 1961 and the UAW.

It is scary but well worth watching. It reminds be of a book I read called, “Creepers” by Morrell, about urban archeologists.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

Great post:

From the left coast, a future Detroit now! The upside down houses ...the under the water houses...

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/764.html

I am somewhat interested in why we Randian influenced Atlas Shruggers keep assuming that the collapse as depicted in Atlas would look the same 5 decades later.

It would look just like it looks today.

Many here at OL have, shall we say, been quite cavalier in saying that the strike would never never ever work today because of all the technology that we have.

Really?

Adam

Excellent video Adam, I watched the whole thing. Detroit, Victorville, Philly, Buffalo . . . unfortunately, Atlas is not shrugging. The economy is collapsing. I think talented wage earners are going to diminish their losses by keeping their taxable income lower.

I just got my yearly stmt from Social Security, my first, for the six months I have been retired. Well, I won't be paying any taxes this year. On paper I am poor 8-) in my nice paid-for house, and two cars, and my 8 acres of ground.

I have no doubt inflation will be hot on my heels soon. I hope America is not the next Haiti. When the big quake hits California, perhaps the rich Mexicans will send aid.

Peter

Excellent video Adam, I watched the whole thing. Detroit, Victorville, Philly, Buffalo . . . unfortunately, Atlas is not shrugging. The economy is collapsing. I think talented wage earners are going to diminish their losses by keeping their taxable income lower.

I just got my yearly stmt from Social Security, my first, for the six months I have been retired. Well, I won't be paying any taxes this year. On paper I am poor 8-) in my nice paid-for house, and two cars, and my 8 acres of ground.

I have no doubt inflation will be hot on my heels soon. I hope America is not the next Haiti. When the big quake hits California, perhaps the rich Mexicans will send aid.

Peter

So, in essence, you are already on strike. Furthermore, you stated an interesting hypothesis, which I agree with, which is that most folks are on an organized suppression of their taxable income and that will increase.

Now I came up in NY City politics. Unionism is a big part of the game. The prelude to a strike is an organized slow down. The severe tipping points are approaching. The influx of taxes to the 50 states is plummeting. This, along with the commercial mortgage bubble and reality "knows" what the hell else will be hitting us globally aspects could literally pancake even this economic engine.

I think a strike works. The only problem is living through it.

Adam

Adam wrote:

I think a strike works. The only problem is living through it.

end quote

A commentator yesterday was saying China's bubble is about to burst. It will be 1932 again with the world in the grips of a depression.

I would not quit my day job.

Peter