Rand on Criminal Minds

Michael Stuart Kelly

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

The above quote is from The Journals of Ayn Rand, p 425. It is part of her notes for Dagny Taggart.

I just heard that quote on the TV show, Criminal Minds, in VO during a typical shot of an airplane+quote that is a signature of the show. The story was about a religious fanatic who was a mixture of Jim Jones, David Koresh and Warren Jeff.

A few days ago I posted another non-typical Rand quote presented on that show.

Here is a similar example with Rand, although the style is different. I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (which I like a lot, despite the following).

Part of the show's format is to include a quote at the beginning and at the end in VO that deals with the theme. In reflecting on the events involving a mass murderer, there was a shot of an airplane flying (if I remember correctly) and in VO you heard the following words:

We are all brothers under the skin—and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it. Ayn Rand

Ouch.

Is that really the way Rand thought? Of course not. That was a headline by Ellsworth Toohey in his column. But you wouldn't know it from the show.

Somebody over there knows his/her Ayn Rand.

Michael