How to *exit* gold boom near peak - Lepard weighs in

RidleyReport

Say it's the year 2011 and you believe the gold boom is nearing its end. What do you do with the yellow metal before it possibly crashes like it did after 1980?

Prominent Ron Paul backer and financial adviser Larry Lepard has a practical suggestion. This interview occurred right before his speech to Republican Liberty Caucus supporters in New Hampshire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz0BRCHnFs4

Diggable at:

http://digg.com/business_finance/How_to_exit_gold_boom_near_peak_Lepard_weighs_in

Why buy physical gold? You can get the same benefit by buying the GLD ETF.

What benefit is that?

GLD goes from X to 2X and you sell it and you pay the tax(es).

Your gold coin goes from X to 2X and you sell it you pay the tax if you're in the cut-your-own-throat business.

GLD turns out to be a fraud or the computers go dark for a couple of years ...?

Paper money goes up in value 100% so your gold goes down in value 50%--how likely is that?

You want the price of gold to crash so you can rush in and buy more hand over fist.

Gold topped out at $850 in 1980. It didn't stay there for long. Along came a man named Volcker and people rushed into stocks and long bonds. Is Volcker coming back? Nope, not in the age of "Helicopter Ben." You need at least $2000 gold to match that 1980 price compensating for inflation.

Buy gold using dollar-cost averaging and don't sell it. Just keep buying. The price will take care of itself; the dollar is going to zip.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

I assume you mean some kind of doomsday scenario. If that comes to pass, having gold coins will be the least of your worries. The world is not coming to an end.

I assume you mean some kind of doomsday scenario. If that comes to pass, having gold coins will be the least of your worries. The world is not coming to an end.

Forty years ago I knew that increased government spending, programs and regulations would lead first to less than generous economic expansion, especially for wage earners, then stagnation then implosion. We are now getting the implosion. I don't think the computers will go dark or GLD will prove to be a fraud. I own some myself. But what are you going to do if you need water, food and medicine and you (generic "you") can't shop because the store's computers are down for a week or looters have stripped the shelves bare or panicked shoppers beat you to the soda pop? The safe world for Americans is coming to an end and most have no idea about that or what that might entail.

--Brant

But what are you going to do if you need water, food and medicine and you (generic "you") can't shop because the store's computers are down for a week or looters have stripped the shelves bare

There is no way possible to prepare for anarchy. Further, I'm not interested in living in such a world. If the US degenerated into such a place I'd move somewhere safer or end my life.

But what are you going to do if you need water, food and medicine and you (generic "you") can't shop because the store's computers are down for a week or looters have stripped the shelves bare

There is no way possible to prepare for anarchy. Further, I'm not interested in living in such a world. If the US degenerated into such a place I'd move somewhere safer or end my life.

In terms of what we are doing to ourselves as a nation we will eventually stabilize out at an overall lesser standard of living. Passage of the health care bill would be a good warning to pack up and move out if one can. It can't be paid for.

--Brant

Perhaps you might be amused and enlightened to listen to the wisdom of Chris Martenson, a Fortune 300 VP and research analyst who has a twenty video crash course on his website:

www.chrismartenson.com

I am prone to paranoia but also willing to listen to reason. I am also hoping that a better mind will find the fallacies in CM's contentions.

Most of the videos are less than twenty minutes each and there is a 45 minute version. I eagerly await someone's revelation that life as we know it will continue with new fangled technology getting me to and from work each day and food finding its way from the farms to the cities and the like forever and ever.

gulch